Worried about promotion, please help

Re-Raise

So what?

You were hired to do a job at UPS and they paid you to do it. You think you did a good job. I am happy for you. That was what they expected from you when they hired you.

Now you think they somehow owe you more. You don't always get everything you want in life. There may not even be a position open. They probably told you anything they could to make you go away so they could do their jobs , which believe it or not, might not have anything to do with you.

You are entitled to nothing in life. The sooner you can accept this the better.

So what?

You were hired to do a job at UPS and they paid you to do it. You think you did a good job. I am happy for you. That was what they expected from you when they hired you.

Now you think they somehow owe you more. You don't always get everything you want in life. There may not even be a position open. They probably told you anything they could to make you go away so they could do their jobs , which believe it or not, might not have anything to do with you.

You are entitled to nothing in life. The sooner you can accept this the better.

Encouraging words of wisdom. Thank you for that. Truly inspirational...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
What, you still here? I thought you were leaving UPS??

came here for advice and people tore me pieces for reasons that are not a reality...... Come on man, seriously.
Hey kid. What you did was post about being "worried about your promotion." Hell, as it stands right now, you dont even have a job, how can you get promoted? Get serious, seriously!
I felt as tho the interviews I went on were not for the most legit companies
Let me touch on this again, obviously, you are the only one that did not get what I was trying to say. You, a wet behind the ears, snotty nosed kids had interviews with companies, but in your opinion, they were not legit???? Especially when you posted
Most of my friends that graduated either work terrible jobs or had to take free internships,

So again the real truth of the matter is that you could not find a job, but you want us to believe that you are so discriminating that you wont work for existing companies that you think are not legit??? Be real for a minute, you really want us to believe that crap? They didnt need you. Not the other way around. Pure and simple.
If you cannot see a kid fresh out of college; researching, then making a plan for himself and committing to the plan and everyone he comes in contact with show positive feedback/support and fill his head with ideas that are not going to happen a bit sad then this convo is obviously wasted

Actually, lets cover this a bit. But first, lets get another related post
Then nothing happens. I am doing exactly what I was taught in college and I am doing it well
And what is it that they taught you in school that you are doing well? Having a hissyfit? Well, yes, you are doing that quite well. But they taught you how to dig a hole for plants while in school? After all, you are landscaping, right?

I have noticed that one of the things they teach you in school is how damn important you are with your degree. And the night of your graduation, you were the king of the hill. Problem is that the school is not the real world. Just like graduation from highschool. Nothing like a dose of the real world to bring fantasy back to earth.

I drove for 6 months.
OK, you drove for 6 months. And you were laid off in december?
And even when I became a driver they made me wait over a month from the time I finished driving school til my first day. I was the only one they did that too
Gee, too bad you had to wait to be the last driver to be called in to work. After all, someone had to be last, didnt they?
I worked for 6 months as a driver, but had my initial interview was in May, but with the whole process, and driving school, and them not starting me for a month after driving school, it was not until July I started
Bubba, this is standard procedure. You were lucky, most seasonal hires are not even started until the end of the summer
I am not weak and I worked more than one month with UPS
Yes, child, we know. And you were a cross between the Hulk, Super Man, Bat Man, Green Hornet, with a bit of OO7 thrown in for good measure. You were a star, and no body cared.........Welcome to the real world.....

Then nothing happens. I am doing exactly what I was taught in college and I am doing it well
Yes sir, they taught you well. Dont get what you want exactly when and how you want, and you stomp off in a hissyfit. Gee, we didnt offer you Scotts job after you worked a whole 6 months as a casual driver? How can UPS be so insensitive?????

Will someone please pass this kid a box of Kleenex????

Like you said, SERIOUSLY!

d

I think this will be one of my last post. Thank you to everybody for your honest feedback. Dannyboy, thank you for being honest with me. Good luck everybody with driving and which ever respective jobs you hold. This is not like me to complain, and was not my intentions. I just wanted feedback and some of the posts upset me and made me defensive. I apologize for that. I still wave to UPS drivers and open doors when I see them coming in with the hand-truck. Good day to all and please know I feel stupid now and I regret saying many of the things I did. I loved UPS when I was a driver. It made me feel like I was a part of a great team.

P.S. stay safe :)

Re-Raise

The moral is I was given false hopes. It is not that I am lazy or did not sell myself, because if you read everything I wrote, I indeed did. Plain and simple. On my lunch breaks I would go over all the commentaries and points, and study my map. I would read sales books. Tell me that's lazy? I tried to do EVERYTHING in my power to make myself the best and most capable employee. My first few weeks I always drove to my route on the weekends and followed the route. I would Google map roads at night and study the roads.

And the coach wouldn't play you even though you were better than the starters. Unfortunately I know a lot of kids who whine like you when they don't get what they want.

It doesn't fly at my house with my kids. Get a little tougher bark on you son you aren't as special as your mommy told you that you were.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I am damn right giving UPS an ultimatum. I have a stellar resume and always prevail. They put me in a route where everybody struggles with. People have quit because of that route, tow trucks have spent a lot of time in that route, because drivers got into bad situations. Not me, because I am smart, aware, and one hell of a worker. By the end of peak when I was doing more stops then anyone else in history of that route and coming in an hour early, nobody could believe it. They want to treat an employee like this, they will lose in the long run.
In my opinion, you should be an on-car supervisor. You certainly sound like one.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Before you kiss us all good by, let me give you some advice

Never ever give up on your dream. You have, and have found someone to blame. Get back in the saddle and push forward.

To think of yourself as only management matériel, when managers are so many, and the jobs are too few, limits you. Dont limit yourself. Take what you can get to get your living expenses covered, and cast a larger net. Too many people have been turned down dozens of times, but because they had their eyes on the prize, finally got there.

The reason you did not find a shoulder here to cry on is that too many of the hourly have seen flash in the pan people like you actually get into management, and with very few exceptions, were never good managers. Actually many were the worst managers UPS has ever promoted. And most are now gone. And the sups here know it takes unwavering dedication and sometimes a lot of time to get to where they want to be in life. For sure, not right out of school.

So shine up that impressively impeccable resume, and move on.

d

pretzel_man

Just curious. What is the right reason? Most people take jobs for the pay, benefits and opportunities offered. Not too many people are attracted to UPS management for the superior working conditions and pleasant atmosphere.

Good Reasons off the top of my head:

Type of work you want to do.

Something you are good at.

Peope you want to work with.

Re-Raise

Outdoorsman48 I feel I am being a little too hard on you. I know you are young and have a plan for yourself which is great and already gives you an advantage over a lot of kids your age.

Going to college is a good first step, but it is only a step. I am sure that you learned in your business classes that the key to marketing is to identify a need in the marketplace and fulfill that need. There may not be position open in BD at UPS.

Take what you learned as a seasonal driver and apply it to your job search. Anyone who can deliver for 10 + hours at peak should find interviewing and looking for available jobs to be a breeze.

Don't lose your confidence in yourself, just realize things don't always go smoothly.

Before you kiss us all good by, let me give you some advice

Never ever give up on your dream. You have, and have found someone to blame. Get back in the saddle and push forward.

To think of yourself as only management matériel, when managers are so many, and the jobs are too few, limits you. Dont limit yourself. Take what you can get to get your living expenses covered, and cast a larger net. Too many people have been turned down dozens of times, but because they had their eyes on the prize, finally got there.

The reason you did not find a shoulder here to cry on is that too many of the hourly have seen flash in the pan people like you actually get into management, and with very few exceptions, were never good managers. Actually many were the worst managers UPS has ever promoted. And most are now gone. And the sups here know it takes unwavering dedication and sometimes a lot of time to get to where they want to be in life. For sure, not right out of school.

So shine up that impressively impeccable resume, and move on.

d

I appreciate it and will do my best in everything I do. UPS has definitely made me a better person in general. Thank you for being stern and helping me see straight.

Outdoorsman48 I feel I am being a little too hard on you. I know you are young and have a plan for yourself which is great and already gives you an advantage over a lot of kids your age.

Going to college is a good first step, but it is only a step. I am sure that you learned in your business classes that the key to marketing is to identify a need in the marketplace and fulfill that need. There may not be position open in BD at UPS.

Take what you learned as a seasonal driver and apply it to your job search. Anyone who can deliver for 10 + hours at peak should find interviewing and looking for available jobs to be a breeze.

Don't lose your confidence in yourself, just realize things don't always go smoothly.

Thank you and no worries, I'm not too sensitive haha. Yeah working peak definitely made me a tougher and better person for the long run. I understand things don't always go smoothly and will take everything I learned to better myself.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Persistence
You will fall, and it will hurt, but the difference between the board room and skid row is persistence. And the ability to adapt. Maybe the path needs to take a short detour? And sometimes the need to just step back and laugh. Then go after it again.

You are building a building. You want to go straight from the floor pour to the rafter installation without putting up the walls first.

d

loved1

I think you are acting like a baby. Look man, just because you worked one peak season as a driver, you think ups owes you something. Think again. If you can't handle doing your time, and you dot have tough skin...... Go find another job somewhere else. PERIOD.

Ive worked at ups for 15 years. You would FAIL at bd. You don't have the balls or the knowledge of the ups system to do well at BD. Your college degree only gets you so far. At ups you put in your time if your :censored2: can't be patient. We don't need ya.

barnyard

KTM rider
I think you are acting like a baby. Look man, just because you worked one peak season as a driver, you think ups owes you something. Think again. If you can't handle doing your time, and you dot have tough skin...... Go find another job somewhere else. PERIOD.

Ive worked at ups for 15 years. You would FAIL at bd. You don't have the balls or the knowledge of the ups system to do well at BD. Your college degree only gets you so far. At ups you put in your time if your :censored2: can't be patient. We don't need ya.

Your 1st post is to criticize a thread that is almost 18 months old.

I would say that you fail at message boards.