Working for Free?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

So the hours are not reflected on my timecard. If my start time didn't change, but I was asked to come in early the whole week...I just don't understand...maybe one day out of the week my start-time could remain the same, but if I'm being asked to arrive early the whole week and my start-time has not changed...how can I know if those hours were even recorded.
Who would I go see to request a time-card summary of my week?
They're recorded if you punched in. It's reflected in GTS, which is the system management uses for your timecard. But it won't show up on your totals. Talk to your sup and make sure the start time is being changed. But if you only noticed it through the punch in system I'm starting to think they did change your time. It's pretty easy to notice when you're missing hours of pay.

SafeYARDdog

They're recorded if you punched in. It's reflected in GTS, which is the system management uses for your timecard. But it won't show up on your totals. Talk to your sup and make sure the start time is being changed. But if you only noticed it through the punch in system I'm starting to think they did change your time. It's pretty easy to notice when you're missing hours of pay.
+ OP, you are not the only one. They cut off total hours of ignorant employees. Find your steward, grieve it to make sure it wont happen again. Don't let it be too late to grieve.

rickyb

Going to start this thread off with an example from recently, although the problem goes back a few years.
My boss has me report to work at 2:45am and I work till about 8:15am.
So why does my time card only show me working 4 hours?
This has been happening a lot ever since I joined UPS and I've addressed my supervisors about it time and time again. They always just tell me that they'll take care of it. I check my time-card again...no change.

So here is my rant. Can UPS really have us working for free...i mean legally...or can I attempt a grievance...just saying, when I'm requested to come in early and stay later, shouldn't I be paid for that time?
But then again this is UPS so maybe there is some way they get away with it.
If this is something I should look into, I'd like to hear where I might start.
An hour or two a week working for free wouldn't be so bad but over a course of 3 seasons...I don't know what to do. HR, the Union...they all just tell me what I want to hear but nothing really gets done.

why r u still with ups???

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Going to start this thread off with an example from recently, although the problem goes back a few years.
My boss has me report to work at 2:45am and I work till about 8:15am.
So why does my time card only show me working 4 hours?
This has been happening a lot ever since I joined UPS and I've addressed my supervisors about it time and time again. They always just tell me that they'll take care of it. I check my time-card again...no change.

So here is my rant. Can UPS really have us working for free...i mean legally...or can I attempt a grievance...just saying, when I'm requested to come in early and stay later, shouldn't I be paid for that time?
But then again this is UPS so maybe there is some way they get away with it.
If this is something I should look into, I'd like to hear where I might start.
An hour or two a week working for free wouldn't be so bad but over a course of 3 seasons...I don't know what to do. HR, the Union...they all just tell me what I want to hear but nothing really gets done.

wtf-did-u-say.gif

You'd run a lemonade stand into bankruptcy !!
End your career. :whiteflag:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I understand the other power rangers who comes in extra early are also technically working for free. Sometimes a whole hour and a half because there is times when the computer wont allow anyone to clock in. If the adjustments are made...who knows? What if our supervisors have been accumulating so many free hours for so long that it becomes part of the everyday operations?
you must be from another planet.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Home-girl is not a supervisor and I do not stalk her. If adding someone as a friend on FB, and giving them a birthday gift is stalking than we're an entire nation of stalkers.
But that's a left turn. She was however the one who told me the various ways one can file a grievance.

Look alls i'm saying is, working for free here and there an hour a day once a week is alright by me, but after months of inconsistent start times and unaccounted hours, its starting to become a bother.
you would be punked out within an hour in prison.

TheKid99

I refuse to work 1 minute for free. If my start time is 17:00, I'm not doing anything until 17:00. At my hub, all of the loaders start times are 5 minutes after the sort begins. The thing is, all of them that have no brain start when the sort starts. I figured it out and if I worked 5 minutes for free every day, it would save the company about $400. $400 may be a little high for most pt workers, but I usually get at least 6 hours of ot a week.

When I switched from preload to twilight, they were getting mad at me because I refused to start 5 minutes early. I told them flat out I refuse to work for free. When they had a pt sup take over my load during the 5 minute free period, I immediately got my union steward. They eventually gave me the 5 extra minutes, earning me an extra $400 a year.

I do the same thing

It drives my pt sup nuts

He say

The others start early why cant you

I say good for them im not working for free

He's speachless

arice11

What job do you do?
What job do you do?
I'm a preloader. and I'm not the only one who consistently works off the clock everyday.
I'm one of the three irreg crew who is there before the computers are even up and running, already 30 minutes into the trailer. I hate working for free, but if I didn't, my preload would be a whole half to an hour behind.
That's just how lagged and chaotic the preload is.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm a preloader. and I'm not the only one who consistently works off the clock everyday.
I'm one of the three irreg crew who is there before the computers are even up and running, already 30 minutes into the trailer. I hate working for free, but if I didn't, my preload would be a whole half to an hour behind.
That's just how lagged and chaotic the preload is.

As I'm a stockholder in this company, Please Keep Doing It Then.