World's Most Ethical Companies

J

JonFrum

And let's not forget UPS' deliberate illegal parking policy!

Parking Tickets By The Truckload
Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, February 24, 2007

"International courier UPS receives an average of more than one San Francisco parking ticket every hour, giving the company the unenviable distinction of being the city's No. 1 parking violator."

"Last year, United Parcel Service paid $673,334 in fines for 11,788 tickets -- an average of one ticket every 45 minutes throughout the year."
- - - -
Big Apple Parking Puts Bite On UPS
Adam Goldman - Associated Press
Friday, September 1, 2006

"Atlanta-based UPS has a fleet of 1,000 trucks and receives about 15,000 tickets a month here. The company is the biggest offender in the city, paying $18.7 million in parking violations for the fiscal year ending June 30, according to city data."

And this is just for two cities!!! Imagine the tally nationwide? Worldwide?

N

Don't forget - if the company goes down you go with it!!!! Can you find another job making what you make???

Don't get the false sense of security that a lot of people will go before you (seniority) because, once things start start to spiral down everything and everyone will be fair game.

If you anticipate continuing to work at UPS and anticipate a pension - you better continue to try and make things better if for no other reason than your own security.

Ethically speaking - Is it ok to steal time because mgmt is letting you (PAS)? I would like you to answer that one for me....

You are in this thing with mgmt - start fixing it the ethical way!!!!
I could not agree more.
I am an hourly employee with 13 years of service.
I am proud to say that i work for ups, agreed their are some
boneheads running the show.
Quit whining and and work toward change.
We are stock holders and employees if we can't make changes who can?
don't be part of the problem.
Let the flames begin.
bill

Braveheart

he works for the company the same reason you do/did........money.
Thanks. And the benefits too. Oh and to hold the line and to try to keep all the new younger employees from being taken advantage of. Like being lied to constantly about what their rights are and what they can and can't do. Usually what a manager says in my building is either a lie or a half truth at best.

Braveheart

Don't forget - if the company goes down you go with it!!!! Can you find another job making what you make???

Don't get the false sense of security that a lot of people will go before you (seniority) because, once things start start to spiral down everything and everyone will be fair game.

If you anticipate continuing to work at UPS and anticipate a pension - you better continue to try and make things better if for no other reason than your own security.

Ethically speaking - Is it ok to steal time because mgmt is letting you (PAS)? I would like you to answer that one for me....

You are in this thing with mgmt - start fixing it the ethical way!!!!
I do try to help fix things with EDD, PAS and so forth. If I feel a customer is fudging on the weight of boxes and if employees are stealing. But I also catch managers stealing like underpaying employees and not paying funeral leave. I just catch the managers cheating the employees more than I find the opposite.

UPS Lifer

I do try to help fix things with EDD, PAS and so forth. If I feel a customer is fudging on the weight of boxes and if employees are stealing. But I also catch managers stealing like underpaying employees and not paying funeral leave. I just catch the managers cheating the employees more than I find the opposite.

It makes me sick when I hear stories of unethical mgmt folks. In my experience, I have seen that folks like this don't last long (less than 5 years). That is still way to long to have influence over others. The problem is that they also help to corrupt younger mgmt as well. They need to be termed. Please utilize the Hotline when you find out about people like this. They need to be held accountable. On the positive side...some do realize the path they are going down and change but if they are left without oversight chances are nothing will change.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Why isn't UPS ever voted # 1 place to work. Oh Yeah, they only care about public perception, not their own people...
yep :crying:

but at the same time, we UPSers make very good money and receive very good benefits. as such, we have to deal with the spinelessness sometimes. no need to worry, however, we are apart of the world's largest unionized workforce.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Re: And let's not forget UPS' deliberate illegal parking policy!

Parking Tickets By The Truckload
Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, February 24, 2007

"International courier UPS receives an average of more than one San Francisco parking ticket every hour, giving the company the unenviable distinction of being the city's No. 1 parking violator."

"Last year, United Parcel Service paid $673,334 in fines for 11,788 tickets -- an average of one ticket every 45 minutes throughout the year."
- - - -
Big Apple Parking Puts Bite On UPS
Adam Goldman - Associated Press
Friday, September 1, 2006

"Atlanta-based UPS has a fleet of 1,000 trucks and receives about 15,000 tickets a month here. The company is the biggest offender in the city, paying $18.7 million in parking violations for the fiscal year ending June 30, according to city data."

And this is just for two cities!!! Imagine the tally nationwide? Worldwide?
an instructor of ethics may say "well, hmm, they do pay the fines...and the trade off for breaking a parking law is that commerce continues efficiently"

J

JonFrum

Re: And let's not forget UPS' deliberate illegal parking policy!

an instructor of ethics may say "well, hmm, they do pay the fines...and the trade off for breaking a parking law is that commerce continues efficiently"

He may be an Instructor, but not of Ethics. No one has the right to disregard The Law on such a massive scale, and for situations that are not emergencies. [I realize there are, on rare occasions, extreme circumstances when a lower law may be violated for a higher purpose. Like when you are rushing someone to a hospital and very carefully run a red light, knowing there is no one else at the intersection to hit.]

UPS does pay the fines, but only after they Plea Bargain them down to a lesser amount, just like they do with OSHA fines and IRS fines. They use the fact that they could contest the tickets, and that it would cost the cities a lot of money to process the cases, to persuade the authorities to lower the fines. This process just adds another level to the corruption. The police, the meter maids, the politicians, the courts, all play this corrupt game.

I wonder how many times the illegally parked vehicle is itself a safety hazard, or an obstacle to the efficient flow of (other people's) commerce? For every one ticket UPS gets, how many other times did they break the law and get away with it because no policeman was nearby? What does the inconvienced general public think of the illegally parked vehicle?

Such corruption tends to spread throught a company. Look at the state of UPS today!

To see the extent of just this one policy, do an Internet search on:
UPS Parking Tickets.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Does the name Cal Darden Jr. sound familiar. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
Those that don't accept the fact of people in upper management making decisions based on the retribution, have their heads buried in the sand.
Feederdude

:mad: That was a really low shot. I worked with Cal Darden Sr. when he was a division manager in West New York District in the 70's and I can tell you from personal experience he is one of the good guys. From my experience he is one of the most ethical people this company has ever seen. 'nuf said!

spartandawg77

Well I worked for him from 1993-1995 and obviously he changed! Dude was by far the WORST I EVER SAW! Played favorites, spent Thousands of dollars in office furniture and then took with him when he went to Atlanta, donated UPS MONEY to his church, stabbed several supervisors and managers throughout the region! Wasn't too many people sad to see him leave California! Bye bye Bunka

TheKid

I think she is married to a man who was in management forever, including when the stock split like rabbits, and is now living the high life in exotic places.
I think its great that she got to enjoy the wrath of the company vicariously.
If she was married to UPS management person in the 70's and 80's , she EARNED every moment of joy she/they have right now. And this is coming from a 28 yr Teamster and shop steward.

Wizzy

37 year teamster, pkg car driver . Probably most of the peeps who voted for this only know UPS thru the guy in brown uniform everyday. We should accept things like this and remember for a bunch of laborers we provide well for families and not speak ill of the shirts and ties who think they made a difference!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
37 year teamster, pkg car driver . Probably most of the peeps who voted for this only know UPS thru the guy in brown uniform everyday. We should accept things like this and remember for a bunch of laborers we provide well for families and not speak ill of the shirts and ties who think they made a difference!
Those peeps voted for UPS as the company with the Most Whiniest Employees.