World's Most Ethical Companies

hoser

Industrial Slob
ups is unionized. that makes it ethical. the fact that you have rights by means of a contract makes ups ethical. if you don't think it's ethical, go to china or something.

W

westsideworma

hmmmm... I could probably open a whole can of worms...

I have to agree with you.

I have seen some "questionable" things at my hub, but when ordered to do something that makes no sense (read: unsafe in my mind) I refuse and nothing ever happens, they move on and find someone who will. Granted this is an extremely rare occurrence but the fact that it does when we preach safety all the time is unacceptable.

Everything is numbers, everything. They do anything to get them, ANYTHING. Which is fine, I play their game and when I don't want to, I have contractual reasons for refusing. I always give them 110% (unless they've unjustly screwed me...and that does happen from time to time) so when I feel something isn't right I say so. they ignore it usually, but its ok, least I said something, too many people keep their head down and move along here.

20yearvet

Hi, new to the site, but I can tell you I have seen both hourly and management get removed to things that in other companies are only a cause for discussion. We have a very reliable company here, whether it is believable or not. If you do something morally wrong, you will be disciplined, up and to termination. Nothing wrong with that. My very first manager, back in the mid 80's once told me, "If you think it is wrong or question it in any way, it is".

hoser

Industrial Slob
I have to agree with you.

I have seen some "questionable" things at my hub, but when ordered to do something that makes no sense (read: unsafe in my mind) I refuse and nothing ever happens, they move on and find someone who will. Granted this is an extremely rare occurrence but the fact that it does when we preach safety all the time is unacceptable.

Everything is numbers, everything. They do anything to get them, ANYTHING. Which is fine, I play their game and when I don't want to, I have contractual reasons for refusing. I always give them 110% (unless they've unjustly screwed me...and that does happen from time to time) so when I feel something isn't right I say so. they ignore it usually, but its ok, least I said something, too many people keep their head down and move along here.
ethical functioning and "employee job satisfaction" are two completely different things.

ups' business model functions on efficiency. in return, they pay their employees very well. very very well.

furthermore, employees belong to a powerful union with a clearly defined contract. i've seen problem managers shifted around where at all of my last employers, they would have stayed put no matter how upset employees got.

ups is an ethical company. it's half assed and does not make me satisfied, but that doesn't make them unethical. just not very innovative

ihadit

705 - Why is it that we have all these young supervisors that don't have the experience??? Is it because people like you don't want the responsibility or the challange to make the company better? Sorry if this riles you...but we need experience and there are not enough people willing to take that challenge to make UPS a better place. Have you tried talking to the "kid" or to the "kid's" manager...or how about the division manager. Everybody needs training and coaching. Be a part of the solution not the problem!
Since Eskew took over this company has been in a downward spiral, it will not get better until he is out. Its almost comical watching the sups walking around like zombies from the long hours and endless bashings from their bosses. I'm laughing all the way to the bank with all the o/t we're getting because of PAS. Keep up the good work Eskew, glad I dumped UPS stock 3 yrs ago. I have no sympathy for management they're finally getting what they deserve!

Braveheart

A happy worker is a vigilant worker! ;)

The rate they fire managers, and put them in compromising positions, is why no one wants the job. If a manager cares about people, he's quickly run out the door. Wouldn't shock me if UPS was part owner of that magazine as they like a stacked deck.

When things start working well the Hiarchy always throws a monkey wrench into the works, and all too often they take the "S" out of the U. P. which has cost us some big accounts, as we go at things so generically. In short far too much micro-management.
Hit it on the head. We lost the only 2 good, hard working, on roads we had. They cared and were cool. So when the uppers could not turn them, they ran them off. All of the former managers tell me that they are treated worse than they treat us so why in the hell would we want to go into management.

705red

Browncafe Steward
ups is unionized. that makes it ethical. the fact that you have rights by means of a contract makes ups ethical. if you don't think it's ethical, go to china or something.
If ups was ethical they would honor the contract that they agreed to! They wouldnt violate seniority, allow sups to work, terminate without just cause, respect 9.5 language, honor 8 hour requests, should i keep going or is that unethical enough for you?

Braveheart

Going back to the original subject. Ethics goes to the core of the individual and the company. You either have it or you don't! Most folks in our company are ethical and hard working people. Sooooo, do those folks deserve recognition for being part of a company that is considered one of the most ethical companies....you bet they do!
If the company is so ethical why did it have to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to the IRS a few years ago for that little illegal tax shelter scheme. If the company is so ethical why does it lose lawsuit after lawsuit in the courts. I know of one driver years ago who was harassed into reporting to work after he attempted to call in sick and ended up in the hospital with a heart attack. He was terminated while still in the hospital! UPS settled his case out of court in a hurry to avoid the media attention. Why does UPS lose thousands of grievances every single year if they are so damn ethical. They hide supervisors working, give their buddies the extra OT, days off, choice of routes, newest trucks and promotions without following seniorty order, ask us to continue working even though the seat belt is broken but are the first to fire you if you drive 10 feet to the next house without your seat belt on! Why do so many drivers and part timers get their jobs back and with back pay if the company is so ethical they never should have been fired! I know a driver who was given a warning letter for being bit by a dog in the back of the leg! I know another driver who was denied a day off for her sons' wedding rehearsal so the brown nosing lower seniority driver could go on vacation 1 day early. By the way she is a scratch driver with excellent attendance. Ethical my ass.

Braveheart

How about all the unetical replys they give to our customers who file damage claims. It is the same reply every single time, IMPROPER PACKING. Even when I know my customers do perfect packing. We lost two shippers in my center for this unethical responce to their legit claims. They got sick of the constant LIES. Hey but UPS is so ethical one of my customers just told me her Aunt was one year from retiring from UPS management up in Indiana and they eliminated her departments pension. She works in the airplanes and maintenance division. Way to go UPS!

UPS Lifer

Since Eskew took over this company has been in a downward spiral, it will not get better until he is out. Its almost comical watching the sups walking around like zombies from the long hours and endless bashings from their bosses. I'm laughing all the way to the bank with all the o/t we're getting because of PAS. Keep up the good work Eskew, glad I dumped UPS stock 3 yrs ago. I have no sympathy for management they're finally getting what they deserve!

Don't forget - if the company goes down you go with it!!!! Can you find another job making what you make???

Don't get the false sense of security that a lot of people will go before you (seniority) because, once things start start to spiral down everything and everyone will be fair game.

If you anticipate continuing to work at UPS and anticipate a pension - you better continue to try and make things better if for no other reason than your own security.

Ethically speaking - Is it ok to steal time because mgmt is letting you (PAS)? I would like you to answer that one for me....

You are in this thing with mgmt - start fixing it the ethical way!!!!

UPS Lifer

If the company is so ethical.. Ethical my ass.

I guess I am confused????? Why do you work for a company that you feel is not ethical?:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1

Do you feel that trapped that you can't go to a more ethical company and work for them? :confused:1

Is UPS the best of the worst or what??? Help me understand why you work for UPS?:confused:1

Dfigtree

In Ethisphere Magazine there was the Ranking of 2007 World's Most Ethical Companies. Under Transportation & Logistics was UPS.:)
UPS is one of the world's most ethical companies like the United States is one of the world's most ethical countries.

Now if the articcle you are talking about said that UPS was THE most ethical company, well, that would just be outright lieing.

BTW, in years past, were Enron and Lucent on that list?

moreluck

golden ticket member
dfig..I posted the link earlier (#37) to the entire article.....read for yourself if there's a question on the wording......or maybe there's a "history" search and you can check out the Enron & Lucent thing you asked about.

athena

I believe this is the first time Ethisphere has issued a ranking of the most ethical companies. Also, I doubt that Ethishpere, a company dedicated to highlighting the relationship between the ethical business practices and increased profits, could be paid off by UPS. It seems it would go against their very purpose for existing.

feederdude

Does the name Cal Darden Jr. sound familiar. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
Those that don't accept the fact of people in upper management making decisions based on the retribution, have their heads buried in the sand.
Feederdude

hoser

Industrial Slob
You guys are looking bottom up. These ethical raters look top-down. And if you look top-down, it's pretty hard to disagree. Their method of efficiency (cramming your package car of full of bulk, doing one route equivilent to fedex's 3) is good for the environment. UPS acts in good faith with the unions. VERY good faith. They're an essential company with a very good reputation on the outside.

UPS is ethical. Just because your PT supervisor is a dick doesn't make the firm unethical. Considering we're the largest unionized workforce in the world, it's hard to argue UPS is unethical.

Does the name Cal Darden Jr. sound familiar. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
Those that don't accept the fact of people in upper management making decisions based on the retribution, have their heads buried in the sand.
Feederdude

That particular individual was a dope, IMO.

That said, there are constraints and regulations and consent decrees that have to be complied with and he was the best gamble at the time - also IMO.

Then again, if you want to talk about "fruit doesn't fall far from the tree" I can point out hundreds upon hundreds of Teamsters with children/spouses/siblings/parents that (and who themselves) ARE crooks and rapists and molesters and criminals of the worst sort.

You don't really want to toss stones from your glass castle, do you?

I thought not.

Not for nothing but feeder drivers have never been brain surgeons. But you know that.