Working through break

upser_J

Is there anything in the contract that can prevent other employees from working during break? I find it ridiculous that a guy that loads works through his break cuz the coordinator won't give him any help. But at the same time it makes him look like he can handle the load since he is working for 10 extra minutes for free.

raceanoncr

No, there is nothing in the contract that says you can stop or file on another employee in this case. If they wanna bust their hump, let em. Who cares what it makes everyone else look like? Are you doing your job within company parameters? Then, don't worry. As you'll find out, he'll just get dumped on more and more then wonder why he's got so much work.

Another thing, yer gonna see this in EVERY department here, whether it be loaders, unloaders, preloaders, package drivers, feeder drivers, porters...there's always somebody or a few that just gotta run through their day and then wonder why they keep getting heaped on.

dunderchief

One of the problems with people working through break is that it skews production numbers. If I work my regular 4 hour shift and take my break I have 3:50 of productive time. If the loader next to me works through his break he will have 4 full hours of productive time, making it likely he will look more productive than me.

I could make the argument that this is falsifying records. If the loader reports his hours as a certain number, mgmt would assume this includes 10 minutes of non-working time. If a supervisor was out to get the loader, he could claim that the loader is lying to make his numbers look better.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I use my break to check through all my packages on all my three cars. That's probably the best use for the 10 minute break other than actually sitting on your ass.

barnyard

KTM rider
I use my break to check through all my packages on all my three cars. That's probably the best use for the 10 minute break other than actually sitting on your ass.

The best use of your 10 minute break is to actually take a break. Eat and drink something. Going through your loads does not take you mind off your work, so you are not getting a benefit from the break.

TB

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

K, as a driver, I most certainly appreciate your dedication to your job, and I know that if you were loading my pkg car I would have a much easier day, but...

The best use of your 10 minute break is to actually take a break. Eat and drink something. Going through your loads does not take you mind off your work, so you are not getting a benefit from the break. TB

barnyard has it right. Take the 10 minutes and relax. Forget about work.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Is there anything in the contract that can prevent other employees from working during break? I find it ridiculous that a guy that loads works through his break cuz the coordinator won't give him any help. But at the same time it makes him look like he can handle the load since he is working for 10 extra minutes for free.
If you have more seniority file because you are not allowed to work through your break! They will have to add 10 minutes to the end of your day! A couple of grievances and he wont be working through break any more!

Why do you do that? Your drivers come in from 1-3 hours early to take care of that.

trickpony1

I bet you also don't go to the bathroom during your entire shift either.

Holding your urine is not good on the kidneys but, "what the heck", the company will take care of you when your dialysis treatments start.......

.....or will they?

QKRSTKR

Is there actually contract language on that red? What article would u file under? We actually get paid for breaks unlike our lunch. I know the contract says the company shall not allow anyone to work without being compensated. But if your getting paid for breaks what's the grievance on? Just playing the :devil3: advocate here.

What drive's me crazy is the drivers who do come in early and go thru their entire load, making over allowed guys look bad.

sexyupsman

Take your breaks! Who wants to work for free? Plus if they know that they can depend on you to work on your break time they will use it to their advantage. Take your break it is not a federal law it is at the discression.

LVD*4*LIFE

Do not let anyone work through break without being compensated an extra 10 minutes! UPS is always looking to push peoples start times back & push more volume down our throat. Why work for free?
Here are some steps to take if you seriously have a problem with this issue & want it to stop.
1. Tell your PT or FT sup. that you want to be paid an extra 10 minutes for that employees break (It works almost 100% of the time)
2. If #1 does not work, get the safety commitee involved. If someone gets hurt during break w/o being paid, it is a liability issue.
3. If #1 or #2 does not work, shame them as best you can!! (My personal favorite)
I realize every Hub is different. People have more pull than others & politics are always involved.

QKRSTKR

1. Tell your PT or FT sup. that you want to be paid an extra 10 minutes for that employees break (It works almost 100% of the time)
2. If #1 does not work, get the safety commitee involved. If someone gets hurt during break w/o being paid, it is a liability issue.

My point was we do get paid for our breaks. We don't get paid for lunches. If you work 4 hours and take a 10 min. break, u don't get paid for 3:50. They are being compensated and are on the clock.

Loco170Brownie

I see this way too often in metro. Not to put anyone down but you would think a full time UPS Teamster would know better. Coming in early setting up your load, running your breaks, not taking a lunch, it all adds up. Simply do the math....If you give up an average of say 40 mins a day (Saying the person at least takes half their breaks), thats 3 hours and 20 mins over OT you are giving up a week! 16 hours a month, 192 a year. Thats a new car folks! ($8,505.92 if my math is right) IF your parttime its still almost an hour a week, then do the math from there, dont know about you but when I was PT I couldn't afford to give money away. If you want to invest in UPS buy stock:surprised:

I have been told the steps that were listed by LVD*4*LIFE are the way to go but I find more often that not you have to go right to #3.

I also take it personally when a cover guy does it on my route. If I get flack because the cover guy ran my route and I do thing by the book and come in later you can bet he/she is gonna get an ear full after I do.:biting:

LVD*4*LIFE

Do people do this at other companies? Lets say.....Target or a gas station, whatever. Are people working through breaks & not getting paid for it? Clocking out then stocking shelves or checking out customers because their friend is still on the clock & that friend is their ride?
Maybe I would not care as much if I were still 19 years old & making $9 an hour or so. Even if I did work through break way back then, I know someone on my dock with more seniority & a much bigger pay check would have told me to stop. And I'm sure I would have!

oakcreekteamie

At our Hub they make you work through breaks sometimes...but add the ten minutes at the end of the night. I always wondered if there is anything in the Contract that would contradict this?

upser_J

At our Hub they make you work through breaks sometimes...but add the ten minutes at the end of the night. I always wondered if there is anything in the Contract that would contradict this?

Wow, I was just curious about a pt working on his own, but this is a whole different story, it is in the contract that they are to give you a 10 minute break AND its also the LAW!!