Working fast

billerz

The point of this thread was about something I've been doing lately. Most days I'm just on cruise control, clock in, run my air, blah blah...
I know what my speed is, and I go that speed. I've learned that the best thing to do is find a pace that you think is fair, and work at that speed.
But some times I just want to see how well I can perform, and I try to follow the methods perfectly while moving at a good speed. The kind of pace that would make a supervisor smile lol.
I never do this the whole day, only when I'm feeling up for it. I just can see my improvement over the last year or so since I went full time, and I'm kind of testing myself.
Do any of you, especially the newer guys, do this? I know I'm probably losing a little money but that's ok. Btw I'm never unsafe or straining myself, just testing my limits.

wayfair

swollen member
The point of this thread was about something I've been doing lately. Most days I'm just on cruise control, clock in, run my air, blah blah...
I know what my speed is, and I go that speed. I've learned that the best thing to do is find a pace that you think is fair, and work at that speed.
But some times I just want to see how well I can perform, and I try to follow the methods perfectly while moving at a good speed. The kind of pace that would make a supervisor smile lol.
I never do this the whole day, only when I'm feeling up for it. I just can see my improvement over the last year or so since I went full time, and I'm kind of testing myself.
Do any of you, especially the newer guys, do this? I know I'm probably losing a little money but that's ok. Btw I'm never unsafe or straining myself, just testing my limits.

work fast????

no, we have orion

The contract says a "fair days work for a fair days pay". We all have good days and bad days. Plus as you get older your work knowledge improves but sometimes your physical abilities decline. It all works out in the end.

Man Of Brown

I'm on my second year so I would say I'm "newer." I've had times when I'm feeling good, trace is nice and tight, and my load is all setup so I go. I follow methods, take breaks, etc. but sometimes it feels good to just bang out a resi section.

Don't make a habit of it though. When guys say here that you'll get more work, it's true. They aren't just saying that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I used to burn routes up all the time just because I could. Having to help other people gets old though. Every time you think you're gonna roll in to the building at 5 oclock, you get the green light when you're down to your last few stops. Screw that, I usually just cruise through the day now.

Sometimes I get bored with routes I know really well though. I'll run them completely out of trace, like fully backwards just for the heck of it. I don't know how bid drivers don't lose their minds doing the same thing over and over everyday.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The contract says a "fair days work for a fair days pay". We all have good days and bad days. Plus as you get older your work knowledge improves but sometimes your physical abilities decline. It all works out in the end.
^^^^^^That my friend is a hell of a great comment.

Grey

I used to burn routes up all the time just because I could. Having to help other people gets old though. Every time you think you're gonna roll in to the building at 5 oclock, you get the green light when you're down to your last few stops. Screw that, I usually just cruise through the day now.

Sometimes I get bored with routes I know really well though. I'll run them completely out of trace, like fully backwards just for the heck of it. I don't know how bid drivers don't lose their minds doing the same thing over and over everyday.

That's the main reason I stopped busting my ass. You'll just have to go help someone. You get punished for finishing faster.

billerz

Since we have Orion they don't want people taking stops off each other, the most they will do is have someone get your air if you're going to be out late.

Holydriver

That's what I'm saying. I started listening to music later in the day as boredom set in, but now I put in headphones earlier and earlier each day. Same businesses, same receivers, same resi stops that get stuff every single day, same bumpy roads. It's mind numbing boredom

billerz

I'm on my second year so I would say I'm "newer." I've had times when I'm feeling good, trace is nice and tight, and my load is all setup so I go. I follow methods, take breaks, etc. but sometimes it feels good to just bang out a resi section.
At least I'm not the only one lol, I'm definitely not a runner, never skip any break, and I usually run a little over allowed.
Just sometimes, like once a week, I'll have 15 or so stops that I do this. Most of the time I just work safe.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
That's what I'm saying. I started listening to music later in the day as boredom set in, but now I put in headphones earlier and earlier each day. Same businesses, same receivers, same resi stops that get stuff every single day, same bumpy roads. It's mind numbing boredom
You wear headphones while working as a ups driver?

Umm that's probably not a good idea being that you have to drive.

Jesus Christ.

Holydriver

Jesus Christ.
I do it daily.

Do you say this because I'm in a PC? Because in my personal car I don't hesitate to have the music cranked even when the windows are rolled up. I guess both are unsafe?

km3

Jesus Christ.

It's illegal to wear headphones while operating any motor vehicle, commercial or otherwise, where I am. The drivers either have boomboxes or portable speakers for their phones/mp3 players.

wayfair

swollen member
It's illegal to wear headphones while operating any motor vehicle, commercial or otherwise, where I am. The drivers either have boomboxes or portable speakers for their phones/mp3 players.

We have a deaf car washer in my building.

He even has a drivers license!