would they discrimate...

wallyt

Against people who look small and thin? Hiring for a packager handler. Something that was of particular concern to me when I interviewed was the fact that I'm not a big person, and pretty thin looking, might not look like I am capable of lifting 70lbs, though I know for fact that I can. Where you work, are there people who either small or very thin?

discriminate, i mean. sorry about that.

Last edited:

filthpig

Against people who look small and thin? Hiring for a packager handler. Something that was of particular concern to me when I interviewed was the fact that I'm not a big person, and pretty thin looking, might not look like I am capable of lifting 70lbs, though I know for fact that I can. Where you work, are there people who either small or very thin?

discriminate, i mean. sorry about that.
No. In my experience, it's the "slighter" folks who appear better at this job than the bigguns.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hang in there kid, i watched two groups of newbies getting paraded through my building last nite for about 40 kids. Go back to the hr office, it will show that you are very interested.

JustTired

free at last.......
That's 'cause the Opera companies hired 'em all before UPS had a chance!

To expand on that (no pun intended)...... when you do see her and she's warming up her vocal cords, time to look for another job! A lot of companies must be hiring them lately. I think that bank (Indymac) had just hired one.

deathracer

no they dont discriminate , im pretty small my self and still got the job, i have seen smaller ppl then me and thinner that have worked at UPS. all you have to do is get hired at the interview. i have seen some tall people in there but they are drivers. but if you are small then just try and exercise couple times a weeks cause its not fun if you cant lift even a 35lbs package let a lone trying to load a bulk cart(filled with packages that weigh over 70lbs) and taking it by your self walking to the preload.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Not hiring someone for a physically demanding job because they do not appear qualified to do the physically demanding job is not descrimination.

It is called a qualification.

Otherwise, anyone walking into a job interview would have the job. By its' very nature, a job interview is discrimination on one level or another.

drewed

Shankman
Not hiring someone for a physically demanding job because they do not appear qualified to do the physically demanding job is not descrimination.

Otherwise, anyone walking into a job interview would have the job. By its' very nature, a job interview is discrimination on one level or another.

exactly, but we can do test that qualification for it (its never done at the interview) but the first day an employee they should be observed and if there consistently strugglling with the 50-60 lbs boxes (not overly large akward ones) they should be shown the door; rarely does that happen as well

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wikipedia defines discrimination as follows:

In general, discrimination, in a non-legal sense, is the discernment of qualities and recognition of the differences between things. We all have the power of discrimination, which is essential for us to be able to make decisions and judgements about things.

BBAG is 100% correct. An effective job interview does indeed incorporate discrimination as part of the decision process. The interview process itself is (or should be) tailored toward the position(s) being filled, which (I would hope) is more comprehensive than simply checking for a pulse and the fog on a mirror test. Applicants must be able to meet the physical qualifications necessary for the job. The relatively low starting wage (P/T) does limit the applicant pool but should not lower the standard for hire.

wallyt

Wikipedia defines discrimination as follows:

In general, discrimination, in a non-legal sense, is the discernment of qualities and recognition of the differences between things. We all have the power of discrimination, which is essential for us to be able to make decisions and judgements about things.

BBAG is 100% correct. An effective job interview does indeed incorporate discrimination as part of the decision process. The interview process itself is (or should be) tailored toward the position(s) being filled, which (I would hope) is more comprehensive than simply checking for a pulse and the fog on a mirror test. Applicants must be able to meet the physical qualifications necessary for the job. The relatively low starting wage (P/T) does limit the applicant pool but should not lower the standard for hire.

I agree with that, however since they don't test me, I think it would be unfair to simply judge that I can't do it based on how I look. I'd be fine if they had a 70 pound box in there and told me to lift it.

broncobros1

I agree with that, however since they don't test me, I think it would be unfair to simply judge that I can't do it based on how I look. I'd be fine if they had a 70 pound box in there and told me to lift it.

It kinda sounds like you are just looking for a lawsuit...kinda of like the deaf employees getting DQ'd for driving, (even though it is a law that a driver must be able to hear sirens and such!) Say that I am a jerk, but there are plenty of people out there looking to sue Brown for some easy, quick cash. I can see my avatar getting redder as I type!:happy-very: