Working while retired

D

deliver_man

ups79, which local and where? That sounds like a pretty good deal.

M

mr_roboto

Has anyone heard the latest rumor--The Teamsters want to do away with 30 and out/any age. They want to set the age at 57. I was looking forward to retiring in 3 1/2 years, at 52...

if you retire before the next contract...what difference does it make to you?

W

wkmac

Heard the same type rumor but who can say if it's true. We just got a mailing in the last few weeks of the financial health of Central States and it's not good at all. You can't expect UPS and the other Teamster companies to pony up for the gross mismanagement of these various funds. Some would say it's a combination of bad market dynamics coupled with an ever growing baby boomer retiree group but the simple truth is a good fudicary manager would have planned for these variables and the conditions we now see might be lessen from impact. I don't see things changing and in fact will probably get worse and the insult to injury is we may regret the day, if not already, the blind allegience we gave to Carey and crew in 1997'. We had a chance for once to play one against the other and get a good deal but it's probably gone forever. JMO.

U

ups79

deliveryman: i failed to mention that was the pension since nov. 2000. we have heard that is about to be raised. they are going to provide the ups employees a higher pension due to the fact that are company is paying a considerable larger amount into the pensions plan then other companies that are in it. i assume after nov. 1st, but it might be after the first of 2004. it hasnot raised since nov. 2000.