working on vacation pay rate?

Quigley

Yes, I can. And I always will. Anyone who selects a vacation week that someone else could have had but works that week is, in fact, vile, inconsiderate, and selfish jerks. I don't need to know them or their reason for working. I already know all I need to know about them based on their selfish deeds. The only situation where that wouldn't apply would be when a center has an UNFORESEEN staffing issue. And that has never happened in my building. All I've seen in the past is people showing up for work during weeks that others would have loved to have been able to pick and with all kinds of excuses as to why they are doing so. But some of us finally put a stop to it because their agendas don't override contract language.
Like I said in a previous post. The only way we are allowed to work a vacation week, is if no one is layed off.

By The Book

I've worked both my vacations this year because A: needed the money, and B: a ton of people were on vacation that week and we lost quite a few to ft driving. My working did not negatively affect anyone's hours or the fact that we are still hiring for preload like crazy

Sent using BrownCafe App
Did you get paid overtime or straight time?

Overpaid Union Thug

Like I said in a previous post. The only way we are allowed to work a vacation week, is if no one is layed off.

What if that week had been closed out during the vacation selection? Someone else was unable to select it due to it being closed out. There are all kinds of excuses and justification that people come up with to work during their vacations but none of them make those that they are screwing whole. Nor do those excuses negate a contract. Not in the supplement I'm in anyway. I'm all for language that states that people can be used during their vacations if their is a legitimate staffing issue. But that, as I already said, hasn't happened in my building. Not during my time anyway.

Kis124

Did you get paid overtime or straight time?

I got paid straight time. I also got some overtime covering the customer counter

Sent using BrownCafe App

By The Book

Our supplement says any work for extra compensation must be approved by the local. Is that the case in your area? If everyone's working, part timers included, and we know drivers are sent out with heavier dispatches than ever before, would you agree ups knows this and takes the easy way out and has drivers come in off vacation instead of hiring a few more drivers?

Quigley

Our supplement says any work for extra compensation must be approved by the local. Is that the case in your area? If everyone's working, part timers included, and we know drivers are sent out with heavier dispatches than ever before, would you agree ups knows this and takes the easy way out and has drivers come in off vacation instead of hiring a few more drivers?
I agree with you. UPS does ask drivers to work their vacations to kep from hiring. Its in our rider. You can work vacations and get paid time and half. Still cheaper for the company then hiring new drivers. Unfortunately there will always be someone who will work their days off.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
If you volunteer then is paid straight time. If you are asked then is paid time and a half. This was stated earlier.
I do agree with the view that vacation week was scheduled and paid for a 45 hour week. If any other work for the company is done then it should be paid as overtime.
Now as for randomly bumping oneself into the work week when one is scheduled off that is selfish. Whereas helping out the work group by working a day here and there to address staffing shortfalls is not. If UPS wants to pay me 15 hours for 10 hours worth the work it is a win/win.

Kis124

Anything worked over 5 hours is over time. For 2 days, I worked 9 hours. 3.5 on preload, and 5.5 at the counter

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Just because no one is laid off that week is a non-issue. Let me clarify it for you. There may have been many junior employees to you, that at vacation selection time, would have loved to have that week off. You selected that week and closed it out for any junior employees.

Now you are working through that vacation week that someone else wanted, but could not get because you took it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The only time I can understand someone working through their vacation is if the vacation week was not closed out. Every junior employee that wanted that week off got it and no one is laid off during that week.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Quigley

Just because no one is laid off that week is a non-issue. Let me clarify it for you. There may have been many junior employees to you, that at vacation selection time, would have loved to have that week off. You selected that week and closed it out for any junior employees.

Now you are working through that vacation week that someone else wanted, but could not get because you took it.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I dont work my vacations and never did. I just posted the way it is here. Yes there are drivers who work their vacations and yes unfortunately a junior driver could have had that week off. But when they pay time and half there will always be someone who will work their days off.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our contract says we are not to work our vacations. Our mgt team says we are not to work our vacations. But, when they are short-staffed, my phone rings off the hook.

Yes, I feel that I am being paid correctly. While I would to be paid time and a half for all hours worked, that is not the way the contract reads.

Resident know-it-all.
The Bat phone????