Would you do less work4 less pay?

Johney

I did the 22.3 for about two years. It's not worth the aggravation. They always screw up your pay, they always want you to deliver grounds, and getting the correct pay for providing that service is a pain in the ass. Which to me is unacceptable. I've heard the same old line, "Don't worry about it getting your correct pay , we'll take care of it. What's the big deal you're going to get your adjustment soon. Isn't this job easier than being a pkg car driver. Did this long enough, bid back to pkg driver. Might as well make top rate, than being a 22.3 and performing the same work as a driver and not getting compensated for it.
This is exactly why our 22.3 people WON'T deliver grounds at all.

OptimusPrime

I will say this. Not disrespect, but you guys aren't exactly helping out the new generation. Lot of high seniority drivers, if given the option, will bag off, and let some cover driver handle their route. Sure. Works for you. You get a day off. But it sends a message to Atlanta that you are grossly overpaid. Not saying you should be nipping at scraps to pay the bills, but it may set a president in future negotiations

Johney

I will say this. Not disrespect, but you guys aren't exactly helping out the new generation. Lot of high seniority drivers, if given the option, will bag off, and let some cover driver handle their route. Sure. Works for you. You get a day off. But it sends a message to Atlanta that you are grossly overpaid. Not saying you should be nipping at scraps to pay the bills, but it may set a president in future negotiations
Really? This act has been going on for the past 25 years(probably longer), yet I continue to get a raise every year. I think you're way off in thinking we high seniority drivers are hurting the rookies. I was able early in my career to work driving instead of getting laid off due to the top guys taking days.

stink219

Maybe it says the 30 year guys are too busted up from delivering for 12 hours a day for the last 3-4 days and their body can't recover like when they first started. Maybe Atlanta needs to look at that? And I think the old cats do help the younger generation, if they didn't take days off, we would not need cover drivers. Don't think unidimensional.

stink219

Oh and to the OP, a reduction in an hour a day would yield less income. So to answer your question, YES. BUT, I would never decrease my hourly wage.

Notretiredyet

I'm never in the center manager's office with the old guys regarding attendance, it's always the young guys. The older drivers are always there when needed, so what if they take a day off once in awhile when they are asked.

pretender

I couldnt believe how many drivers would take less pay!!! for less work These are not guys with 2 or 3 years of service...These are life long Brown guys!!!! Thet r just tired of the B.S....what do U think? I say show me the money!!!!!Take your Stats and shove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW--Not too long ago, this very suggestion was made to the president of our local. Believe it or not, he told us that this subject had already been brought up to UPS, and the company rebuked it. It is their preference to pay the high wages, and therefore, squeeze every last bit of production out of the drivers...

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Let's fantasize about something that ain't never going to happen. Do you really think UPS would ever give us less work? At least in package its more work all the time. They're probably plotting the next fantasy time saving method right now so they can give us all 10 more stops a day in 2013

Yea, its called GPS. Stop for stop Gps, when you take too long to get back to the car, it starts making a high volumed beeping noise over and over again until you get into the car, seat belt and start the engine. You'll see, it'll happen.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I definitely would work "less" for "less pay". I would definitely not work as hard, or as efficient, as I do now.

This is exactly what I have observed in management people as UPS has decreased their overall compensation over the last ten years.
Management people do their job but nothing more and the number of hours worked has decreased.

New hires have not gone through this process of compensation reduction and my observation is they do not have the resentment of compensation reduction and are more willing to take on additional responsibilities.

This is a gross over-simplification of cause and effect but the consensus opinion is that it is valid.

I don't think management will ever change their expectations of work effort except over a generation (15-20 years).

article22

Banned
been on my article 22 over a year!! bid off pkg car!! never had a wrong pay check !! never touch a ground package!!! and btw its not really paycut!! i can last a lot more years than i would have in pkg car!!!!! the way its going now most of you pkg car drivers wont make retirement!!
NO STRESS
NO OT
NO PAIN
LOVE MY LIFE!!!!

WhereDoIWorkAgain

So much of this depends on routes and supervisors, and the culture within your building. The driver in the rural area where my second job is, loves his job even though he suffers long hours at times. He works at a smaller center and isn't under huge pressure all the time. At the hub I work out of many of the lower seniority drivers have routes they hate with giant issues. They would take slightly lower pay for not having huge hassles.

BigBrown3605

I personally would like to thank the senior drivers for always taking off, calling in sick and abusing workmans comp. For that I've made well over 200 punches and was told they will be creating a fulltime driver position for me....BOOM!!!!!

LagunaBrown

I take my breaks, lunches, 8hr requests and get on the 9.5 list when possible. I love my hours, pay and job....... You should try it some time.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I personally would like to thank the senior drivers for always taking off, calling in sick and abusing workmans comp. For that I've made well over 200 punches and was told they will be creating a fulltime driver position for me....BOOM!!!!!

Yeah, it's the senior drivers who are to blame. I love dumb quotes like this.

Kevin211

If you make to much now, Please give me 50.00 out of your check a week...that's a start next year it will be another 50.00...Don't complain about it, you are the one that said openly you are over paid.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
But it sends a message to Atlanta that you are grossly overpaid.

Grossly OVERWORKED is more like it.

They reason all the old guys can take off isn't because they are way overpaid. It's because any person after 30 years at a job has it much better than when they started. House likely paid off kids gone and your making double or triple what u did 30 years before. It's really simple math.