Would someone who works at UPS over 10+ yeats and hates it..

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The_Internet_is_Serious_Business.jpg
Thankfully we don't take advice from strangers on the Internet.

JL 0513

So after all taxes (say 40%), then you take another 20% away for retirement. Are you really going to live on 40% during your prime years of life? Half of that is going to your mortgage leaving you 20% for EVERYTHING else. Sounds fun. But at least you'll be wealthy when you're dead.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
So after all taxes (say 40%), then you take another 20% away for retirement. Are you really going to live on 40% during your prime years of life? Half of that is going to your mortgage leaving you 20% for EVERYTHING else. Sounds fun. But at least you'll be wealthy when you're dead.

If you live smart, you don't spend your later years working or trying to be healthy because you lived it up in your "prime years".

If you're good with money and finances, you won't even miss the 20%.

Plus it lowers your tax obligations.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's a pretty high tax rate.

Even after taxes and a 20% Roth 401k contribution I'm usually bringing home $900-$1000 a week if I work every day.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It's about discipline and living below your means. I did not start my 401k until I was nearly 40 and by the time I had retired it was over 500k. If I had started at 25 it would be close to 2 mil.

we are doing OK with that . I still advised young employees to max out their 401k as soon as possible. many, many families live on half or less than we make and do OK. the trouble with most UPS drivers is that they spend what they make thinking that the money will always be there.

Before starting at UPS fulltime in the early nineties my best year was 38 k. after that I made over 60k my first full year and then it went up every year after that. for the first 4-5 years we lived on our regular budget as if I was making 40-45k and we were able very easily to save a down payment on our house and make other major purchases.

I always maxed out the 401k because we were disciplined on living on a budget that was much less than we earned and of course because we got such a late start. We did not starve ourselves or live without.

Maybe having to live on a lot less money for a lot of years helped us appreciate this job much more and we were more careful with money. This discipline helped me retire probably 5 years early with a very nice nest egg.

Some drivers listened . A couple have thanked us for the advice. Some drivers will not listen no matter what.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Old road dog and Nancy should start a financial advice radio talk show

Put Dave Ramsay out of business

I'm just trying to figure out how she did 30 + years at ups and started in the early nineties? That would be 25 years or so. Or how she amassed 500k in a 401k at a fraction of that time as well.

And apparently Dave thinks if you have kids you can't save any money.

Maybe his caused that but not everyone handles it his way

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You are just beginning to figure out that kids are expensive.

Wait until she is in school.

20% with kids is hard to do.
Your son has kids?

That's why we didn't have kids at 22. Didn't want to be digging out of a Hole our entire life's. Plus our raises should come close to covering the cost of kids.