Would you do it again?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I would likely still do it. Although every year those percentages go down.

I would not recommend this job to anyone and on top of that I onlu know 1 person I would recommend for the job. This is why ups can't find anyone to be a driver. Very very few are willing to do it.
I helpd 2 friends get jobs at Brown over the years...both quit in less than a month. I no longer recommend anyone.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I wouldn't recommend the driver job to anyone, I have recommended several good hardworking people over my 28 year career but no one got hired. Don't know what they are looking for. If you started over its obvious you wouldn't know what your getting into, might be exciting at first with the pay and benefits but the proper old fashion training is gone and to make it you would rely on the senior drivers or wing it the best you can.

upsbeernut

Postal worker used to be a sweet job but now its almost like UPS.
Your right its close, they just got a new diad almost the same as ours made by the same company. I believe their routes have doubled and GPS has taken over. They can't scan anything unless they are actually at that stop.

upsbeernut

Back in the early 80s I lived on an island in sc.. I was an recreation director and assistant tennis pro . Gee, what in the hell happened?​

upsbeernut

No and no.

I'm still actively looking for a way out.
I was hoping for a driver buy out a couple of contracts ago . I would take $300000 cash and my current pension payment with full benefits subtracted from that. Bye yall

rorojo

When I started working here in 1976, it was like a whole different company. I used to be proud to tell acquaintances where I worked. When friends and family asked, I encouraged them to work here. Even tried to get my brother to come to work here. My son is a 10 year employee. Against my wishes. He applied here and didn't tell me. I would not wish this on anyone. The sad part is, this could be a great place to work. It's gone to hell in a handbasket. Sad.
This must have been your only job. I can yell you from experience that as bad as it can get here there are lots of jobs that are worse. I would definitely do it again and recommend this job to friends and family.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
With the direction the company is heading and the morale at an all time low, if there was a rewind button, would you do this job again under the current situation? Why or why not? Also, would you still recommend this job to someone knowing what you know now?
Yep & maybe.
I'm not here for morale. I'm not here for hugs and walks in the park. I'm here for the best benefits in the country and great money. I don't care what management tries. I'm a Teamster and know my rights. If they get out of line, I get them put them back in line.

rod

Retired 22 years
Postal worker.

No I wouldn't be that gung hoe. I would get a job like a friend of mine has. He works for the city parks department. He makes 32 bucks an hour with ALL holidays paid off plus enough paid vacation and sick days to only have to work about 4 days a week. He is always off for something. He also has excellent medical/dental/eye coverage. When he does work its spent driving around to our cities 6 parks and emptying a few trash cans. For many years all he did was drive the truck and the city had the sentenced to serve crew do the actual work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center manager was on car for an S&V ride last week and he brought up the ERI question "Would you recommend this job....?". We both agreed that the company has changed (on both sides and not for the better) and we both agreed that we would answer that question "no".

Packmule

Sad thing is this company can do so much better and it's future depends on it.
Not sure how I did it this long. Don't think I could do it again. Not the way they treat people these days.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My center manager was on car for an S&V ride last week and he brought up the ERI question "Would you recommend this job....?". We both agreed that the company has changed (on both sides and not for the better) and we both agreed that we would answer that question "no".
and then we both went shopping at the mall and held hands then went rollerblading? Just kiddin!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't live with regrets, I can only control the controllables. To answer your question would be like answering "Would you have parked there if you knew that car was going to hit you". For those unhappy currently, life is too short, make the best of your job unless it's intolerable, if so quit.