Working through winter

P

pickup

News Edmonton

Only Siberia was colder

Edmonton was the chilliest place in North America Sunday, says Environment Canada meteorologist
By CLARA HO, Edmonton Sun
Last Updated: December 15, 2009 11:31am

Edmonton was the coldest place in North America yesterday morning and the second chilliest in the world.
The Edmonton International Airport saw a record low of -46.1 C and -58.4 C with the windchill, outfreezing even the Arctic.

Only Dzalinda, Siberia, appeared to be colder, with a weather station there recording temperatures of -48 C.

Yesterday's frigid temperatures broke the previous record for Dec. 13, which was -36.1 C set in 2008, as well as the record for the coldest day in December, a low of -44.5 C set on Dec. 9, 1977. Cold Lake, Grande Prairie and Whitecourt also had record lows yesterday.
The extreme weather was enough to stall some planes at the Edmonton International Airport, said spokeswoman Traci Bednard.
"A couple flights had to be diverted to Calgary (Saturday night) where it was warmer," Bednard said, adding there were a few cancellations and a few delays early yesterday morning. By 8 a.m., when the temperature improved to -40 C, most planes were able to start operating again.

Now, try to be in our cold with only 1 pair of socks (trust me, your feet won't sweat) !
This hit us last year just 12 days before xmas.
But, minus 40C is common here every year.

Minus 46.1C is roughly minus 55F
With the windchill at -58.4, didn't look it up, but should be around minus 70 - minus 75F !!!

Come visit us 1 winter, please LOL ;)

How difficult was it WORKING last winter for you, Mr. Klein?

DS

Fenderbender
It can get cold here in Toronto too,maybe not as bad as Edmonton.I like to be comfy when I'm delivering so instead of a big bulky UPS winter coat,I wear one sleeveless t shirt one short sleeved t shirt and up to 3 long sleeved t shirts under my UPS shirt.Below I have 2 pairs of pajama bottoms or one pair of sweat pants.For boots those thinsilite ones work well but make sure they are tied tightly at the top because if you have to walk through deep snow you don't want any getting in there.

klein

Für Meno :)
It can get cold here in Toronto too,maybe not as bad as Edmonton.I like to be comfy when I'm delivering so instead of a big bulky UPS winter coat,I wear one sleeveless t shirt one short sleeved t shirt and up to 3 long sleeved t shirts under my UPS shirt.Below I have 2 pairs of pajama bottoms or one pair of sweat pants.For boots those thinsilite ones work well but make sure they are tied tightly at the top because if you have to walk through deep snow you don't want any getting in there.

Maybe not as cold as Edmonton ?
good one DS.... had to do my research now :

According to Environment Canada, to reach our ultimate low of lows in Toronto, you have to go back to January 4, 1981.
On that gusty day, the thermometer at Pearson International Airport plunged to -31C. It was also the day we set a new wind chill mark, when the blowing breezes made it feel closer to -44.7.

The coldest day ever recorded in Edmonton remains unbeaten at -48.3 C with a windchill of -61 C on Jan. 26, 1972.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I carry a second pair of wool socks incase my 1st pair gets wet if for some reason you get wet socks you can have real problems in the cold.

Where layers, underamour is great, Good work boots that will keep your feet dry a must. It is worth it to pay a bit more for good pair of Boots its worth it.

klein

Für Meno :)
If the coldest you get is 30 to 35 a couple of days a year you dont have a winter. You have what we would call late fall. LOL.

+ 1 (gee it's still August here, to be specific , August 29th) !
52 friend, was our high..... I'm not looking forward to the next months :(

The low this morning was about 36F.

NHDRVR

Layers, of course, and I always keep 2 knit caps rotating from my skull to the dashboard to dry/warmup depending on the weather.

UnderArmour makes amazing shirts that wick away sweat and keep you dry and warm.

It is 96 degrees out as I type this....

landon

heat is crappy in the summer but i work in North Dakota and the winters during peak is one of the most miserable things i've ever experienced. best thing to do is stay moving!

Big Babooba

I wear short sleeve shirts year round and I never wear a tee shirt. I also don't wear a vest or liner with my jacket. I just keep my head and ears warm.