Working In More Than One Area

herbigharo32

Lately, I have been working in more than one area of the sort facility. This day started on outbound then went to unload. After unloading a late truck, I was then sent to small sorts. It would seem that I am now a member of the elite who gets deployed wherever needed. This is not such a bad deal as I am getting 20+ hours a week now. When doing just small sorts, I was doing good to get 15 hours.

When I learned the scope of all the work areas in the building, I would definitely like to go full time and quit my other job. The only real hang up is they are going to close the day sort next year leaving just sunrise and twilight. But, hey....my sleep schedule is weird already LOL!!

herbigharo32

I don't think this was ever enforced at the hub I work at. The quality of representation by the union is lacking at best. I even approached with an open checkbook to request membership information and never heard a peep. From what I understand, this union (refering to my area) typically deals with full timers. All my benefits is being managed by UPS, not the Teamster's union.

To join or not to join depends more on the individual. If a person been with the company as full timer for many years and has good rapport with the union, they will likely get good representation. On the other hand, the guy that sits in the corner and eats alone (we know who these people are) will probably not get good representation. Only you can determine rather you will or may get good representation or not. In summary, I tend to see the union as another financial product where results will vary. If I believe that $25.00 per month will buy extra job security, I would happily pay it. :greedy:

JonFrum

. . . When doing just small sorts, I was doing good to get 15 hours. . .
You are guaranteed 3.5 hours a day minimum. But you may have to ask for (demand) it if your Supervisor tries to send you home early "voluntarily."

The entire Contract applies to you as a bargaining unit member, even if you are not in the Union. Usually just asking your Supervisor for your daily guarantee is enough to get it. If not, then you'll have to see your steward, and in an extreme case, file a grievence. The Union has to process your grievence.

Going home early may make you inelligible for Health Insurance and Pension Vesting by the way. This varies area to area.
- - - - -
Article 22 --- Part-Time Employees
Section 5. Wages
"(d) All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and onehalf (3-1/2) hour guarantee."

Memorandum of Understanding
"Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee (Union) and United Parcel Service Inc. agree that it was their mutual intent that if a part-time employee completes his assigned duties and leaves work in less than three-and-one-half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three-and-one-half hour guarantee. This shall not effect an employee’s right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee."
- - - - -
UPS Master Agreement & Regional Supplements:
http://tdu.org/node/1617

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Lately, I have been working in more than one area of the sort facility. This day started on outbound then went to unload. After unloading a late truck, I was then sent to small sorts. It would seem that I am now a member of the elite who gets deployed wherever needed. This is not such a bad deal as I am getting 20+ hours a week now. When doing just small sorts, I was doing good to get 15 hours.

When I learned the scope of all the work areas in the building, I would definitely like to go full time and quit my other job. The only real hang up is they are going to close the day sort next year leaving just sunrise and twilight. But, hey....my sleep schedule is weird already LOL!!

I suggest staying part-time.

The smartest thing I ever did was staying union instead of taking the "promoition", but the dumbest was going full-time.

It depends on what you want to do with your life and where you want to make the majority of your money and investments.