Working your way up.

flip33

I'm a new employee of ups and very proud to be a part of it. I just started about a week and a half ago. My concern is that there was a new guy that was hired just two days ago and on his first day of being an unloader and after a week and a half of busting my ass unloading he was put on the line loading packages into the trucks. Well with me being new and all I figured there was a good explanation for it and didn't say anything about it. Well today (his second day) I arrived to work and helped unload the truck they were already unloading. Then started on the next. Unloaded the top half of the truck while he was on the line loading trucks again! He helped me unload the bottom half then went back to the line again while I unloaded the next truck and air truck with no help whatsoever from him. I'm not saying it's his fault or that anyone is doing anything wrong??? I asked my supervisor how long it would take to work my way to the line today and she told that I would need to keep unloading and work my way up to the line but yet the new guy is on the line already! My first day at ups I was busting my ass for less pay than I make at my regular job with the goal to work my way up and I just think it's unfair. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should say or do without causing any trouble?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't know about working your way up, but you'll soon learn that loading trucks sucks about as much ass as an enema. Most of the people who've been around a little while want to either sort, unload, or do irregs. I would say that you only have to bust your ass until you get seniority, then if you feel the need, continue to bust ass but for God's sake work safely and don't let them tell you otherwise. Here's the thing, unload is very simple and there aren't very many variables to make your day hell. The only thing you have to do is make sure you take care of your sorter or if your on pas then take care of your pal labeler. When you load, you have the stuff coming down at you so stinking hard, and the equipment is crap so everything jams up and it's more stressful than anything has a right to be. Unload is controlled chaos, but the key word is controlled. Very little to mess up your day with and really, at the end of the day, you've gotten a bitchin workout, and you can take off if you have other stuff to do, or most places will let you stay and help clean up the mess you helped to create. Good luck!

gandydancer

Not sure if the "trucks" he's loading are feeders or package cars, but neither pays any more (any more - loading package cars used to, before PAS) or is easier than unloading, IMHO. That said, the "preferred job" language in the national UPS contract will allow you to bid into whichever job (unload, load, preload) you prefer iaw seniority, when you get some. But at your rate of pay (measley) I'd inquire about which jobs in your building get the extra buck an hour, if any.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Hyena is correct. First of all , make your 30 working days (or whatever your center/hub dictates "making book), and until then work as directed and ignore what is going on.

Beyond that, then you are in a nice situation. If you work slowly and extra safely, you should be able to be moved.

The unload and load(from managements number crunching point of view) requires a certain number of packages to be moved per hour.

Of course there are no numbers in our contract to be held to, so you can move as fast or as slow as you'd like. At this point, if you're not making their numbers, they'll move you somewhere else.

I'm sure the new-hire (which makes me laugh, you're both new-hires!) newer than you wasn't fit to do the job as management would have liked, or as you are, so they moved him/her somewhere else. this happens quite often at UPS, they do as they wish with people and will lie if you ask for reasoning. It's better you don't ask any questions about it directly to management as (1) you won't get the truth and (2) you won't help your situation any.

flip33

He was loading the delivery trucks. package cars? And it's not really about the money I make. I'ts about moving forward towards getting a driving position (package truck) a better paying job in the end. And I keep hearing about contracts. I haven't had anyone talk to me about a contract or even mention it. I guess all I want is to make sure that I'm not being stepped over because from what i was told eventually you will get a job on the line which in my opinion would be alot better than unloading every single day. I'm sore as hell, lol! The only reason I applied for the job and took it is because of the opportunity to work my way up. Thanks for the reply!

flip33

So your saying to not work as hard. :). So is the contract the key to being moved elsewhere and being able to move slowly and safely or can I work " safely and slowly" now and not get fired? Thanks for your reply it really helps.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

So your saying to not work as hard. :). So is the contract the key to being moved elsewhere and being able to move slowly and safely or can I work " safely and slowly" now and not get fired? Thanks for your reply it really helps.

after your 30 working days, or whatever it takes to make book and seniority, you can work whatever speed you wish. Until then, you should definitly show at least a little enthusiasm and urgency. "Fair days work for a fair days pay" is what the contract says, no matter what management tells you or expects from you, so keep that in mind. What is good for you might be too much or too little from someone else, obviously.

As far as "moving up", it is all by seniority and time in. So you have to take your lumps, in many cases many years, to become a driver. Buying coffee and donuts for your managers will not get you anywhere except out a few bucks of your check. ;)

As far as being moved around in the building, usually after 9 months to a year you can ask to be moved to a different job in the load/unload/sort. You cannot choose a specific job in a specific area, but you can choose a job classification or function ( that's my understanding)

flip33

Thanks so much for the help! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Hope everyone I work with now will be as helpful in time.

gandydancer

...As far as being moved around in the building, usually after 9 months to a year you can ask to be moved to a different job in the load/unload/sort. You cannot choose a specific job in a specific area, but you can choose a job classification or function ( that's my understanding)

A classification (inloader, loader(feeders), preloader(package cars), irreg driver, sweeper...) is "preferred" if YOU would prefer to be doing it. If there are folks doing it with less seniority than you who haven't bid into it and management doesn't agree to put you there you can make them give you the opportunity to bid into it. Doesn't take nine months, but you're an at-will employee with no protection until you make seniority. Look alive, but don't establish an unreasonable "demonstrated level of performance". If you're not an absolute slacker, or can hide it, you'll probably have no difficulty making seniority. That's when you can start using the rule book.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

A classification (inloader, loader(feeders), preloader(package cars), irreg driver, sweeper...) is "preferred" if YOU would prefer to be doing it. If there are folks doing it with less seniority than you who haven't bid into it and management doesn't agree to put you there you can make them give you the opportunity to bid into it. Doesn't take nine months, but you're an at-will employee with no protection until you make seniority. Look alive, but don't establish an unreasonable "demonstrated level of performance". If you're not an absolute slacker, or can hide it, you'll probably have no difficulty making seniority. That's when you can start using the rule book.

You are correct. It is 6 months though to place your name on the list, not 9. I don't know where I got 9 from, maybe it was very old language. Typically if you're a "good soldier", your management team will want to place you in a position where you will succeed.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the
list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall
include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder,
Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or
workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

UPSNewbie

At my center, they hire about 4 new people a week. They put 2 on preload and 2 on unload. And then that's it really until seniority.

gandydancer

How about this? Work as directed, and if you don't like it, perhaps you should try and get on at your local WalMart.

How about this? Work as directed, but treat supes, "super" and otherwise, who make comments like the above, with the contempt they so fully earn.

705red

Browncafe Steward
How about this? Work as directed, and if you don't like it, perhaps you should try and get on at your local WalMart.
And heres a major problem with our company today folks. You have these kids that are still wearing diapers living at mommy and daddys that have been giving a title of PT supervisor and their head sweels instantly.

If you plan on working at ups in your so called supersup role, you should probably wipe the pimple cream off of your face and work on your people skills.

SuperSup

How about this? 15 years with the company, former driver, 4 years as an OnRoad. At the end of the day, I get paid to know more than you do.