Worst part of contract

filthpig

I am a31 yr feeder driver. Will Teamsters still have a ball and chain on me after I retire, or will I be able to drive a truck if I want to and when I want to? I can't find any language on this.
This is a big concern for me as well. There are a great many things we as teamsters will not be able to do and still receive our pensions. Among them: work in a warehouse in any position, work in the grocery business, deliver anything.

local373

This is a big concern for me as well. There are a great many things we as teamsters will not be able to do and still receive our pensions. Among them: work in a warehouse in any position, work in the grocery business, deliver anything.
filthpig and upsinkansas,

You will be able to work anywhere, other than UPS or the Teamsters and still draw your pension. This was specifically covered in the Teamster contract meeting we had 8 hours ago. As long as you retire in January 2008 or later and this contract is ratified. If you retire in 2007, you will fall under CS requirements, that is if you are in said pension fund affected by the contract withdrawl proposal.

tunemixer

So are you saying that if I retire in July 2009 and I want to go to work for Fedex or be a shipping and receiving clerk at Costco I can without having to contact the union? As it stands now my understanding is I could work up to 49 hrs per month doing pretty much anything within my local (597 ). If I was to move out of my local region say to the South I could work as many hours as I want. Is that all changed now?

So are you saying that if I retire in July 2009 and I want to go to work for Fedex or be a shipping and receiving clerk at Costco I can without having to contact the union? As it stands now my understanding is I could work up to 49 hrs per month doing pretty much anything within my local (597 ). If I was to move out of my local region say to the South I could work as many hours as I want. Is that all changed now?

They said in the video that under the new plan, the only restriction is that you can't be re-employed by UPS or a UPS subsidiary while receiving your pension.

B

BigBrownBlues

They said in the video that under the new plan, the only restriction is that you can't be re-employed by UPS or a UPS subsidiary while receiving your pension.

Is that true for the CS portion that you will receive after 65 as well? Or would you have to abide by the stricter CS rules when you start getting a CS check?

AznDiablo

How can you keep the starting wage at $8.50 till 2013 when californias state minimum wage is going to be $8.00 in january of 2008. No ones going to want to work for UPS for sure now.

Damok

I believe you have no work restrictions at age 65 with Central States.

My understanding from Central States during the last contract when representatives came to our hall to talk was that they have discretion over what you can and cannot due with regard to working when you retire regardless of age. When pressed they said they would take each case on its merits but the underlying "rule" was they had final say.

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
Raises less than inflation. I'm not here because I bleed brown, I am here for the pay. Forget the pension give me that money I will use it wiser than the company or central states.
Well put, They've already messed the Central States pension up on several Historical occasions (i.e. Las Vegas). Give me the money in pay raises, I will invest for my own retirement.

Damok

... I will invest for my own retirement.

Now THIS I can sink my teeth into. I don't want the Company or the Union in charge of my pension money or any retirement money. I'm pretty sure I can do a better job :) It won't happen just like we'll never be able to invest our own SS money but a guy can dream :D

pkgdriver

Now THIS I can sink my teeth into. I don't want the Company or the Union in charge of my pension money or any retirement money. I'm pretty sure I can do a better job :) It won't happen just like we'll never be able to invest our own SS money but a guy can dream :D

Agreed!!!!