working through vacations

It is my understanding that drivers are allowed to only work through one week of vacation. My center currently has a driver that has worked entirely through one week earlier in the year, and has worked the last two days during this weeks vacation. What will happen if others file on this?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Is the policy in your local rider? Is it a deal your union made with your management? As far as I'm aware, there is no official policy. Our driver stewards, from both centers, have aggressively pursued the issue such that NO driver in my facility is permitted to work through a vacation. If they want to cash the week out, they need to do so at vacation selection; otherwise, they can barter it ... or take it off.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If you're a driver and can't afford to miss work during your vacation, you need to seriously re-examine your finances. Additionally, you might be forcing a cover driver back into the hub for a week.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm going to be the first to admit I work through some of my vacations. This is allowed in our hub because we have so many people that don't want to work (FTers to cover drivers). If people were demanding 8hrs it would be a different story, but as it stands we have more people fighting over going home than to work. I'll also add I'm more than fine financially, I just use the extra money to buy the wife/kids something special I normally wouldn't.

Just to reiterate, I wouldn't work through if it would displace a driver, but it doesn't.

DS

Fenderbender
I'm going to be the first to admit I work through some of my vacations.
Just to reiterate, I wouldn't work through if it would displace a driver, but it doesn't.
I have also done this.$1000 extra week's pay is nice when you are hurtin' for money.
As far as displacing goes ,if you are so far in debt that you have to work your vacation,who really gives a rats ass.It's like seniority,I need to pay for surgery for my cat or whatever.When you wannabe full timers get to be full time,you may notice that life can throw unexpected crap at you anytime,and throw a wrench into the wheel of your plans.Some hubs allow it,some don't.I have not done this the last 2 years,but,I respect that there may be good reason to it do so for some people.
Jack.Don't kid yourself,when you work your vaca,someone,somewhere,is not.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
30+ yrs ago , when I was working the midnight to 3 am shift (pt) I went 3yrs without taking any time off . Heck most sups weren't even aware that I was on vaca , they were always shorthanded .
Until a few years back , I would always work Sat. doing air driving on my vaca weeks , again no one cared.
Today I cherish every minute away from the job .

BrownArmy

In my center we can turn our option days into an additional week of vacation...

But why the friend would you want to work during one of your vacation weeks?

S

serenity now

i always ask, how many weeks am i allowed to buy? :wink2:

hasn't worked out yet, but i keep trying anyway

brostalss

If you work your vacation here in 396 I've been told you are utility and can't do your route. You can sell back your vacation. Or local Shop Steward is the exception to the rule of course. He does what he wants.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We used to be able to work during our vacations but have not been able to do so for the past 10 years or so. My on-car summed it up nicely--"Why would we pay you twice?" I would work the occasional vacation----as DS said, the extra money is nice; however, I strongly disagree with DS in that I would only work if I did not displace anyone. It is very unfair to choose a prime vacation week and then work through it or to work a vacation week while a casual sits at home.

The extra money is nice but as was stated above any driver who feels he/she has to work their vacation(s) has bigger problems.

Notretiredyet

Our local rider has a clause regarding this due to problems in the past. Now if you choose to work you are assigned the last available route, if you have a bid route that's covered by the coverage driver for the week.

jaker

trolling
I work 2 and take off 2 , I usually take the money and buy things that I am not allowed to buy with our bank money

PT Car Washer

30+ yrs ago , when I was working the midnight to 3 am shift (pt) I went 3yrs without taking any time off . Heck most sups weren't even aware that I was on vaca , they were always shorthanded .
Until a few years back , I would always work Sat. doing air driving on my vaca weeks , again no one cared.
Today I cherish every minute away from the job .
I still work Sat. Air during vacation. Pays for my union dues.

overallowed

I worked through 5 weeks vacation over a 2 year period while I was getting established in feeders. Always because they were short handed, never displaced a driver (couldn't, anyway). I am now established, and would never do it again.

UPSGUY72

Those of you that choose to work during your PAID vacation time need to get a life. If I'm on vacation I'm not working around the house never mind at UPS. I'm relaxing and having fun usually in Florida with the family work is that last thing on my mind.