Worth becoming a Part Time Supe?

pkgdog

I spent 3 years as a part time preload sup. Basically you have all the drivers yelling at you because of dispatch issues. You have preloaders yelling at you because this guy has too much work, or that one has too much work (which changes day to day based on how the volume falls). You have onroad sups yelling at you about dispatch and misloads and every other possible issue. You have the center manager on your back for not making your numbers. You're on a island by yourself as a preload supervisor, most thankless job in the company. I actually looked forward to going out and delivering a route in a different town completely blind each peak, because it was less stress than preload...even with 200 stops on streets i didn't even know.

A night supervisor position....take that. You can do that job eyes closed. No stress. Much better gig.

drewed

Shankman
I would have said yes if the economy wasnt this bad, it can be a good exp. SO at this point its a NO....like everyone else is said buildings go through pt sups like water on my shift acroos the operations we have 14 pt sups in the 2 years ive been suping we've gone through atleast twice that and there are 5 of us that have been there atleast 2 years

coolerguy

Thanks for everyone's reply's. As of which sort I work, its night sort.

Liked I mentioned before, it is my choice, but from the posts I've read on here will help me make a decision, thanks again.

W

westsideworma

If you have the choice do NOT do preload supe. As others have said, the hub sorts (especially night) are more laid back. The preload is brutal sometimes. I'm used to it, I don't really regret it other than the fact I miss loading. My drivers weren't happy when they saw I was a supe. Though since I trained a decent replacement they've since become ok with the idea haha.

For some reason the preload shift seems to be held to a higher standard than the others, we also get the least amount of recognition in return (management and hourly alike).

This is my second year as a PT Supe (4+ yrs @ UPS overall) and while the stupid ideas that you know won't work the second you hear them are still abound, the job never changes. Numbers numbers numbers....it's all you'll hear, its all they want (most of them). They don't care if your father died or your dog ran away, get results or else. The fact that the one barking the order could do little to no better than you means nothing. This includes mechanical failure, where our sort aisle supes get yelled at for out of syncs because the printers don't go fast enough (this is my personal favorite) to keep up with rate of flow our manager dictates. The equipment is simply not capable of meeting this number, yet the supe gets in trouble anyway...I'm dead serious you couldn't make this crap up.

Someone also said it depends on your FT supe. This I also agree with and I am in decent shape because I get along with mine very well, but your mileage may vary.

Do I regret it? no not really, but there are times I wish I still loaded. If you decide to go for it... Grow thick skin, be fair but firm and remember those people humping packages for you AREN'T numbers, but human beings doing the job you did just a short time ago. That last part brings me to probably the most important thing..above all else remember where you came from, even if those above you don't.

Top Fuel Friday

Next Day Air
It just depends on what you want to do with your time at UPS. The main reason I became a P/T sup was to improve my resume. Over the years (7 with UPS) I've got to see a lot of cool stuff, and picked up good experience on the way. To me it was worth it, I'm a full time student (15 hours a semester) so not having to sling boxes and be exhausted at the end of the sort helps me accomplish my goals at school easier.

In the end just take a step back, look at what the P/T sups in your area are doing and see if you would enjoy doing that. Don't do it for the money, "power" (notice the parenthesis), or because you think it's easier than what you do now. We put up with a lot of crap from both ends, so you have to have a high tolerance for stress and be apt to problem solving. Be prepared to do what friend/T sups and managers do at a fraction of the pay.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Well my P/T sup works really hard with us. I know it says in the contract that management can't take our work but he really has to help us in the preload because we have the most insane amounts come down our belt.

He's constantly having to deal with bulk issues, preloaders that leave early for another job, and preloaders not showing up for work. So if you think as a P/T sup you can just sit back and supervise while others load you need to take a look at my belt. We do a good job, but it's a lot of work for union and p/t management.

W

westsideworma

Well my P/T sup works really hard with us. I know it says in the contract that management can't take our work but he really has to help us in the preload because we have the most insane amounts come down our belt.

He's constantly having to deal with bulk issues, preloaders that leave early for another job, and preloaders not showing up for work. So if you think as a P/T sup you can just sit back and supervise while others load you need to take a look at my belt. We do a good job, but it's a lot of work for union and p/t management.

a lot of supes in my building discovered that soon after taking the job. I knew better, I'd actually worked here a few years before becoming a supe.

TheAssasin

If you enjoy being brow beat, and on call 24/7 and expected to work however long they want without paying you extra then you are right for UPS management. I regretted being a PT sup within 6 months. I also regretted being a full time sup almost right away. Why did I go full time? I figured I was working full time hours anyway why not get paid. I was getting yelled at and told I suck so why not get paid more. Little did I know the BS got so much worse once you became full time.

well i figure its worth it.. i hear very little from upper management as our area is very efficient, so we are kept on a very loose leash . Make sure we wrap , keep misloads to a min. and do all necessary safety work needed. Thats basically it in a nutshell here with the occasional loading when there are an extreme amount of people who fail to show up. I dont regret it at all. It's a challenge I feel I took and am succeeddding very well at. Plus the pay in my area is awesome.:happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
well i figure its worth it.. i hear very little from upper management as our area is very efficient, so we are kept on a very loose leash . Make sure we wrap , keep misloads to a min. and do all necessary safety work needed. Thats basically it in a nutshell here with the occasional loading when there are an extreme amount of people who fail to show up. I dont regret it at all. It's a challenge I feel I took and am succeeddding very well at. Plus the pay in my area is awesome.:happy-very:

Are you sure your not just some higher up looking to recruit more for your side. You sure paint a rosey picture:wink2:

browniehound

NO NO NO

Dead end job. No union protection. No rights.

Just look at how the managers just had their 401k and pay raises nixed.

That's not a reason he should consider in not taking the job. Every company in America is freezing salaries and 401k matches. We are living in extraordinary times if you haven't noticed already.

I would advise against it because you need to gain experience as a driver before you can move up the ranks of management. I think your best opportunity to gain driving experience would be to stay in the union. Then you can put your letter in.

If you go the PT sup. route you may never get a chance to drive and will have no chance at FT management. However, as stated earlier, the decision is yours.

City Driver

a lot of supes in my building discovered that soon after taking the job. I knew better, I'd actually worked here a few years before becoming a supe.

if a sup touches any of our freight here a grievance is filed immediately by a dockworker

kinda petty if u ask me.....the dock sup is a real hard worker and when the dockworkers get tire loads or alot of loose cartons he use to like to help them/us but people kept filing so now he wont touch freight

i feel bad for the guy almost, but it IS in the contract