Worst CEO Ever?

Six Sides

I remember the great “Wizard Oz” very well. Atlanta was called the Emerald City; we all had plenty of green too. But I must say people did come and go rather quickly. We all should have stayed on the yellow brick road and a private company too!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, UPS stock was always a good investment before we went public. Mainly because of the growth in service area, and services offered. The only way we would get that kind of growth now would be if FEDEX or the postal service went under.

Secondly, the package delivery business is not one that has a lot of profit potential with its stock compared to other stock with phenomenal growth rates over the last 10 years. Income is down in the US, the only reason we are turning profits are over seas growth. That and branching out into other fields that we have never offered before. Looking to increase revenue in areas you have never done before is ways businesses grow. Doing that with my business.

So with the above in mind, while I dont like some of the directions UPS has taken over the last 10 years, it is not that much different than many other companies. And while Scott's stock options are large, they are very much tied to the long term success of UPS, far past 2012. So he is looking long term as well.

Just my humble opinion.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
When i began at UPS I heard a lot of talk about customer service, I dont hear that at all anymore.

Its all about numbers, stops per car seems to matter now more then anything else.

Doing pick ups inside some 15 min. window that not one of my customers cares about matters.

Getting the packages delived to customers in some kind of window does not matter at all. My customers like knowing I will be there around a certain time.
When I get area addd to my route and show up hours later then normal they get PO'd. I mention this to my sup's they tell me it does not matter as long as they meet their stops per car number.

Watching how they treat mgmt at the our level is just sad, mgmt no longer is able to run a building like they should all they can do is put out a certain number of routes. If they know they need 2 more routes they cant add them in. But if they fail to cut 1 route to make their number they have hell to pay.

Is Davis our worst CEO, who knows? But he has no clue what it is like in the drivers seat, and I dont think he cares one bit.

My two cents.

packageguy

You know the founding fathers are rolling in there grave, Putting an outsider to run this company never.
this company build on customer service, not no more. Sorry Mr. Casey

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
LIL brown

I dont know, I think the business man part of Jim would be intrigued with being a world wide player......Logistics facilitator, and many other items that UPS is dabbling in. So for those things I believe he would be proud.

As far as the way people at UPS are treating each other.......well, its a different world out there. Integrity at UPS has many meanings, all depending on who you are talking about. That aspect, I believe would make him furious.

d

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If we were to score our CEO with a "balanced scorecard" so to speak, then I believe he would likely score higher on the shareholder side of the equation and lower on the employee side. We are often treated to such warm and fuzzy phrases as " your most important stop", which is another way of characterizing the family you see less and less of with the newly added extra stops per car, and "most valuable asset" which is another way of saying the inexhaustible supply of mules we have who deliver the packages.

By simply changing drivers, or CEO's, in an aging car, or aging workforce, can you make the car go faster by just flooring the accelerator? Sure! How long will it last? Who cares? But hopefully until his next bonus is payable so it "appears" that his business acumen is sharp and on track.

Scott Davis reminds me of a slick used car salesman, with a vehicle he is making ready for market. While he knows what is under the hood is getting worn out, does he schedule more maintenance, and reduce the duty cycle to ensure the reliability of the vehicle for the prospective buyers? How about reassessing the safe limits of what might be expected of the vehicle? How about ensuring the vehicle will have a life of some quality after the new owners of the future take it for a spin with their dependents on board by providing it with the basic care to keep it sound and solid. Well....NO! That sounds expensive! Instead just kick the can down the road and let the chips fall where they may. It looks like a new coat of wax (without actually washing the car mind you) will give the appearance of a well oiled machine. And that should sell the shareholders just fine.

"Where the freeways meet in Downey"!