Working during vacation

Hey guys..........I was wondering if someone could help. I am a 10 year employee and a 7 TCD, not full time yet but will be next any time now. I was on vacation this week but was called in to drive this morning because the center mgr. said they were severely short handed and basically begged me. I agreed and went in. So, because I drove during my vacation, am I entitled to a higher rate? Several other drivers seem to think so but I can't find it in the contract and can't reach my steward. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!
No just reg. time after 8 time and in a half. But in my local language reads if you are called in to work on vacation you will get paid at centers start time. So if start time is 0840 and you say to your mgr. make it at 0840 and then show up at 1145 they have to pay you. Domthat once and they will never call you again. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Notretiredyet

We had issues with people choosing prime summer weeks then working them in the past, thereby screwing a lower senority guy from a chance at a summer week. Our local now has language in the local rider that puts a person who works on a scheduled vacation week at the bottom of the seniority list. If they work its on the last available route, after the bid coverage drivers. They don't get to do their bid route if they have one, that fixed the problem. If you need the money take the payoff. JMO

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We had issues with people choosing prime summer weeks then working them in the past, thereby screwing a lower senority guy from a chance at a summer week. Our local now has language in the local rider that puts a person who works on a scheduled vacation week at the bottom of the seniority list. If they work its on the last available route, after the bid coverage drivers. They don't get to do their bid route if they have one, that fixed the problem. If you need the money take the payoff. JMO
​Yep and that is the way it should be. Not only does it screw someone out of a prime week it screws a cover driver out of a bid rte for the week.

AKCoverMan

I have worked a few vacation days before, never a whole week. The times I have worked were on weeks that I had bid off to go to some event at the end of the week and into the weekend..i.e. fly out on Wednesday night and come home Sunday afternoon or evening. So Monday and Tuesday are basically open days and on occasion I have been called in when the sick list overfloweth. Sometimes I say "yes" sometimes "no".

I agree with everyone who says you should get your vacation and you have no obligation to go in or even answer your phone. But if there is a route open and I an not doing anything else and would like to bank the bonus money, and no other driver is being denied work then I can't see a problem with going in for a day. I'm simply pre-funding my weekend spending money!

I would have a problem with someone bidding off in July then working the whole week for extra $$ if that were a week I wanted off.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Being denied work and not getting a bid because the regular driver decided that they wanted to work is not necessarily the same thing. You bid vacation - you take vacation. Simple as that - end of story. If you're off then you're off. I have NO sympathy what so ever for this. Bid off - don't work.

Bad Gas!

I'm glad I'm in the position financially where I don't need to work on any vacation days anymore..And, the wife doesn't allow it because she is my real boss..But I see younger drivers everyday surpriseingly working a few vacation days..Even the union steward...We don't apparently have any contract language against it in the Southern conference..Personally, I can't get enough days off anymore..The money is great but time off rules!

CaptainObvious

We had issues with people choosing prime summer weeks then working them in the past, thereby screwing a lower senority guy from a chance at a summer week.

I remember many higher seniority drivers doing this very same thing back when I didn't have a bid and never got any prime summer vacation time. Apparently there were many others that this must have happened to also. Now our Supplement says this:

J. (1) Employees have the option of taking all vacation earned and receiving forty-five(45) hours vacation pay for each week, or working and receiving pay for forty-five (45) hours straight time in addition to hours worked, according to the following schedule.

EARNED VACATION WEEKS/PAYMENT OPTION WEEKS

1 or 2 weeks = 0

3 weeks = 1

4,5,6 weeks= 2

(2) Employees choosing to work during their vacation shall indicate that option at their vacation selection time. Once an employee chooses to work a vacation week they must work the full week. Such weeks shall not be considered toward the calculation of the percentage of employees allowed off during that week.

AKCoverMan

Being denied work and not getting a bid because the regular driver decided that they wanted to work is not necessarily the same thing. You bid vacation - you take vacation. Simple as that - end of story. If you're off then you're off. I have NO sympathy what so ever for this. Bid off - don't work.

Maybe there is a different process at your center than mine.. I don't see where my coming in to work on a day of my vacation prevents anyone from bidding on an open route. Are you talking about cover drivers bidding on routes whos drivers on on vacation. Sadly we don't do that.

Bottom line is I don't want to screw anybody..and can't see where I am. Maybe it's being percieved as me doing management a favor, I see that $300 check on the week I would not have gotten anything as a favor to me. I am not doing it to save their hind quarters. But I admit I don't have the deep visceral unilateral hatred for management that I would say no just to screw them.

But if I am missing something I am all ears.

DiadTribe

you should be paid time and a half.
And the person who should have run the route should file to be paid.
And you should be told by your BA that you are not allowed to work on your vacation.
And management should be severely reprimanded for even calling you.
Should I go on?

happybob

Feeders
There is a run sitting with nobody available to do the work.

1. All drivers are working, nobody on layoff.
2. Cover drivers choose the routes they want to do for that day.
3. All drivers working the day were offered extra work to be added to their runs from the sitting run and all refused.

A. Break the run down and force it upon the drivers available.
B. Call the drivers on vacation that day in seniority order to see if one of them want the work oportunity, or
C. Have a supervisor do the route.

In Feeders we have sign up lists for extra work available on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. We get called in, we get premium pay for that day. Why not have the same kind of list, in both Feeders and Package, for drivers on vacation that want to get called in to cover the kind of situation listed above. Since Feeders have Sun-Thu, Mon-Fri and Tue-Sat schedules, the scheduled off drivers would get offered the work before the vacation call in list is used.

If I'm doing a staycation then I would want to earn that premium pay before the company gets to use a supervisor to do the work.

Nimnim

The Nim
I've worked one day out of all my vacations so far, but working inside the hub no one cares if you work through your vacation. No one is displaced unless the area is overstaffed which is virtually never, and even then you're still working regardless just as if no one was on vacation. If people are being displaced or laid off then I certainly agree people shouldn't be able to work through their vacations. Though I have no problems with management calling in people who are on vacation to fill in the gaps if it keeps sups from working in the absence.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I remember many higher seniority drivers doing this very same thing back when I didn't have a bid and never got any prime summer vacation time. Apparently there were many others that this must have happened to also. Now our Supplement says this:

J. (1) Employees have the option of taking all vacation earned and receiving forty-five(45) hours vacation pay for each week, or working and receiving pay for forty-five (45) hours straight time in addition to hours worked, according to the following schedule.

EARNED VACATION WEEKS/PAYMENT OPTION WEEKS

1 or 2 weeks = 0

3 weeks = 1

4,5,6 weeks= 2

(2) Employees choosing to work during their vacation shall indicate that option at their vacation selection time. Once an employee chooses to work a vacation week they must work the full week. Such weeks shall not be considered toward the calculation of the percentage of employees allowed off during that week.
​Interesting language.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Maybe there is a different process at your center than mine.. I don't see where my coming in to work on a day of my vacation prevents anyone from bidding on an open route. Are you talking about cover drivers bidding on routes whos drivers on on vacation. Sadly we don't do that.

Bottom line is I don't want to screw anybody..and can't see where I am. Maybe it's being percieved as me doing management a favor, I see that $300 check on the week I would not have gotten anything as a favor to me. I am not doing it to save their hind quarters. But I admit I don't have the deep visceral unilateral hatred for management that I would say no just to screw them.

But if I am missing something I am all ears.
I am talking that exactly - bidded vacation drivers coming in on their vacation and thinking they are going to do their rte. BS! It doesn't affect me anymore but it has in the past and that is wrong. If I bid that rte and can't have it because a driver comes back to work and I get stuck with a crap rte that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.......... NOPE we got that schiatt stopped with the last contract. And any driver that comes in thinking that's going to happen now.............. WRONG I will file on that crap in a heart beat. I didn't like that when it happened to me and I won't let it happen to another driver below me.

We do bid on vacation'd rtes.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
you should be paid time and a half.
And the person who should have run the route should file to be paid.
And you should be told by your BA that you are not allowed to work on your vacation.
And management should be severely reprimanded for even calling you.
Should I go on?
Please do. I couldn't agree with you more!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

3. All drivers working the day were offered extra work to be added to their runs from the sitting run and all refused.

B. Call the drivers on vacation that day in seniority order to see if one of them want the work oportunity, or

In Feeders we have sign up lists for extra work available on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. We get called in, we get premium pay for that day. Why not have the same kind of list, in both Feeders and Package, for drivers on vacation that want to get called in to cover the kind of situation listed above. Since Feeders have Sun-Thu, Mon-Fri and Tue-Sat schedules, the scheduled off drivers would get offered the work before the vacation call in list is used.

If I'm doing a staycation then I would want to earn that premium pay before the company gets to use a supervisor to do the work.
Sounds like your mgt needs to hire more people. WTH is your steward doing?

AKCoverMan

I am talking that exactly - bidded vacation drivers coming in on their vacation and thinking they are going to do their rte. BS! It doesn't affect me anymore but it has in the past and that is wrong. If I bid that rte and can't have it because a driver comes back to work and I get stuck with a crap rte that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.......... NOPE we got that schiatt stopped with the last contract. And any driver that comes in thinking that's going to happen now.............. WRONG I will file on that crap in a heart beat. I didn't like that when it happened to me and I won't let it happen to another driver below me.

We do bid on vacation'd rtes.

Totally agree that would be wrong. I wish we did get to bid on open routes that way. I do not hold a bid route (by choice) so I would not be bumping someone off a route in any event.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Supervisors should NEVER be running a route, allowing that is keeping a PT'er out of a package car. Grieve it.