Workmanscomp Questions? What is a Patient Review?

celsiana

Hello I just had surgery. SOmeone from LIBerty Mutual called and wanted to come to my house for a patient review. He said to have all my medical papers, Doctors names and addresses, therapy information and all my prescriptions ready for review.
Now I asked Don't you have all that? SInce LIberty Mutual had to approve everything ever done to me? Why do I need to give you information you already have?
Does this sound right?
Anyone else heard of this? ANy advise beside hiring a lawyer that wants to screw me over almost as bad as UPS? Thanks

Johney

Hello I just had surgery. SOmeone from LIBerty Mutual called and wanted to come to my house for a patient review. He said to have all my medical papers, Doctors names and addresses, therapy information and all my prescriptions ready for review.
Now I asked Don't you have all that? SInce LIberty Mutual had to approve everything ever done to me? Why do I need to give you information you already have?
Does this sound right?
Anyone else heard of this? ANy advise beside hiring a lawyer that wants to screw me over almost as bad as UPS? Thanks

Blow them off. I've been on comp before and only once they sent a company(Liberty)nurse to my house before surgery to explain what I needed to do paperwork I needed to send in how long I was going to be in the hospital that kinda stuff. That was back in the early 90's. I wouldn't allow them anywhere near my house now. Contact a Lawyer I know you don't want to hear that but most will give you advice without charging you.

celsiana

I went to the meeting here is the update: Apparently it is ok for them to lie and mislead the patients. I asked the man for ID and he gave me his business card. He did not work for LibertyMutual but he worked for an Investigation firm. Spectrum Investigations. He was not a a insurance claim adjuster but he is an Private investigator.
So I got tricked into that situation. I did answer his basic questions. Nothing he didn't already know or couldn't find out. Then he wanted me to sign a release for all my medical records. NO was the anwer to that request. Then he wanted me to sign a form verifying I have not worked or recieved income. NO was the answer to that request and finally he wanted to take a picture of me my DL and my injured limb. Again the answer was NO that is just too creepy. But he waited for me and took the photo anyway.

hdkappler

I went to the meeting here is the update: Apparently it is ok for them to lie and mislead the patients. I asked the man for ID and he gave me his business card. He did not work for LibertyMutual but he worked for an Investigation firm. Spectrum Investigations. He was not a a insurance claim adjuster but he is an Private investigator.
So I got tricked into that situation. I did answer his basic questions. Nothing he didn't already know or couldn't find out. Then he wanted me to sign a release for all my medical records. NO was the anwer to that request. Then he wanted me to sign a form verifying I have not worked or recieved income. NO was the answer to that request and finally he wanted to take a picture of me my DL and my injured limb. Again the answer was NO that is just too creepy. But he waited for me and took the photo anyway.
i would of called a lawyer before he came to my house.wouldn't let him in the door.a lawyer knows best.there job is to help you.

THETOWN

You should have never allowed a stranger into your home. It doesn't come as a surprise that LM or UPS would pull a stunt like that. Remember that the company and LM are looking for any reason to terminate you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I told the yahoo who just showed up at my house that he is lucky I didn't call the cops and if he wants to talk to me, he can meet me at UPS on the clock. He showed up a couple weeks later at the building. 2 hours of overtime later, it was decided by a UPS lady in Albany and my lawyer that no conversations would occur, any questions to be asked would be forwarded to my attorney for him to review. Talk about hilarious!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I would have called the police!!

Johney

Why would they send an investigator to your house and you let him in by just showing a business card? Wow you are a very trusting person. If you just had surgery and they covered it then they can't think your faking it. Usually P.I.'s are used for surveillance on people trying to rip off comp. P.I.'s aren't cheap and like you said anything he asked you or he could get from the insurance company if he really works for them. Something sure smells fishy.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I believe they do it to everyone. Girlfriend from Preload who was injured by the same yahoos, got the same visit I got from the same person(at least, very similar description). The guy that came to the building was the same that came to my house. He's a former trooper. My on-cars mother(dispatcher) and brother(investigator) both worked for the troopers and he knew him. Said he was a nice guy who is retired and Liberty is his 'retirement job'.

Johney

Never happened to me. But I did have an attorney. I just wonder why they do it. Intimidation?

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Probably. That and there are people who fake it. I wasn't one of them. I was actually back on the payroll when mne showed up. I had been authorized for bi-lateral caral tunnel release about 6 months before and hadn't done it yet. Come to find out, he was basically inquiring when I planned on having surgery.

CRASH501

I believe they do it to everyone. Girlfriend from Preload who was injured by the same yahoos, got the same visit I got from the same person(at least, very similar description). The guy that came to the building was the same that came to my house. He's a former trooper. My on-cars mother(dispatcher) and brother(investigator) both worked for the troopers and he knew him. Said he was a nice guy who is retired and Liberty is his 'retirement job'.
IRONICALY 1 of the investigators on my case was also a moonlighting NYS trooper, but for whatever reason he did not come into court to testify. Maybe it had something to do with his crappy survelience and the fact that on the video evidence I am seen pointing him out to about 6 people.......lol too funny

Johney

Comp fraud. Our local comp fraud investigator is also a retired trooper. He works on commission and has more work than he can handle.
I can understand that; but if they already approved the surgery then fraud is pretty much out huh? I mean why approve and pay then try and claim fraud? Unless your saying you can't return to work and the Dr. says that there are no restrictions. But even with that I doubt they want you to know you are being watched. Just seems strange to me, not that it isn't happening, just seems strange.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I can understand that; but if they already approved the surgery then fraud is pretty much out huh? I mean why approve and pay then try and claim fraud? Unless your saying you can't return to work and the Dr. says that there are no restrictions. But even with that I doubt they want you to know you are being watched. Just seems strange to me, not that it isn't happening, just seems strange.
You have never been on comp in NY. It is ALL strange. Every part of it. In my case, they wanted to know when I was going to have the carpal tunnel surgery. The had the tests proving I had carpal tunnel. My doctor, the doctor who did the carpal tunnel test, and the comp dr all agreed it was needed, just not an emergency. The authorization is good for one year. I just kept going until everyone finally nagged me into it. It was the UPS health and safety manager in Albany that was the most insistent. I don't think she meant anything other than good will. She has been extremely helpful when I couldn't get Liberty to do something. One phone call to her and done! She got so pissed at one of my case managers that he doesn't work at Liberty anymore.