Working doubles as a part timer?

Ant12

I'm 17 and im a loader and I've been in the company for 7 months, but technically 4 months seniority due to first being a seasonal hire then getting rehired. I turn 18 this summer and I may get bored so is it possible that I could work doubles? I know I can't work them until I turn 18 because of child labor laws or whatever but do you need a certain amount of seniority to work doubles? Also who would I even ask lol? I've heard of people just showing up for a shift and working

Ant12

You want to spend more time at UPS? When I was your age I was more concerned with getting laid.
Lol I work the twilight so I work from like 5-10 everyday in the evening. Not much to do before 5 unfortunately :( if I worked a morning shirt or something it would be a different story lol

PT Car Washer

I don't think you can just show up and UPS will put you to work. Have to go by seniority. Ask around if anybody is working any doubles. My building has double shifters on preload almost everyday. Our day sort uses double shifters on Sunday. Double shifting varies by building, sorts and time of year. Some of the higher seniority PTers can make more then Art 22.3 because of OT after 5 hours in a day.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm 17 and im a loader and I've been in the company for 7 months, but technically 4 months seniority due to first being a seasonal hire then getting rehired. I turn 18 this summer and I may get bored so is it possible that I could work doubles? I know I can't work them until I turn 18 because of child labor laws or whatever but do you need a certain amount of seniority to work doubles? Also who would I even ask lol? I've heard of people just showing up for a shift and working

I worked in smalls (at one point) on twilight and for about a year I would double whenever they'd let me. I'd wait around for the next shift to start and if they needed someone they'd let me work. If not I'd go home. If I had really wanted to I could have been placed somewhere loading or unloading if smalls wasn't available. I never did though. I was essentially triple shifting when I doubled because I worked the noonday shift at RPS too. So and extra shift in smalls was just about all I could handle.

AndUPSER

I know on Mondays at my building they will let anybody double shift. And what labor laws prevent you from working 8-10 hour days when you're off school.

IzzyTheNose

If you're working Twilight, after your sort is over, talk to the leads on Loadside and Unload, and ask if they need any help. If they don't, just split, but give them your number before you leave. If they want to use you, tell them you'll take your 30 minute break, and come back to work for them.

I've showed up to Preload early Sunday/Monday mornings because there's a lot of guys for that sort who call off, and knew they could use me. All it took was that one day for the Unload lead to see how I worked, and asked me if I wanted to come back the next day, and so on.

They're supposed to go by seniority when they use double-shifters, but they won't always make the effort to call the senior most hourly if they know you're the harder worker. I don't even bother putting my name on the double-shifting list anymore, because all the leads from Twilight and Preload know me and my work, and I get called throughout the year to double-shift, like I am now.

Just remember not to brag about it. There's always some worthless A-hole who has zero intention of doubling, but wants that "free" grievance check money. These are the guys that kill double-shifting for those that are actually willing to work when they're needed.

IzzyTheNose

True but you're purposely being secretive to get work that should be offered to others first.

<shrug> I've been working at my hub long enough to know most people don't want to double-shift. Even those that add their name to the extra work list. Last week the Twilight lead called me in, and thanked me again for coming in, because he really needed the help. I asked him how many double-shifters he was using. He said he needed 8, and only two returned his texts.

The extra work list is 2 pages long. From week to week, this is totally normal.