Worst job ever. National layoff???

Buck Fifty

I was hired on at UPS as a pre-loader for peak season.

My 1st interview was good and the guy said I could be on as soon as 1-2 weeks.

Then a week later I had a 2nd, and they said 1-2 weeks.

Then I had a THIRD interview, where they said it might not be after thxgiving.

So I got a call 2 days later for orientation.

After that, I was called at 4:48 am, 2 people called in sick and they needed me. So I came out.

The super, the entire time, said "hurry up", "move faster". I was going 90 miles an hour. Boxes were a blur and I was dripping sweat.

So at 8:30, I went home.

I was called yet again, at the same time. So I got dressed like a fireman and sped out there.

The super had the nuts to call my cell phone and say "where you at? Come on, hurry!" Ya, like I'm going to break the law to get there 3 mins early.

So I get there and start unloading again.

He told me "you gotta keep the rollers full at all times". Well he wanted to stack the rollers 3 boxes deep.

Come to find out your not supposed to do that. No wonder I couldn't keep up. He wanted me to do 3x as much work!

Come break time, he pulls me off to the side "listen, your not moving fast enough, if you don't pick up the pace, your being let go".

He also said "You been here 2 days, I shouldn't have to hold your hand."
So after break was over I started up again, and gave it my all, I was lifting boxes over 70 pounds, just so I wouldn't slow down.

After the shift, he pulled me off again "sorry, but your just not a good fit for us".

I have a friend who knows two people who worked for UPS in different states. They both were fired today for not being fast. One was told:

"Since you were let go for not meeting goals, you cannot work for UPS anywhere anymore"

Is UPS doing a national lay-off? 3 people let go in one day??

I think it was utter bull**** I got fired. I was expected to know everything in 2 days.

Sounds to me like the only thing hurt is your feelings. Sounds like you could have been hurt working the way the Supervisor wanted you to. Did you at least get to tell him to **** Off before you left ?

DS

Fenderbender

Is UPS doing a national lay-off? 3 people let go in one day?

I think it was utter bull**** I got fired. I was expected to know everything in 2 days.

You are better off.I'm a driver.
Nowadays ups is run from the top down.
Find a job where you will be respected and treated fairly.
Where I am the union is a facade.We are treated like crap,
and tortured with relentless messages about
having no late air,staying under 9.5,or staying under 12 hours.
I hate it.The only thing that makes it all worthwhile is that $1000 plus
paycheck every week.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's all in how bad u want it. 4 years ago (as a seasonal) I wanted it really bad so I unloaded like crazy or preloaded 5 cars...... Whatever. And today I grossed $320 covering our downtown route. : )

This sup sounds a little over the top but I agree when I got hired I was going to do what it took to make it. No excuses no anything just kept going as fast as I could and this was after working ten hours at an auto parts plant.

Re-Raise

This sup sounds a little over the top but I agree when I got hired I was going to do what it took to make it. No excuses no anything just kept going as fast as I could and this was after working ten hours at an auto parts plant.

I interviewed for the part-time job while I was in college with about 50 other people waiting. They asked me why they should hire me instead of one of the other people here for the job. I told them because I would outwork anyone else out there, and I meant it.

They hired me and I am with UPS 27 years later. To the original poster, you can keep believing that it is a nationwide layoff thing or you can accept the fact that you just weren't good enough.

brown_trousers

The kid was unloading trailers it isn't hard you pick up a package and put it on the rollers or extendo and repeat as fast and safely as possible. I have been there and done that it isn't hard it just constant work. There isn't a break in period there nothing to learn your either got the concept after 30 seconds or your don't after 2 days if your still don't get it your never will and it's time for UPS to cut it's loses and find someone else that can do the job.

Seasonal people are hired knowing from the start that they will be working on a as needed basis.

You're absolutely right! Work at UPS isn't a good fit for everyone. The rude supervisor in this case is actually doing the OP a favor by showing him what the work, and attitude, at UPS is like. Better to discover this sooner than later!

Rallyguy

I interviewed for the part-time job while I was in college with about 50 other people waiting. They asked me why they should hire me instead of one of the other people here for the job. I told them because I would outwork anyone else out there, and I meant it.

They hired me and I am with UPS 27 years later. To the original poster, you can keep believing that it is a nationwide layoff thing or you can accept the fact that you just weren't good enough.

Awesome Post!

sealbasher

You are better off.I'm a driver.
Nowadays ups is run from the top down.
Find a job where you will be respected and treated fairly.
Where I am the union is a facade.We are treated like crap,
and tortured with relentless messages about
having no late air,staying under 9.5,or staying under 12 hours.
I hate it.The only thing that makes it all worthwhile is that $1000 plus
paycheck every week.

i sure dont miss it

BLACKBALLED

First off! Being hired seasonal is the worst time for anyone to work at UPS, you may be lucky enough to impress your sup and they may request you come back in January if they are short anyone, what I based it off was those that tried the hardest and showed a good work ethic were who I would request back in January, UPS is not for everyone but I would always tell any new hire to give it a couple of weeks for their body to adjust to the work and environment and by then they should be able to handle it well, for most it worked and they stayed for others they were better off working where the demand is not so rigorous.

packageguy

I haven't been here long enough to really know, but I'm assuming that's just the way seasonals get treated here. We got a week training with a sup, these new guys they're bringing in get one day if that and then they're thrown in the meat grinder alone. No wonder they can't keep anyone.

I read your last post about union robbing the poor, Now here it seems like you have alot to say about teamsters one day when you get a chance to go driving, you will know what making money is all about. Nothing is easy here. But wake up one day with a pension and benefits and good pay. wake up buddy..

ocnewguy

I read your last post about union robbing the poor, Now here it seems like you have alot to say about teamsters one day when you get a chance to go driving, you will know what making money is all about. Nothing is easy here. But wake up one day with a pension and benefits and good pay. wake up buddy..

I value what the teamsters do as an hourly employee should. I'm the only newer p/ter i know that actually attends meetings. All I did was point out something they do, and have been doing for a long time which happens to be unethical and wrong. That's all.

A

anonymous6

reapply. don't tell them you already worked there. they might hire you again and there is a slight and I mean slight chance you'll have a human stupervisor.