Working before start time

JonFrum

Getting paid for "off the clock" work is not just in the Contract; not just a good idea; it's The LAW. The burden is on the Employer to either prevent the practice, or allow the practice and pay the worker for his time.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Fact Sheet

"By statutory definition the term "employ" includes "to suffer or permit to work." . . .

"Employees "Suffered or Permitted" to work: Work not requested but suffered or permitted to be performed is work time that must be paid for by the employer."
- - - -
It's rare that a regular member will be brought up on internal Union charges. Usually it's for crossing a primary strikeline to work. The fine is typically the amount of money the member earned while scabbing.

Hey i know theres the big arguement with drivers starting early, how about preloaders starting early? At my building lots of people will start anywhere from just a couple minutes to 15 minutes before start time. Most just get totes set up in their work area. Some will get the side panels that protect from fallen packages onto the belt and as well move unload rollers and remove send agains. Ive talked with management and they had a pcm for not working before start time and you could have discipline. Still many work for free. We used to have people set up each belt 10-20 minutes early but they took it away. Should i file on it, with co-workers getting pissed off for ratting them out or ignore and let people keep working for free and focus on other issues.
Two other stewards and I all filed article 17 grievances on this. The company put a stop to it and with a little reminder from time to time it's been rectified. It's entirely possible but it can get heated with your coworkers. It helps to have the respect of the majority of your members.

C

chitterling

neither ups or the brotherhood cares.....just keep paying your dues........you'll see how tight they are in 2013.when they don't address issues like excessive overtime and you and i keep fattening both their faces Casey had a vision that is now blinded by GR$$D!!!!!!!!!! they know what's up before you even cast a vote. should rename the company hoffa&davis

brown_trousers

If an employee was brought up on union charges,what would happen to them..best and worst case senerios???
just to clarify.. It is NOT a violation to work off the clock, it is however a violation for UPS to let you work off the clock. There is a big difference.

No "charges" can be brought against an employee working off the clock because they did not violate any contract language

Ptrunner

just to clarify.. It is NOT a violation to work off the clock, it is however a violation for UPS to let you work off the clock. There is a big difference.

No "charges" can be brought against an employee working off the clock because they did not violate any contract language

No but they can be charged with failure to follow instructions or insubordination when they PCM not to work before start time and people do. Were now having spotty warning letters coming to some people. That sets up harassment because they have only given them to some who start early and not all.

brown_trousers

No but they can be charged with failure to follow instructions or insubordination when they PCM not to work before start time and people do. Were now having spotty warning letters coming to some people. That sets up harassment because they have only given them to some who start early and not all.

true, but I was referring to getting in trouble with the union. the teamsters have no rule prohibiting someone from starting early (off the clock).

Duha

In my hub we just have people that have there start time early to setup the area's before hand. We did have a guy that would go down to hazmat after we finished up and worked down there for free, needless to say when we all found out that don't happen no more lol. we took care of him maifa style... na we just grieved it and grieved it and kept grieving it till upper management couldn't take it anymore,problem solved.

bigblu 2 you

true, but I was referring to getting in trouble with the union. the teamsters have no rule prohibiting someone from starting early (off the clock).
wow,has it come to making"rules"to keep laborers from providing services for free? show some pride in yourselves and the brotherhood.i bet all people who work off the clock think they are going to get...favoritism,pats on the back,a break when needed,the best job available,company perks...etc.etc. after 28 years at ups ive seen the greenhorns and brown-nosers work feverishly to impress and when the honeymoon is over they get kicked out just like the do it by the bookers. the difference is the look of "ive just been used" and "you owe me " on their mug when disciplined.personally i dont even like walking in the building off the clock,,,i just feel cheap. but some donate daily for "all the right reasons" then complain about dues,cost of living,buying ups socks,etc.WORKING OFF THE CLOCK AT UPS IS LIKE SENDING THE TERRORIST NETWORK A CARE PACKAGE. just sayin..

brown_trousers

wow,has it come to making"rules"to keep laborers from providing services for free?

wow.. where have you been living all your life? apparently not in America. This is how it works over here in the United States. Rules are either written down officially, or they are not enforceable. Arguments about the "rules of morality" are nothing but subjective rhetoric at best.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
wow,has it come to making"rules"to keep laborers from providing services for free?
wow.. where have you been living all your life? apparently not in America. This is how it works over here in the United States. Rules are either written down officially, or they are not enforceable. Arguments about the "rules of morality" are nothing but subjective rhetoric at best.

Whoooosh!

bigblu 2 you

you didnt have to reply,your location replies for you. hippie heaven.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
[SUB]People who work off the clock are incredibly self centered . They're either ignorant of the side affects of there action or they just don’t care. [/SUB]

Catatonic

Nine Lives
[SUB]People who work off the clock are incredibly self centered . They're either ignorant of the side affects of their action or they just don’t care. [/SUB]

I think I know what you are trying to say although neither of the 2 states provided in sentence 2 would be the result of being self-centered nor would the 2 states imply being self-centered.

Perhaps you went a little overboard.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I think I know what you are trying to say although neither of the 2 states provided in sentence 2 would be the result of being self-centered nor would the 2 states imply being self-centered.

Perhaps you went a little overboard.

I might have gone little overboard, I should've expressed myself more carefully and used egocentric, instead of self centered