Working Christmas

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Curious if you have any knowledge of mechanics and how stuff works. I have been educated quite a bit formally and informally.

Newer cars are more complex, more sensors, more expensive things to go wrong. It's now to the point where after 5 years, things start to break and it's more cost effective to just get a new car. But hey what do I know

Look on Craigslist for 80s diesel Benz, old Hondas and old Toyota, they are still tons of money because they are from a day of over engineering and thinking for the long run.
They were the first generation of cars to be reliable past 100k miles. They most certainly earned their reputation but there's really no reason with proper upkeep any new vehicle shouldn't last at least 200k.

I agree vehicles are much more complex it's a pain in the ass to work on them but fact of the matter is no one wants to do their own work on their vehicles anymore.

Brownslave688

Did you know the parts on a new car are designed only to outlast the warranty? Even when you buy new OEM parts you will never get the same part again. Engineered sh*.
Warranties are far longer than they ever were before.

Fact of the matter is most people trade in their cars every 3-4 years. just giving the consumer what they want.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Warranties are far longer than they ever were before.

Fact of the matter is most people trade in their cars every 3-4 years. just giving the consumer what they want.
I remember when Chrysler's pride was their 7 year/100,000 mile Powertrain Pledge. Then over the years I watched it sink and sink until it was sitting as low as your basic 3/36 I believe. It's up to 5/60 now but still nothing like it was.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Curious if you have any knowledge of mechanics and how stuff works. I have been educated quite a bit formally and informally.

Newer cars are more complex, more sensors, more expensive things to go wrong. It's now to the point where after 5 years, things start to break and it's more cost effective to just get a new car. But hey what do I know

Look on Craigslist for 80s diesel Benz, old Hondas and old Toyota, they are still tons of money because they are from a day of over engineering and thinking for the long run.

Give me a break. Post-1990's cars, even American, are much more reliable and last much longer than anything before.

Did you know the parts on a new car are designed only to outlast the warranty? Even when you buy new OEM parts you will never get the same part again. Engineered sh*.

Nope.

That means you never owned a car built in the 60's 70's or 80's. New cars will run 100k with just changing the oil. New cars have never been more reliable.

Bingo!

Brownslave688

http://jalopnik.com/5682540/ten-reliable-desirable-classic-cars/

I rest my case. Enjoy your new cars and replacing 600 dollar crank sensors and 400 dollar window regulators

Nothing more reliable than a old vw beatle, old friend series pick up, 80s toyotas and 80s benz
Your case is what? In 30 years there will be a list of reliable cars from the 2010's to own.

There's stars and duds from every decade.

Ps. I don't own a car with under 200k I think I'm doing just fine.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
http://jalopnik.com/5682540/ten-reliable-desirable-classic-cars/

I rest my case. Enjoy your new cars and replacing 600 dollar crank sensors and 400 dollar window regulators

Nothing more reliable than a old vw beatle, old friend series pick up, 80s toyotas and 80s benz

Referencing an article from 2010 doesn't really support your argument.

Besides that, the cars mentioned in that article are pretty much not mainstream now, if even then. A 1960 something Plymouth Valiant? Just try to find parts for that now.

Brownslave688

Referencing an article from 2010 doesn't really support your argument.

Besides that, the cars mentioned in that article are pretty much not mainstream now, if even then. A 1960 something Plymouth Valiant? Just try to find parts for that now.
It better be reliable. Lmao

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Your case is what? In 30 years there will be a list of reliable cars from the 2010's to own.

There's stars and duds from every decade.

Ps. I don't own a car with under 200k I think I'm doing just fine.

I'm thinking your old Ranger should be in some kind of hall-of-fame.