Worst job ever. National layoff???

I was hired on at UPS as a pre-loader for peak season.

My 1st interview was good and the guy said I could be on as soon as 1-2 weeks.

Then a week later I had a 2nd, and they said 1-2 weeks.

Then I had a THIRD interview, where they said it might not be after thxgiving.

So I got a call 2 days later for orientation.

After that, I was called at 4:48 am, 2 people called in sick and they needed me. So I came out.

The super, the entire time, said "hurry up", "move faster". I was going 90 miles an hour. Boxes were a blur and I was dripping sweat.

So at 8:30, I went home.

I was called yet again, at the same time. So I got dressed like a fireman and sped out there.

The super had the nuts to call my cell phone and say "where you at? Come on, hurry!" Ya, like I'm going to break the law to get there 3 mins early.

So I get there and start unloading again.

He told me "you gotta keep the rollers full at all times". Well he wanted to stack the rollers 3 boxes deep.

Come to find out your not supposed to do that. No wonder I couldn't keep up. He wanted me to do 3x as much work!

Come break time, he pulls me off to the side "listen, your not moving fast enough, if you don't pick up the pace, your being let go".

He also said "You been here 2 days, I shouldn't have to hold your hand."
So after break was over I started up again, and gave it my all, I was lifting boxes over 70 pounds, just so I wouldn't slow down.

After the shift, he pulled me off again "sorry, but your just not a good fit for us".

I have a friend who knows two people who worked for UPS in different states. They both were fired today for not being fast. One was told:

"Since you were let go for not meeting goals, you cannot work for UPS anywhere anymore"

Is UPS doing a national lay-off? 3 people let go in one day??

I think it was utter bull**** I got fired. I was expected to know everything in 2 days.

ocnewguy

I haven't been here long enough to really know, but I'm assuming that's just the way seasonals get treated here. We got a week training with a sup, these new guys they're bringing in get one day if that and then they're thrown in the meat grinder alone. No wonder they can't keep anyone.

UPSGUY72

Just like any other working at UPS isn't for everyone. You need have thick skin and be able to adapt and over come.

turdburglar

Just like any other working at UPS isn't for everyone. You need have thick skin and be able to adapt and over come.
The way the guy is describing it, he was never given a chance to adapt. If he is telling the truth about how hard he was working (which, given current information, I have no reason to disbelieve him), then he was let go simply because he can be let go due to the fact that he is a seasonal. Such is how it goes for seasonals. They are used and abused, and when their usefulness runs out (Read: Peak season is over), they are unceremoniously kicked to the curb. Although, apparently some are let go before that for whatever reason.

Macbrother

You're not the first seasonal horror story I've read here and probably won't be the last. I guess I was fortunate, I was brought on last year's peak loading trucks on preload, the supervisors were friendly and the work was manageable -- I was let go for 2 weeks in January but then re-hired. It's definitely not like what you describe everywhere, perhaps you just had the misfortune to work at a center with unconscionable :censored2:bags. While you're a seasonal the best you can do is be a good soldier, work as fast as is safely possible while maintaining focus on what you're doing, and hope for the best really. Sorry it seems you were put in a virtually unwinnable situation.

Indecisi0n

That's UPS, a bunch of dickheads. From what you described sounds like they didn't cut you any slack. Its tough until you make book. After that you can pretty much tell them to go **** themselves through your actions. It's sort of fun.

UPSGUY72

The way the guy is describing it, he was never given a chance to adapt. If he is telling the truth about how hard he was working (which, given current information, I have no reason to disbelieve him), then he was let go simply because he can be let go due to the fact that he is a seasonal. Such is how it goes for seasonals. They are used and abused, and when their usefulness runs out (Read: Peak season is over), they are unceremoniously kicked to the curb. Although, apparently some are let go before that for whatever reason.

The kid was unloading trailers it isn't hard you pick up a package and put it on the rollers or extendo and repeat as fast and safely as possible. I have been there and done that it isn't hard it just constant work. There isn't a break in period there nothing to learn your either got the concept after 30 seconds or your don't after 2 days if your still don't get it your never will and it's time for UPS to cut it's loses and find someone else that can do the job.

Seasonal people are hired knowing from the start that they will be working on a as needed basis.

Re-Raise

You have to be in pretty good physical condition to unload trailers fast enough at UPS. They aren't going to waste much time with you if you aren't able to do it.

Working at UPS is not for everyone.

turdburglar

The kid was unloading trailers it isn't hard you pick up a package and put it on the rollers or extendo and repeat as fast and safely as possible. I have been there and done that it isn't hard it just constant work. There isn't a break in period there nothing to learn your either got the concept after 30 seconds or your don't after 2 days if your still don't get it your never will and it's time for UPS to cut it's loses and find someone else that can do the job.

Seasonal people are hired knowing from the start that they will be working on a as needed basis.
Apparently this guy's supervisor wanted him to stack rollers with packages 3 high. That is not what is supposed to be done (at least, that is not the case in the building where I work). It sounds like this supervisor wanted someone who was willing to work unsafely and against the methods so that his numbers could look good. That is not an excuse for firing anyone, seasonal or not.

The supervisor also threw the "forever bags" or the grey bags used to hold small boxes. He picked them up and threw them clear to the end of the semi. He told me to do this as well. He would often let boxes fall, allowing them to get dinged up. He told me it was unsafe to get boxes from uptop (even though I'm 6foot2.) Instead he would just push boxes and let them fall .

DorkHead

Honestly, tell us what you expected. When I was in the unload 28 yrs ago, I was told they need a flow of 1200 pkgs per hour. Size or weight did not matter. I got through it by convincing myself I was getting paid to work out.

barnyard

KTM rider
I work in a smaller outstate center. When I was hired, I was told to unload a trailer (short trailer) in 45 minutes. Using rollers on stands.

Random_Facts

No wonder they can't get anyone to stay at UPS, not to mention the low pay and no benefits for a year for these new hires. Plus getting yelled at by supervisors all the time. When they can't do any better themselves. Just do your best, we aren't superman after all. Don't hurt yourself either, believe me it's not worth it. You're probably better off without it at the moment though to the original (OP). Other places are hiring, that don't require you to work full throttle. Wish you luck though, keep your spirits high! :D.

OptimusPrime

Sup is a dick. Period. Obviously trying to make a name for himself with max output, with minimal workers. Ish doesn't fly here. Building is too big. We just throw bodies at the work.

Justaname

The supervisor also threw the "forever bags" or the grey bags used to hold small boxes. He picked them up and threw them clear to the end of the semi. He told me to do this as well. He would often let boxes fall, allowing them to get dinged up. He told me it was unsafe to get boxes from uptop (even though I'm 6foot2.) Instead he would just push boxes and let them fall .
Your sup, from what you've posted, is a complete maroon. I hope you didn't follow his instructions in damaging packages. Sure packages fall on accident at times, but they have load stands to get boxes from the top. Sorry to hear about you having to deal with a supervisor who is a disgrace to ups.

UPSGUY72

I work in a smaller outstate center. When I was hired, I was told to unload a trailer (short trailer) in 45 minutes. Using rollers on stands.

When I started in the preload I was 3 rollers into a long box and my PT SUP keep yelling push, push, push so I did exactly what he said I starting pushing and push all three roller full of packages down the chute and on to floor. Then he told me to go home. I didn't say a word I pick up my coat and radio and left. When I came in the next day the FT SUP / dispatch manger told me you got paid for the whole day yesterday junior was wrong. HE never yelled push to me again when I was in a trailer.

stoni24

It's all in how bad u want it. 4 years ago (as a seasonal) I wanted it really bad so I unloaded like crazy or preloaded 5 cars...... Whatever. And today I grossed $320 covering our downtown route. : )

Inthegame

Apparently this guy's supervisor wanted him to stack rollers with packages 3 high. That is not what is supposed to be done (at least, that is not the case in the building where I work). It sounds like this supervisor wanted someone who was willing to work unsafely and against the methods so that his numbers could look good. That is not an excuse for firing anyone, seasonal or not.
You really need to run for steward!