Working through vacations

trouble maker

Does anybody have the problem of hourly employees working through their vacations?? People just don't get it, they not only take work away from a union worker, but they also might take a specific weeks vacation away from someone that is junior to them that might have wanted it.:angry:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That should be a major thorn in the side of your local.
That should not be allowed especially with the slashing of routes and jobs.

Your center team is at fault and one of the lower seniority drivers should grieve that ASAP.

Dustyroads

Unless it's changed, in the Central States one could work through the option week, and in the new contract, those five days can be used one at a time or used a week at a time.

In our building there are a few older drivers who take some days off every week without pay so the newest drivers get to work. :)

Dark_Team_135

We had the problem in our Local where some were actually working through SEVEN weeks of vacation...This year the company was told that no one was allowed to work any week of vacation except their optional week. Those that we catch are paid time and a half for all of the hours they worked during vacation and made to take another week off unpaid.

The problem is catching it. We you ask you always get "Well I changed my week." It is at least a start but more needs to be done to stop this problem. I guess a last resort is to not allow people to change vacations once they are selected, but hopefully it won't come to that.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I have a problem with people working thru their vacations after they pick a week that could have been taken by someone junior to them who wanted to have off for that week. In my building at feeders if someone picks a week in january when we pick our vacations and then at the time of the week they are supposed to be off they want to work, they have to go to the bottom of the cover list and get stuck with the last job that no one bid for that week. Great rule - we had :censored2:s that would pick 6 weeks in the summer and then work thru them. Meanwhile junior guys want those weeks but they are filled when it was time for them to pick their vaca's. That rule ended that.

I dont have a problem with people outright selling their vacation weeks. Totally different beast.

Bad Gas!

We have many drivers work vacation days every week.The lower senior drivers don't mind getting days off because they are screwed 3-4 days a week by dispatch sup...I used to work some vacation days earlier in my career when we were a one income family....So I can see where the extra money could help...Thankfully, I'm blessed to be able to get by without working the vacation days..amen..

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Does anybody have the problem of hourly employees working through their vacations?? People just don't get it, they not only take work away from a union worker, but they also might take a specific weeks vacation away from someone that is junior to them that might have wanted it.:angry:

1. They have a right to work their vacation if they choose to
2. They obviously have more seniority so theyre entitled per the NMA to take whatever week they damn well choose to

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They may indeed have the right but does that make it right?

2. They obviously have more seniority so theyre entitled per the NMA to take whatever week they damn well choose to.

Also a good point but if they bid the prime weeks knowing full well they intend to work instead isn't that depriving someone who could really use that week and would actually take a vacation?

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz

They may indeed have the right but does that make it right?

2. They obviously have more seniority so theyre entitled per the NMA to take whatever week they damn well choose to.

Also a good point but if they bid the prime weeks knowing full well they intend to work instead isn't that depriving someone who could really use that week and would actually take a vacation?

I didnt say it was right but thats how it is......I usually take my weeks off but I'm willing to make deals with my sup like when he gave me a few days off in exchange for coming in on the sunday that I started my vacation....2. I do agree with that

In the Southern Conference, we have the option of selling back vacation weeks, prior to selection, which takes place in October. If you have six weeks, and sell back two weeks, you pick your four weeks for the next year, you get a check for two 45 hr. vac. weeks, and you take the weeks when they come up. Never heard of someone coming in and working on their vac. and displacing the person who signed up to cover their run, however they can be called in, in seniority order, to do extra work after all other drivers are working, to prevent sub-contracting. Are we in the minority here?

teresarice

Well last year in June I changed positions from p/t unloader air driver to friend/t driver I was told I still keep half vacation days so when bidding came around in october of course I was last to bid and the weeks I could bid was Jun thru nov guess what all taken. so they said sorry about your luck. I called the union they said weeks should have been allotted for that. Talked to my sup he said nope goes by number in building of employees. So as time went on and so did bbqs they all are taking r/o s and it pisses me off because I got no vaca.
Any words of wisdom