Would you jump to UPS?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
My center manager was on car with me on Thursday for an S&V ride. One of the topics we discussed was the ERI question "Would you recommend this job to a friend?" and I was bit surprised that he said "no". We both agreed that the job has changed, on both sides of the aisle, over the past 10-20 years.
Your center manager was on your car for a safety ride? I guess we all know what you ate for lunch that day. :rofl:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
My center manager was on car with me on Thursday for an S&V ride. One of the topics we discussed was the ERI question "Would you recommend this job to a friend?" and I was bit surprised that he said "no". We both agreed that the job has changed, on both sides of the aisle, over the past 10-20 years.

Your center manager actually goes on rides with drivers? Your center is indeed an anomaly among centers. I don't think I have ever seen my center manager in browns.

Future

Victory Ride
rock_hardplace.jpg
I wish you and your family the best of luck on your decision its not a easy one.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
To work at UPS you don't have to be in Marine physical condition by a long shot. It is physical but the issue is long term wear and tear on the body after doing it for years.
Not so !!! look at us Feeder guys,,,we are all in Marine Tiptop shape !!!!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I currently have a teaching job making $51200 a year teaching. It's not a bad job bit there is virtually no room for advancement and in 10 years I may be making $56000. I have the opportunity to take a job as a permanent employee Temporary Cover Driver. I know I won't be driving everyday and will have to work in the warehouse when I am not driving. I am also aware of the pay difference when I am driving and when I am in the warehouse. I just keep hearing what a great opportunity I have to work for UPS. I know it would take some time to become a full time driver but just getting my foot in the door will open up other opportunities such as administrative or finance positions I could apply for right? I am not afraid of hard work at all. I am just trying to make the right decision for my family because if I make the wrong one I have three little ones that will have to suffer so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Go back to school and get more education. If you get your masters and or a higher level of education, your pay should rise significantly. Plus you can coach during sport seasons which will bring in extra money. Teaching job is great cause it gives you a lot of time to make extra money on the side during the summer like bartending or other sources of income. Teachers work a half day compared to ups drivers anyway and you have a life. You go driving you wont have a life. Easy choice really dude. Your not doing your homework obviously is what it looks like to me. Im not taking a shot at ya, but what im saying is you have a good job with plenty of ways to make up the extra money that you want to potentially earn on the side.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am not afraid of hard work at all.

Just because you are not afraid, doesn't mean you are suited for it.

I know it would take some time to become a full time driver but just getting my foot in the door will open up other opportunities such as administrative or finance positions I could apply for right?

Hold on there cowboy.

If you are trying to saddle up to a higher paying position.... after a few years of driving ?

Think again.

Without a specialized degree (that UPS feels they need), they have a big pool to pick from.

-Bug-

chevy721

I've been in the Marines, fought in desert storm, worked for the post office seven years, ran my own lawn business for 6 years (I'm sorry but you can't convince me driving and delivering packages even compares a little bit to mowing 10-15 yards a day in the Texas heat. And that's not riding on a mower that's behind a push mower. So let me clarify I am very qualifies and physically ( I still hit the gym and run four days a week), and mentally capable of doing the work of a driver. Yes, I am suited for it.

chevy721

What I am learning is that there is no ideal situation I respect that you all work long hard hours. Your paid well but you have to be away from home and your families. Still not 100% on what I am going to do but all the input has been great.

swing_drv

I live in Louisiana, So I'm with you on the Texas heat. And it's only really bad about 3 to 4 months out the year. It's like any job. Some days are good,some days are bad. I never like being behind the same 4 walls all day! . I would say go for it. You could always go back to teaching. BTW: I have a new house, 20 acres, a stay at home wife, 3 kids. 2 dogs,2 cats. 4 goats and 15 chickens. All on my income!

MassWineGuy

If you took the UPS pt job you'd be unhappy, you'd get the very worst routes, have to put up with a ton of bs, and pay the union initiation fee and dues even if your benefits are small to none.