Working less hours, preload

KaiserTom

My center has been consistently working from 2:30 to 8:30 for the past few months. While my paychecks aren't small, I would also rather not be working hours that long with school and my social life also among the juggling act of time management. Money is also not exactly an issue at this moment in time, considering I already put away nearly 25% of my check into a 401k and another 25% in private savings. I took a part-time job so I could still make some money on the side and actually focus on my classes, not fall asleep halfway through them.

Is there anyway to be able to work less hours at my center? I am already signed up to work the front end/sort but god knows how long it will take for that to play out considering my low seniority. I also know of a center down south of me a couple miles that a friend works at that only has the bare minimum 3 and a half hour days pretty regularly. Is there anyway for a preloader to transfer to another location like that? (Technically it located closer to school, even if only by a couple miles, but I doubt they would actually take an education transfer like that seriously).

Any suggestions? I am legitimately considering on just reapplying to UPS to that other center even if it means restarting on seniority/pay or even another job entirely.

UPSGUY72

My center has been consistently working from 2:30 to 8:30 for the past few months. While my paychecks aren't small, I would also rather not be working hours that long with school and my social life also among the juggling act of time management. Money is also not exactly an issue at this moment in time, considering I already put away nearly 25% of my check into a 401k and another 25% in private savings. I took a part-time job so I could still make some money on the side and actually focus on my classes, not fall asleep halfway through them.

Is there anyway to be able to work less hours at my center? I am already signed up to work the front end/sort but god knows how long it will take for that to play out considering my low seniority. I also know of a center down south of me a couple miles that a friend works at that only has the bare minimum 3 and a half hour days pretty regularly. Is there anyway for a preloader to transfer to another location like that? (Technically it located closer to school, even if only by a couple miles, but I doubt they would actually take an education transfer like that seriously).

Any suggestions? I am legitimately considering on just reapplying to UPS to that other center even if it means restarting on seniority/pay or even another job entirely.

If you don't like the hours go find another job with hours you like. You work until the work is done and you have the right to work or get paid for at least 3.5 hrs a day. You don't have the right to go home when you want to stop working because it's convenient for you schedule.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you don't like the hours go find another job with hours you like. You work until the work is done and you have the right to work or get paid for at least 3.5 hrs a day. You don't have the right to go home when you want to stop working because it's convenient for you schedule.

To be fair, when you are going to school and are hired for a job which you are told at the start runs for 3.5 to 4 hours, and you end up working 6 hours, it can throw a monkey wrench in to your schedule.

The OP has a legitimate beef.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ask for more hours! Tell the supervisor how important it is that you work as much as you can. You should be down to 3 in no time!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's a friggen PT job, you can find one on any corner if this one isn't working out for you. Your schooling should be number one, you're paying for it to better yourself to do something as a career. If money isn't a problem, you want less hours, and you aren't staying here for insurance, and a long term plan, I'd bounce and find something that needs you more than you need them.

Nimnim

The Nim
I would suggest talking to the management for your shift, not the PT sups, to see if perhaps you could "stagger start." Meaning you come in later and work until the job is done. Within the last few months that got pushed in my hub for my shift where even new hires were asked if they would like to start later. It's all a scheme to avoid overtime, but if they're insistent on doing it and it benefits you why not see if you could too?

Edit: At the very least if that works you'd be able to sleep a little later and not be as tired for your classes.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Welcome to adulthood.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The weekend is social time. Although any 20 year old should function just fine on 4-5 hours sleep. Lord knows most of us did at 1 point or another.

HardknocksUPSer

What does it matter, your out of there no later than 9 everyday? your body should adjust, when I'm working another job after my preload job I go to bed around 7PM to get enough sleep, sometimes life requires you to put up with it, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Try switching to local sort (I believe some places call it reload). Generally the sorts are shorter. But you are going to get less hours. Our preload averages 4.5-5 hour every day while our local sort only averages about 3.

KaiserTom

For those stating things such as "grow up" or "welcome to adulthood", those are pretty worthless opinions. I know my alternatives, I know that I can always leave the job, that isn't the point of the topic/thread though. I'm not trying to so much as complain as I am asking for suggestions to rectify my situation without resorting to leaving the company. As much as I can complain about this job, I would still rather work here than most other places. I am trying to garner information on all the options I have so I can make a informed decision, I wouldn't want to quit this job just to find out I could have talked to someone or done something instead to fix it. If I feel I need to leave UPS in order to focus more on my schooling and my social life, I will leave UPS, but I would rather try what I can in order to stay here and keep working for this company.

For those of you who have given good advice so far, thank you.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

For those stating things such as "grow up" or "welcome to adulthood", those are pretty worthless opinions. I know my alternatives, I know that I can always leave the job, that isn't the point of the topic/thread though. I'm not trying to so much as complain as I am asking for suggestions to rectify my situation without resorting to leaving the company. As much as I can complain about this job, I would still rather work here than most other places. I am trying to garner information on all the options I have so I can make a informed decision, I wouldn't want to quit this job just to find out I could have talked to someone or done something instead to fix it. If I feel I need to leave UPS in order to focus more on my schooling and my social life, I will leave UPS, but I would rather try what I can in order to stay here and keep working for this company.

For those of you who have given good advice so far, thank you.
To be fair you are talking to a group of people that work a lot of hours a week. I go to school and have two jobs. It ain't easy, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do