Working the System

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Meliorate, May 23, 2009.

1. Meliorate

Meliorate Guest

Saw the thread "Cheating the System" and I thought it was going to be about working the system.
    I take pride in working the system to my advantage every chance I get ... it's just a game, right?

Got UPS to pay for my additional education while working. To me that's working the system although they have tightened down on that.

I bought UPS stock when I saw it go up mid-quarter to make a less risky investment. To me that's working the system although they have tightened down on that.

There are other ways I work the system but I don't want them to tighten down on those too so that's all I have for now.

What are some of the ways you "work the system" at UPS or the Teamsters?
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I have enough seniority (#10) where I can pretty much get the vacation weeks that I want and I will usually try to take those weeks that have a holiday so that I get the 45 hours for the vacation and the 8 hours for the holiday (or 16 hours for Thanksgiving week).
  3. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I scheduled Tuesday off to visit the dentist. This four day weekend is gonna be tough...........:happy-very:
  4. MonavieLeaker

MonavieLeaker Bringin Teh_Lulz

Pretty much what Upstate said...I'm #3 in seniority in my area so I use it to my advantage as far as vacations are concerned
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  5. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

If I had enough seniority, I would take the week before a Monday holiday to max the number of days off in a row. On the Thanksgiving week I would take the following week, SWEET!
  6. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

With 35 days off per year, I always take the Friday off before a Monday holiday and if possible, the 3 days before Thanksgiving.
  7. upsr99

upsr99 upsr99

The week after next I am off. Monday is a Single day vacation, and Tuesday thru Friday are my in lieu of holidays( Memorial, Labor and the 2 Thanksgiving days). that leaves me with 4 single days left and 2 personal holidays and 6 more weeks of vacation.
  8. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

"working the system" is aka "working at UPS".

This week have Monday and Friday off (3 day work week) , vacation next week, plus Monday off after vaca. Is that working the system?
  9. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I'm going to the DDS on Tuesday as well. We're working the system together, Scratch.
  10. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

No vacations allowed after Thanksgiving day.
  11. Sleeve_meet_Heart

In all regions and all employees?
  12. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

How long did you work in our center? I don't seem to remember you.
  13. stevetheupsguy

Here in SoFla, the week after Thanksgiving is the last week you can take before peak.
  14. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

Here also.
  15. stevetheupsguy

I usually take the week before, because the week after is taken. I still get the shortened week, after, and a nice week off just before peak.
  16. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Go to PM chat then if you're having a private conversation. Otherwise expect me to ask about blanket statements.
  17. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

WHOA there Hoss, IT appeared to me that you were making the blanket statement. I just figured the ? was there to throw everyone off stride.
    My apologizes.
  18. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I started taking the week of Halloween off as my last week before peak. If anything, it gives me the chance to go trick-or-treating if it falls in that week.
  19. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

took friday off. 8hr day on tuesday.
  20. browndude

browndude New Member

all you have to do is save however many option days that you want off. you dont get paid off for them till december so the days after thanksgiving that are in november are legit. i always do that.