Would you consider this to be corporal punishment?

Would you consider this to be corporal punishment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
ah, fond memories of my youth.
spare the rod & spoil the child.
Classic example of why these OWS camps thrive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It was ironic that my father, who hated sports, chose the blade of a hockey goalie's stick to discipline us; now if you look the wrong way at your kids someone calls child protective services.

over9five

Staff member
The video did not show someone disciplining a child. It showed a creep who was enjoying belting the hell out of his little girl.

And then Mom chimes in with "Take it like a woman", which leads me to believe she gets that same belt when she's "bad" too.

Actually, I would call this over the top discipline that should not occur. But there is more to this story than just this video shows. I am in no way saying that the whole episode is justified, it is not. One thing, does anyone see a chance that this video was set up by the daughter and her refusal to submit to what could have been a mild punishment created the harsher actions of the Dad?

When the vid starts, the light is turned off as Dad leaves the room. It sounds to me that her told her to leave the light off and as soon as he leaves she turns it right back on and waits for him to return. Then she refuses to cooperate knowing this will outrage the Dad. By the conversation she has repeatedly disobeyed the rules and has been in trouble a lot. Again, not saying this whole ordeal is right but some of the responsibility has to fail on the daughter, she (at the time the video was made) is 15 years old, not 5. I know at 15 I knew what made my Dad really mad and did my best not do those things.

This is a prime example of why we shouldn't make judgements based on one side of the story.

I was taught, the hard way?, by my dad that if something is so major that you need to paddle you kid you do it on their butt with your hand. No belt, no stick,etc.
In 17 years my oldest has been swatted twice, my 10 year old once. Every other discipline issue has been corrected with groundings or chores.
The judge above needs a go a round with someone who`d hand him a real ass beating.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Is this guy really a judge? I think his judge days are through. Any lawyer would demand that he recuse himself from any case involving violence, or children, or a host of other things.

He's all done.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm not in favor of corporal punishment, but I understand the idea behind it and accept that it might be a reasonable choice under some circumstances. This guy didn't do anything like that. He went into a rage and used a weapon to inflict pain.

I read somewhere that he's a family law judge that makes rulings on child abuse cases... I hope he loses his job over this.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is this guy really a judge? I think his judge days are through. Any lawyer would demand that he recuse himself from any case involving violence, or children, or a host of other things.

He's all done.

Probably run for Governor and then for the President.

brett636

What the dad did was over the top, but that girl was not a perfect angel either. As old Paul Harvey would say, now here is the rest of the story.

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/nov/03/judge-william-adams-speaks-about-about-belt-lashin/

Part 2 of this. We`re all talking about watching a video and how we feel about it. Change it to a incident happening right in front of us, say at the mall,etc. Would you intervene?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Part 2 of this. We`re all talking about watching a video and how we feel about it. Change it to a incident happening right in front of us, say at the mall,etc. Would you intervene?
I butt in all the time!! I would intervene....unless a gun was involved, then I would turn, run and grab a phone.

I speak up all the time now.....no filter........and don't try to cut in line in the grocery store. I let people in all the time, but don't try to sneak in.

It isn't all bad.....I see people returning carts to the store and I thank them........especially when the little kids do it....it's positive re-enforcement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I butt in all the time!! I would intervene....unless a gun was involved, then I would turn, run and grab a phone.

I speak up all the time now.....no filter........and don't try to cut in line in the grocery store. I let people in all the time, but don't try to sneak in.

It isn't all bad.....I see people returning carts to the store and I thank them........especially when the little kids do it....it's positive re-enforcement.

I totally believe this.

It's like when your feet hit the floor each morning, you are out to take the world on ... and probably the devil!!

over9five

Staff member

I'd lose it. I'd kick his ass so bad, I'm sure I'd end up arrested.

But it would be a long time till he was able to swing a belt again.

bbsam

Staff member
Normally I'm not a violent person, but that doesn't mean I believe that violence is never justified. I am certain this girl did not deserve it and convinced the father has earned it.

OK, I'm confused by some of the votes on the poll. I voted YES, that this is corporal punishment because it fits the definition almost to the letter. On the other hand so does any kind of physical punishment. Some people can be disciplined successfully without the use of corporal punishment, some can't.