Worst Supervisor or manager you've ever had...

hdkappler

:happy2:i was with brown 30 yrs.i only had one (1)center manager that i didn't like.in all the 30years.he was hateful.had it in for all drivers.never filed a grevance in 30yrs.the fact i was there 30yrs.had one workman's comp claim.he had it in for me.won't say his name,but intials are G.V.was the last c.m.after my last day i never saw him again.i won't be at his funeral i don't think any driver will.i have never worked for anyone that i disliked except.for him.i'am not the type of person who hates anyone.(just him)the way he treated me.c.m. at peoria,il.2001-2004.:devil3:

tourists24

My worst sup ever was a center manager named Barry.If you are reading this Barry,I still hate you and would probobly go out of my way to ruin your day if we ever cross paths again :) :biting:
He was a young guy that loved playing god.
After I got my job back when he fired me,one morning he says,
good morning bud...
I will not be at his funeral when he disregards the safe boating message.
why dont you tell us how you really feel DS...

Ms.PacMan

Not the most incompetent (that would be a long list and they've all been demoted) but the one I hated with a vengeance was a preload supe who thought I needed to forever prove myself. He would have the preloader wrap up the truck except the overweights, then send him home and leave all the overweights behind the car for me to load. He would grin and taunt me that I couldn't lift them. He would do lots of things to mess with me.

I started burning him with under 8's every chance I got. I would do all sorts of creative things to get my stop count down and bring my miles way down doing a lot of unsafe things. I would hiss at him - are you sure you dispatched me enough work? The under 8's made him back off.

My honest point of view of the union vs. mgmt thing is that there is no such thing. To me it's just a guy thing. There is too much testosterone at UPS and everything is a pissing match.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Not the most incompetent (that would be a long list and they've all been demoted) but the one I hated with a vengeance was a preload supe who thought I needed to forever prove myself. He would have the preloader wrap up the truck except the overweights, then send him home and leave all the overweights behind the car for me to load. He would grin and taunt me that I couldn't lift them. He would do lots of things to mess with me.

I started burning him with under 8's every chance I got. I would do all sorts of creative things to get my stop count down and bring my miles way down doing a lot of unsafe things. I would hiss at him - are you sure you dispatched me enough work? The under 8's made him back off.

My honest point of view of the union vs. mgmt thing is that there is no such thing. To me it's just a guy thing. There is too much testosterone at UPS and everything is a pissing match.

I think you are on to something there. I have been told by some low and mid level mgmt that there is a lot of throat cutting that goes on behind the scenes, lots of politics involved in promotions etc. And it's obvious that there are always personality issues amongst the hourlies, love/hate union stuff. There is less camaraderie than when I started, when we loaded our own routes and talked our way through things. Now we just come in hear the pcm and stew about stuff that bugs us, until we uncork at someone.

over9five

Staff member
I get along with everyone. I go to work every day, and I don't let anyone upset my Zen.
I can't think of any particularly bad sups or managers, but I do think my last two center teams (Feeder now, and my last Package ctr) have been the best.

It is what it is. I'm only there to deliver cardboard.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Most of my managers and supervisors were good and decent people. They used to tell us about the 80/20 concept where 80% of the problems were caused by 20% of the people.

One manager was brutally honest when he included management in that scenario too.

Like over9five said, " It is what it is. I'm only there to deliver cardboard."

NHDRVR

The bad ones aren't worth my effort to remember. We currently have an on-road on Belt1 (I hope he reads this) in a Southern NH center who bleeds brown. The following story is absolutely true...

2 peaks ago, about 1 week before Xmas if I remember correctly, his brother-in-law died, DIED, in his house. (I knew him from a route I used to cover and he was a very nice guy, I felt horrible) He passed after a long battle with cancer and this supervisor left his wife that morning, she just lost her brother for christ sakes, to come in the building to handle the cardboard.

Really?? Seriously?? What type of person reasons that boxes are more important than family at a time like that (SCREW PEAK) and is this a symptom of his personality or the 'programming' he received in management training?

Just to be clear, he has been an on-road forever and is not now, or ever, mentioned as a center manager candidate.

I will never, ever, NEVER have any respect for this person. Your actions have completely negated any positive action you will ever take in our center, not that you have any...

SKAGITDRIVER

In a previous thread I said and idiots are called supervisors. I will say I have worked with some very good supes over the last 24 years. It just seems the good ones are getting to be few and far between and the younger ones that have something on the ball are looking to get out

overallowed

Most of the good supervisors were a long time ago. The ones we get now are young enough to be my children, and have no problem with stepping on a body to advance themselves. I try to avoid all unnecessary contact/conversation. I just deliver the cardboard, try to stay off the radar, and go home.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We had this DM a few years back, I don't think she was a bad person, but she ran our building into the ground. Peak was the worst, understaffed, not enough trucks, preload going down so late that many mornings we didn't leave til 10:00. Total chaos. She got canned right after that fiasco, demoted back down to center manager and now no longer with the company. I've had a few center manager's and on-car's that I could have done without, but at the end of the day they can only do so much damage as long as you do your job. That experience brought home to me that if someone is screwing up at the division level, everybody suffers.

NHDRVR

We had this DM a few years back, I don't think she was a bad person, but she ran our building into the ground. Peak was the worst, understaffed, not enough trucks, preload going down so late that many mornings we didn't leave til 10:00. Total chaos. She got canned right after that fiasco, demoted back down to center manager and now no longer with the company. I've had a few center manager's and on-car's that I could have done without, but at the end of the day they can only do so much damage as long as you do your job. That experience brought home to me that if someone is screwing up at the division level, everybody suffers.

You hit the road at 10??

Completely unacceptable...

She deserved to be canned.

M

Mike23

My worst sup ever was a center manager named Barry.If you are reading this Barry,I still hate you and would probobly go out of my way to ruin your day if we ever cross paths again :) :biting:
He was a young guy that loved playing god.
After I got my job back when he fired me,one morning he says,
good morning bud...
I will not be at his funeral when he disregards the safe boating message.

Not even to pee on his grave?! :surprised:

M

Mike23

The bad ones aren't worth my effort to remember. We currently have an on-road on Belt1 (I hope he reads this) in a Southern NH center who bleeds brown. The following story is absolutely true...

2 peaks ago, about 1 week before Xmas if I remember correctly, his brother-in-law died, DIED, in his house. (I knew him from a route I used to cover and he was a very nice guy, I felt horrible) He passed after a long battle with cancer and this supervisor left his wife that morning, she just lost her brother for christ sakes, to come in the building to handle the cardboard.

Really?? Seriously?? What type of person reasons that boxes are more important than family at a time like that (SCREW PEAK) and is this a symptom of his personality or the 'programming' he received in management training?

Just to be clear, he has been an on-road forever and is not now, or ever, mentioned as a center manager candidate.

I will never, ever, NEVER have any respect for this person. Your actions have completely negated any positive action you will ever take in our center, not that you have any...

Keep in mind there maybe another side to this story. It could be he called HIS supe and requested time off. It could be HIS supe said, 'sorry, it's peak, too bad, so sad, you need to lead by example, blah blah blah, if you don't your career will be down the tubes'.

I've found, in my VERY limited experience, it's not just drivers or preloaders that get hosed by the higher ups. Honestly, the whole thought of UPS and it's lack of heart makes me a little noxious. Excuse me while I go throw up... :sick:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I'm so glad I'm retired and not putting up with ANY of them anymore. AND I'm so glad that the worst supervisor I had in 22 years was fired (resigned?) FINALLY. He was dishonest and a complete jerk. I had been waiting and waiting to hear he was gone.

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator
I prefer binary:
01101000 01110101 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110010 01100001 01110100 01101000

That's not a bad sup's name btw.