Working Seasonal and become full time

UPSCAREER

It is possible that if you work seasonal driver and/or seasonal driver help, will it help you become a full time driver?

Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is possible but highly unlikely. The most likely way to become a FT driver is to progress through the PT ranks. Our contract mandates that for every 6 new drivers one must be an outside hire. As a seasonal hire you would be considered an outside hire. Use this Peak to establish yourself as a viable candidate for a PT position and then let the seniority process work. There are too many variables involved to give you an estimate of how long it would take to go from PT hire to FT driver. Good luck. Dave.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I started out as a peak hire. Driver helper and then driver. I kept coming back as peak season help for 7 years. I kept my foot in the door and let them know that I wanted a PT job if ever one came available. They hired me as a night time clerk and then a driver position came open after a year. They offered me the job and that is usually how it progresses. However.....we just hired a new driver off the street this year though he was a runner last year. You have your foot in the door. Keep it there.

Indecisi0n

Realist: A person who sees things as they truly are. A practical person. The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails. — William Arthur Ward

UPSGUY72

It is possible that if you work seasonal driver and/or seasonal driver help, will it help you become a full time driver?

Thanks!

It isn't going to happen. You are not going to get a FT Drivers job from being a seasonal driver during peak one (1) time you might get a chance to become a seasonal driver for summer vacation starting in of again next peak. As a drivers helper you not going to even get a chance to get a PT job after peak.

Although some will say it is possible because there is a 6 to 1 inside to out hire ratio for drivers but that spot is usually given to a driver that has worked as a casual/ seasonal driver for a couple of years. IF you take a seasonal job inside a center in the morning or at night you could have a chance of getting a PT job on the inside. Then you will be able to bid on driver position that open up and if you have enough seniority you get one.

In the last three year they have hired 2 drivers in my area which consist of 3 building. Which has a combined 140 routes on any given day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It isn't going to happen. You are not going to get a FT Drivers job from being a seasonal driver during peak one (1) time you might get a chance to become a seasonal driver for summer vacation starting in of again next peak. As a drivers helper you not going to even get a chance to get a PT job after peak.

Although some will say it is possible because there is a 6 to 1 inside to out hire ratio for drivers but that spot is usually given to a driver that has worked as a casual/ seasonal driver for a couple of years. IF you take a seasonal job inside a center in the morning or at night you could have a chance of getting a PT job on the inside. Then you will be able to bid on driver position that open up and if you have enough seniority you get one.

In the last three year they have hired 2 drivers in my area which consist of 3 building. Which has a combined 140 routes on any given day.

I agree with all of this except the part about the helper not getting a shot at a PT job after Peak as it does happen.

outta hours

If you do well they will find something for you. So many attempt to become drivers, but few succeed. It's possible they could move you to another center that the next driver added is the 1 off the street, and that could be you. After the next two months you and the company will have a better idea if this is the job for you.

Do your best and see how it plays out. I came in off the street in Sept. Worked through peak and was laid off Dec 24th. I was called back on Jan 2nd. I have been here ever since, and that was 26 years ago. Anything is possible so don't focus on the negative. If this is what you want to do, go for it. If it doesn't work out at least you gave it your best shot. Good luck