Working less hours, preload

Dr.Brownz

My center has been consistently working from 2:30 to 8:30 for the past few months. While my paychecks aren't small, I would also rather not be working hours that long with school and my social life also among the juggling act of time management. Money is also not exactly an issue at this moment in time, considering I already put away nearly 25% of my check into a 401k and another 25% in private savings. I took a part-time job so I could still make some money on the side and actually focus on my classes, not fall asleep halfway through them.

Is there anyway to be able to work less hours at my center? I am already signed up to work the front end/sort but god knows how long it will take for that to play out considering my low seniority. I also know of a center down south of me a couple miles that a friend works at that only has the bare minimum 3 and a half hour days pretty regularly. Is there anyway for a preloader to transfer to another location like that? (Technically it located closer to school, even if only by a couple miles, but I doubt they would actually take an education transfer like that seriously).

Any suggestions? I am legitimately considering on just reapplying to UPS to that other center even if it means restarting on seniority/pay or even another job entirely.

If your a valued employee you might be able to work something out with your sup or center manager or whoever manages that stuff. Tell them school is first and if they can't accommodate you then you will have to quit

clean hairy

For those stating things such as "grow up" or "welcome to adulthood", those are pretty worthless opinions. I know my alternatives, I know that I can always leave the job, that isn't the point of the topic/thread though. I'm not trying to so much as complain as I am asking for suggestions to rectify my situation without resorting to leaving the company. As much as I can complain about this job, I would still rather work here than most other places. I am trying to garner information on all the options I have so I can make a informed decision, I wouldn't want to quit this job just to find out I could have talked to someone or done something instead to fix it. If I feel I need to leave UPS in order to focus more on my schooling and my social life, I will leave UPS, but I would rather try what I can in order to stay here and keep working for this company.

For those of you who have given good advice so far, thank you.
First thing is to establish priorities.
Tell me what order you would put these in.
Social life, work, school.
IMO, the order should be
School
Work
Social Life? Only if it does not interfere with school or work.
Focus on the important stuff first.
Your social life now, will have no bearing where you are 10-20 yrs from now.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm 21 and am just fine on 4-5 hours of sleep. :-)

Take it from me

First of all, its much easier to function physically than mentally with lack of sleep. I can run on two hours of sleep a day, knock out the preload and local sort then go to my gf house and get busy. But no way I could function properly in school with just 4-5 hours of sleep.

FilingBluesFL

To be fair, when you are going to school and are hired for a job which you are told at the start runs for 3.5 to 4 hours, and you end up working 6 hours, it can throw a monkey wrench in to your schedule.

The OP has a legitimate beef.

Dang, Dave! I didn't realize you were there at interview when he was hired to hear what he was/wasn't told about how many hours he'd be working when he was hired...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
First of all, its much easier to function physically than mentally with lack of sleep. I can run on two hours of sleep a day, knock out the preload and local sort then go to my gf house and get busy. But no way I could function properly in school with just 4-5 hours of sleep.
Yeah, that is the advantage of working the preload or local sort...you can sleepwalk through the AM or PM and no one really notices.

FilingBluesFL

So your numbers improve when your center manager is on vacation?

My number is always 1

number1.jpg

Overpaid Union Thug

My center has been consistently working from 2:30 to 8:30 for the past few months. While my paychecks aren't small, I would also rather not be working hours that long with school and my social life also among the juggling act of time management. Money is also not exactly an issue at this moment in time, considering I already put away nearly 25% of my check into a 401k and another 25% in private savings. I took a part-time job so I could still make some money on the side and actually focus on my classes, not fall asleep halfway through them.

Is there anyway to be able to work less hours at my center? I am already signed up to work the front end/sort but god knows how long it will take for that to play out considering my low seniority. I also know of a center down south of me a couple miles that a friend works at that only has the bare minimum 3 and a half hour days pretty regularly. Is there anyway for a preloader to transfer to another location like that? (Technically it located closer to school, even if only by a couple miles, but I doubt they would actually take an education transfer like that seriously).

Any suggestions? I am legitimately considering on just reapplying to UPS to that other center even if it means restarting on seniority/pay or even another job entirely.

I suggest switching to local sort (reload in the extended centers). They unload the package cars as they are coming in at night and, depending on your building, you might wash and park them. The sort runs about that same time as twilight (in the hub) but typically works less hours. Between working at UPS and FedEx Ground I've worked every shift available and for me reload (or twilight) were the best shifts to work while in college.

Nimnim

The Nim
How so? Isnt it a union job? Where its the lazies' heaven.

It's simple, being tired while in the building handling packages in the unload/load/sort at most causes small issues. Being behind the wheel of a vehicle, either the package car or feeder, is potentially illegal not to mention completely unsafe depending on the level of fatigue. You can get a DUI for being too tired, unlikely yes, but fatigue inhibits your ability to drive and when driving on the clock there are far worse consequences to your fatigue than missing the belt you're sorting to or not noticing the package shouldn't be in the trailer you're loading.