Would like to come finish my time with UPS.

OptimusPrime

Good old Dave Ramsey. Eat saw dust and live in a cardboard box for 35 years, so when you are old and haggard, you can then enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good old Dave Ramsey. Eat saw dust and live in a cardboard box for 35 years, so when you are old and haggard, you can then enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Say what you will but with his help I erased $48K of personal debt in 3 years. I have been debt free (other than my mortgage) for almost 2 years and have no intention of going back down that road ever again.

moreluck

golden ticket member
People who can't control the budget need a book! My daughter was raving to me about some woman who writes the same kind of stuff. She was rattling off to me the same stuff I've been telling her for 20 years.

OptimusPrime

Say what you will but with his help I erased $48K of personal debt in 3 years. I have been debt free (other than my mortgage) for almost 2 years and have no intention of going back down that road ever again.

I assume you didn't pay out 16k a year, but used some sort of bail out program?

U

uber

Not so much questions I guess but more direction is what I need. With my experience and back round is there one type of position I should focus on or should I take whatever I can to get in. Example,there is a part time air walker position open in Ontario,CA. Would someone be able to move into package cars from a job like an air walker. Should I look at something seasonal with hopes of going part or full time? Would I be better off going the loader to package car route (if it still works that way) or concentrating on the freight side.

There are some dedicated and road driver positions out here but Im not sure what those positions involve or even if UPS freight is union or not. My goal some where down the line would be full time driving something. Sorry if I wasnt clearer Im just not real sure how to proceed. Several years ago I thought of moving over to UPS,working at PDX as a loader then moving into package,at the time I was making 80k hauling groceries and could not take the hit financially.

Also I have not noticed any adds for seasonal tractor trailer drivers,they used to start gearing up for peak about this time of the year. Not sure if they are cutting back on the peak season hiring or what.

I'm in local 162. If you're looking to get into package car driving, its about a 6+ year wait.

I'm in local 162. If you're looking to get into package car driving, its about a 6+ year wait.

Just about the same amount of time it takes to get comfortable over on the grocery side of 162. You can start picking up bids after about three years but most of those are mid week off. Some are hostling bids but your kept at 40 hours. Whats top scale for you package guys and how much 1.5 are you able to grab. When I left the grocery job we were at 23.59 and .501 for mileage.

U

uber

Just about the same amount of time it takes to get comfortable over on the grocery side of 162. You can start picking up bids after about three years but most of those are mid week off. Some are hostling bids but your kept at 40 hours. Whats top scale for you package guys and how much 1.5 are you able to grab. When I left the grocery job we were at 23.59 and .501 for mileage.

Top scale is around $32. Most drivers averaging around 10 hrs OT a week.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You're in NY, I'm in Portland I have a better handle on how things are going around here. My buddy is a 4 year driver and gets ATLEAST 2 hours of OT a day.
He's in the Bubble of Goodness, I am in NY. At my center, the average is 10 hours, also. Sadly, he and I are in the same local. :(