Working Friday?

inmt

We havent been real sure what we will get paid for today's work. It says 1 1/2 time when upser works on a ups holiday, yet the word is our sup's are saying we will be getting straight pay plus the holiday pay of 8 hours. We were told to put in code 03 in our boards instead of the usual 06. does this stand out to anyone?

ddomino

We used code 03 and air drivers used code 3A. We were told that the three gives us the holiday pay plus the time worked at double time. Code three is like 05 except used on a holiday to indicate holiday pay in addition to time worked, but not guaranteed 8.

I do believe the company can force anyone to work on a holiday or a non work day, Sat or Sun. Several years ago are whole center was forced to work on a Saturday. I spoke to the BA and he said they could only force the number they had 8 hours for. Well many, if not all, worked less than 8. I forget the details, but I filed a greviance and all those below me on the seniorty list would have gotten paid for 8. Not long after this it was sugested to me, you know the way mgmt does, that if I wante'd to keep my job to drop the greviance. They said the decision on who worked was made higher up, and if I continued this they were to find a reason to terminate me. Needless to say, I dropped the greviance.

tieguy

Banned
The decision as to who would work should have been readily endorsed by the union. The union wants union members working all days not management and other non-union workers. It sounds like your union did not give you that insight if they had you running around looking for some type of weekend work conspiracy.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We were once forced to work on Saturday too. It was in 1996 when the Olympics came here to Atlanta. I had 250 signature required 2nd Day Letters with Event tickets in them on my area. The Olympics spent six million dollars building a Beach Vollyball Event near my area and only used it two days. This was later turned over to the local county and has been seldom used since. What a waste. I took my family down to Olympic Park a couple of days after Eric Rudolph bombed it. I was able to talk a UPS Host into giving me a Brown Package Car Pin since we didn't get any in my Center. I turned down Forty bucks for it and still have it today. But I will say, although I hated to be forced to work on a day off, I now enjoy the extra bucks when I get the chance.

over9five

Staff member
"I now enjoy the extra bucks when I get the chance."

{Sigh} Me too. When I was younger, I would never want to work a day off.

Now, with one almost in college, and another getting close... I'll take that extra money, thank you!

U

Unregistered

Fredly00
You must not be able to read or you cannot comprehend what you have read. There is no contract language to cite. Really now! Pay close attention Fredly. I said the day off with pay is a SIMPLE PHONE CALL AWAY. And by the way, come the following Monday, try as they (mgt.) may, You cannot be disciplined for being "sick"