Working off the clock

undies

After reading another post that turned into a discussion about this, I wanted to start a separate thread.

Basically at our center, we have those Orion computers set up outside the office and MANY drivers come in early and go through their routes, print papers and discuss what their dispatch is.

Is that considered working off the clock? Could I file on that? How much would management hate me for it?

I'm kind of in hot water myself for a few different things, but the more I see this, the more it concerns me.

Thanks in advance.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In principle, I agree....but personally don't care so much to make an issue. I see lots of drivers working off the clock, doing a pre-trip, grabbing d-notes, pens, going through their board, gazing a computer screen. It's working for free but, shy of moving cardboard off the clock (which is what we nail sups for), it's just not worth the time and aggravation...to me.

HOWEVER, the preloader in the "other" thread, unloading cages or sorting their drivers trucks, I will definitely speak up if I am 100% sure of it.

I make okay money, but someone coming in and making $10/hr just to work for free on top of it?? It's plain stupid.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I use "working ahead of their scheduled start time without appropriate compensation" as a trump card.
When something else is in my crawl, it's an issue I can bark about.

Sad thing in reality is that I won a panel decision on the issue in 2008, and the company did nothing to comply.
Filed Labor Charges in 2009, to which I was told it was not the proper venue, that I needed to sue the company in Federal Court.
Since, I have grieved the issue repeatedly, but haven't been successful in having my Local deadlock it again to the panel.
They always settle for a BS promise.

My latest grievance on the subject was filed in April of 2015 and has yet to be heard at the Local level.
SMH

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My latest grievance on the subject was filed in April of 2015 and has yet to be heard at the Local level.

How is that even possible ?

More than 30 days, should bring charges. (without justifiable reasoning)

Nobody, is that busy.

I just don't get your Local.... never have.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How is that even possible ?

More than 30 days, should bring charges. (without justifiable reasoning)

Nobody, is that busy.

I just don't get your Local.... never have.

-Bug-
As much as it pains me to file labor charges on my own Local, you're right and I will.

The Local blames it on the Labor Manager, so maybe I'll file on both the Local and the Company and let them fight it out with the Labor Board?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If your filing out of principle I understand, but if it's just to get extra money that's kind of a d bag move.
The "extra money" is the only real penalty the company can incur.
What the gives the grievant the "nuts" to file and hold the company accountable to the contract that they bargained for "in good faith" is immaterial.

For me, I agree with filing on the "principle" that the company continually pushes back our start time, while increasing our stop count while the packages get bigger, due to the smalls being outsourced to the Post Office.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was going to make an issue of it because we have so many drivers doing it. But my answer was " you cant tell on another teamster". I thought you just first told the mgmt, to get the drivers out of the trucks before their scheduled start time. Then if they did not do it you got to file for all the hours of the people working for free. Apparently my local doesnt feel that way. Because i got 0 support. More like i was the bad guy. I find it rather disgusting to see a driver at the pcm drenched in sweat, who has been grooming his load, putting a preloader at risk by being in his/her way. I have told said drivers how ridiculous it is, i have told the loaders to tell them to get out or tell the supes to tell them.

The sad thing is most loaders have great respect for their drivers, look up to them. And dont want to say anything.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If your filing out of principle I understand, but if it's just to get extra money that's kind of a d bag move.
Somebody must have the nads to do it, no? If not, these management clowns will push and push, and push some more. Might as well make some cash. The company can stop the cash flow by honoring the contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Is there a difference between loading your car and printing out your Orion solution?
...or signing off on call tags, gathering supplies, being questioned about a previous days delivery, etc?

No, it's all work related tasks that we are supposed to be paid for by the hour.

IMHO, there are far more worthy organizations to volunteer your time to than UPS, find one.

...or signing off on call tags, gathering supplies, being questioned about a previous days delivery, etc?

No, it's all work related tasks that we are supposed to be paid for by the hour.

IMHO, there are far more worthy organizations to volunteer your time to than UPS, find one.
It's a good way to volunteer someone else out of a job.

I'm sure that makes the shareholders happy.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And it's not like UPS doesn't know we're the stupid ones in this case. Joe Blow comes at 7 o'clock to straighten up his truck we can give him fifteen more and he'll still make it in.

We are the stupid ones for not making our union work for us, doing anything that relates to our job before our ridiculous start time we should get paid for.

Don't forget you pay aroundy $85 a month for your union to represent you.. they dont work for free

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And it's not like UPS doesn't know we're the stupid ones in this case. Joe Blow comes at 7 o'clock to straighten up his truck we can give him fifteen more and he'll still make it in.

We are the stupid ones for not making our union work for us, doing anything that relates to our job before our ridiculous start time we should get paid for.

Don't forget you pay aroundy $85 a month for your union to represent you.. they dont work for free
Imagine if everybody waited until their start times to do all of things we have outlined, especially looking at the ORION computers?
What do you think the start times would look like next week?