Working through vacations no longer an option

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Out here we are not supposed to do that but some do it if the sups are good with it. I don't know the details with the drivers though, but same thing, no work during vaca week. I am not positive but I think this was changed in the last contract in our local.

The Champagne of Beers!
It was changed in the National Master and I, for one, am glad that it was changed. It is not right that senior drivers take a rte away from me when they are supposed to be on vacation. :angry:

They don't even ask here anymore. It gets filed on the second it happens. Doesn't matter if it is vacation weeks or optional weeks, it is filed on.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yeah at the beginning of the year when the vacation is selected...... Don't think he selected that....

Not true, you can work through the option week, you only have to notify at selection time if you want to break up the option week into 5 single days.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Working through vacations is common practice here. There are some guys who don't take any of their vacations. Even with guys laid off they are doing this.

If you are a driver that is laid off and someone works through a scheduled vacation, you should file a grievance for all time they work, including overtime.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you are a driver that is laid off and someone works through a scheduled vacation, you should file a grievance for all time they work, including overtime.

Screw that ... just mug 'em. You are a real Teamster aren't you? :wink2:

Bet that "pay" scab will not work vacation again.

StopCount

Working through a scheduled vacation is wrong because people with lower seniority weren't able to bid on that week during vacation selection.

As a side note, I'm a fan of Women in "friend* Me Pumps" ;]

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Here in the west you get 1 option week, to work or take off with pay. If you are forced in on any vacation, it's double time plus vacation pay, so that never happens that I've seen, except once for a funeral. If you agree to come in, no double time. If you work a regular vacation that open's a door for a pay grievance that's a slam dunk for a cover driver that's laid off.

I learned a long time ago, you can always make more money, you can never make more time. Given the choice always try to take the time if at all possible. Your family and body parts will thank you, not to mention a starving cover driver's family that was counting on your vacation.

Big Babooba

Damn. I am off that week also.
I thought we could meet in New Orleans!!!
I know you are looking for excuses to avoid me tossing you in the Big Muddy Ole' Black Water!!!

Well you would need that extra money for that trip to New Orleans...you see on Canal Street, there is a Saks Fifth Avenue close to the river...you get my drift $$$$$ ???
I'm on vacation too! I'll meet you on Bourbon Street and bring my beads. I hope that I'll have a lot to be thankful for on Thanksgiving.:wink2:

The Champagne of Beers!
[video=youtube;XjlvGAt1CDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjlvGAt1CDk&feature=related[/video]

UPSSOCKS

I am off the week of Thanksgiving and I thought I might work through my vacation to get a little Christmas $$. I mentioned this to my on-car when I got back to the center tonight and he told me that this is no longer an option. He said that finance has put a stop to this practice, saying that they were not going to pay us twice.

Has anyone else heard this at their center/hub?

I usually don't bash management, but I will make an exception for finance. Finance is so busy doing adjustments and fixing all the mistakes they make on a weekly basis that they won't even know that you are working through your vacation. Even if they do know there is nothing finance can do about it. By the time they get word that you worked it will already be too late and they can't just not pay pay you. I don't know if every finance department is bad but the two districts I've worked in are horrible.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I usually don't bash management, but I will make an exception for finance. Finance is so busy doing adjustments and fixing all the mistakes they make on a weekly basis that they won't even know that you are working through your vacation. Even if they do know there is nothing finance can do about it. By the time they get word that you worked it will already be too late and they can't just not pay pay you. I don't know if every finance department is bad but the two districts I've worked in are horrible.
Makes no difference at all if finance knows or not. I will! And I can tell you how it is going to go. If it happens that I am not working because there is a senior driver working on vacation there will be a greivance filed. Not only will finance be paying the regular driver vacation and time worked they will be paying me for all the time that regular driver worked while they were supposed to be on vacation.
Even if I did work that week but I got bumped off that rte because of the regular driver I will still file on it.

UPSSOCKS

Makes no difference at all if finance knows or not. I will! And I can tell you how it is going to go. If it happens that I am not working because there is a senior driver working on vacation there will be a greivance filed. Not only will finance be paying the regular driver vacation and time worked they will be paying me for all the time that regular driver worked while they were supposed to be on vacation.
Even if I did work that week but I got bumped off that rte because of the regular driver I will still file on it.

File away you will lose.

Theichii

I have nothing to do anyhow. I like when people waste my time.

See Socks, it's funny, because when i think of supervisors, they aren't supposed to do anything, so it seems like they just sit there with hands in their pocket just watching. And i suppose that's what the job description is as a supervisor, just to watch people work. Seems like an easy job, with boredom being the reason supes actually want to work. So personally i wouldn't blame them if a supervisor some of the time actually touched a package. Wow, did i just feel sympathy for management personnel?

UPSSOCKS

See Socks, it's funny, because when i think of supervisors, they aren't supposed to do anything, so it seems like they just sit there with hands in their pocket just watching. And i suppose that's what the job description is as a supervisor, just to watch people work. Seems like an easy job, with boredom being the reason supes actually want to work. So personally i wouldn't blame them if a supervisor some of the time actually touched a package. Wow, did i just feel sympathy for management personnel?

See I am not a supervisor, if you think their job is boring come see mine. I have to walk to another building just to see the operation.