Working the System

M

Meliorate

Saw the thread "Cheating the System" and I thought it was going to be about working the system.
I take pride in working the system to my advantage every chance I get ... it's just a game, right?

Got UPS to pay for my additional education while working. To me that's working the system although they have tightened down on that.

I bought UPS stock when I saw it go up mid-quarter to make a less risky investment. To me that's working the system although they have tightened down on that.

There are other ways I work the system but I don't want them to tighten down on those too so that's all I have for now.

What are some of the ways you "work the system" at UPS or the Teamsters?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have enough seniority (#10) where I can pretty much get the vacation weeks that I want and I will usually try to take those weeks that have a holiday so that I get the 45 hours for the vacation and the 8 hours for the holiday (or 16 hours for Thanksgiving week).

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I scheduled Tuesday off to visit the dentist. This four day weekend is gonna be tough...........:happy-very:

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Pretty much what Upstate said...I'm #3 in seniority in my area so I use it to my advantage as far as vacations are concerned

Last edited:
I have enough seniority (#10) where I can pretty much get the vacation weeks that I want and I will usually try to take those weeks that have a holiday so that I get the 45 hours for the vacation and the 8 hours for the holiday (or 16 hours for Thanksgiving week).
If I had enough seniority, I would take the week before a Monday holiday to max the number of days off in a row. On the Thanksgiving week I would take the following week, SWEET!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
With 35 days off per year, I always take the Friday off before a Monday holiday and if possible, the 3 days before Thanksgiving.

upsr99

upsr99
The week after next I am off. Monday is a Single day vacation, and Tuesday thru Friday are my in lieu of holidays( Memorial, Labor and the 2 Thanksgiving days). that leaves me with 4 single days left and 2 personal holidays and 6 more weeks of vacation.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"working the system" is aka "working at UPS".

This week have Monday and Friday off (3 day work week) , vacation next week, plus Monday off after vaca. Is that working the system?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I usually take the week before, because the week after is taken. I still get the shortened week, after, and a nice week off just before peak.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I started taking the week of Halloween off as my last week before peak. If anything, it gives me the chance to go trick-or-treating if it falls in that week.