Working through vacations no longer an option

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am off the week of Thanksgiving and I thought I might work through my vacation to get a little Christmas $$. I mentioned this to my on-car when I got back to the center tonight and he told me that this is no longer an option. He said that finance has put a stop to this practice, saying that they were not going to pay us twice.

Has anyone else heard this at their center/hub?

A

anonymous6

I think in our hub you can work during your vacation week only if they need drivers and they have exhausted the relief board. makes sense?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I am off the week of Thanksgiving and I thought I might work through my vacation to get a little Christmas $$. I mentioned this to my on-car when I got back to the center tonight and he told me that this is no longer an option. He said that finance has put a stop to this practice, saying that they were not going to pay us twice.

Damn. I am off that week also.
I thought we could meet in New Orleans!!!
I know you are looking for excuses to avoid me tossing you in the Big Muddy Ole' Black Water!!!

Well you would need that extra money for that trip to New Orleans...you see on Canal Street, there is a Saks Fifth Avenue close to the river...you get my drift $$$$$ ???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know you are looking for excuses to avoid me tossing you in the Big Muddy Ole' Black Water!!!

Well you would need that extra money for that trip to New Orleans...you see on Canal Street, there is a Saks Fifth Avenue close to the river...you get my drift $$$$$ ???

Hot avatar and high maintenance?

fethrs

Out here we are not supposed to do that but some do it if the sups are good with it. I don't know the details with the drivers though, but same thing, no work during vaca week. I am not positive but I think this was changed in the last contract in our local.

Miller High Life!! :happy-very:
The Champagne of Beers!

Last edited:

Bad Gas!

Last year they stopped drivers at the end of year from working vacations...But this year, I see some drivers doing it...So, if mgt needs you, then you can work...I try not to work on hard earned time off va-ca's...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If it ever was OK it was long ago. We could come in for a day if someone else needed it off but that ended almost 20 years ago.

brownrodster

We are only allowed to work through our optional week and our five individual optional days. Normal vacation we are required to take. It's been that way in my neck of the woods as long as I've worked for UPS.

ol'browneye

They are happy to let you do it if it helps them out!

A few years ago I offered to work a few days of my vaca since I had nothing planned and we were short drivers at the time. My center manager said they couldn't do that because it screwed up payroll and...blah, blah, blah!

A couple years later my on-car called me three times while I was on vaca to see if I wanted to work because they were short drivers!

Rules are made to be broken...if it is to their advantage!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The Central Region Supplement states that "Employees (full and part time) may take pay in lieu of time off for option week."

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Working through vacations is common practice here. There are some guys who don't take any of their vacations. Even with guys laid off they are doing this.

over9five

Staff member
Working through vacations is common practice here. There are some guys who don't take any of their vacations. Even with guys laid off they are doing this.

Thank you for saying that. That would be a huge issue with me if drivers here were working their vacations while we had drivers laid off or bumped inside.

rod

Retired 22 years

How sorry of life would a person have to have to do this----may as well shoot yourself

raceanoncr

As for me, it's NEVER been an option! I value my days off too much to work during earned days or weeks off.

Just came off 7 1/2 months of disability. Worked one week. Guess what? Next week was VACATION!!!! It couldn't come soon enough!!! Buh, Bye!!!

Spent my summers with an aunt in Gretna. I guess I will have to go and take out a loan to buy enough beads.

Montrez-moi le vôtre,je te montrerai le mien!

GeorgiaBrown

We are only allowed to work through our optional week and our five individual optional days. Normal vacation we are required to take. It's been that way in my neck of the woods as long as I've worked for UPS.

That is also the case here at Pleasantdale (Georgia)....you must elect those options when you schedule vacations..... however, having said that...management will do whatever suits their needs....as others have said, if they are short drivers and you are willing to work.... they will find a way to code you out in the system to work you and get you paid...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That is also the case here at Pleasantdale (Georgia)....you must elect those options when you schedule vacations..... however, having said that...management will do whatever suits their needs....as others have said, if they are short drivers and you are willing to work.... they will find a way to code you out in the system to work you and get you paid...

As long as IE says so ... they can't make any decisions on their on unless IE approves it.