Would you miss UPS?

john346

No more Brown!
Not a bit. As a matter of fact I get irritated to see the logo on feeders and package cars on the streets when I am on vacation! However, I do see loads of people who really work crappier jobs for a lot less pay & no benifits whatsoever, I can even remember a few.
I've invested 24 years in, I'd love to be able to go back to other jobs I have had in the past (mostly for a refreshing change I think). Underground mining, loved it, and was in the best shape of my life. Carpentry, was a good challenge, liked the smell of the fresh cut pine, and I loved looking back at the site at the days end & seeing so much progress. Heavy equipment operator, just the sheer size of the power at my control.
But alas, I'd like to dabble, but realistically, I have molded into this. Yes, for pay & benefits for me & mine. If you are alone, no wife or children, then you possess a freedom allowed to experiment, to tell a supervisor where to stick it when you get fed up. But with the marriage, and especially the children, you have made an obligation to take those doses of crap when handed you.
I know that if UPS folded tomorrow, I'd be alright, it would take adjustment, and some difficult financial decisions, but I'm skilled enough to survive & possibly even thrive. But when I can see the light at the end of this dark hole I've been mired in for so long, I'm not going to rock the boat too much. God, I hate to sound old & slow but apparently job-wise I have become indeed just that! I've posed to several that what we, all of us, who work for the paycheck & what a prostitute does, have alarming parallels. So at the end of the day, the ablility do do what I have become, the repitition, seems comfortable, the paycheck at the end of the week, again the benifits. Some I'd miss, but I guarantee you that when I no longer have to, I will NEVER even glance back once.

I once had a sup who was single ask why I looked so forward to the weekends, why I didn't love my job as much as he did. I explained that that was the only time I could really schedule time with my family, and that the paycheck he felt "he" was giving me every week only bought my time, my enthusiasm couldn't be bought, especially by the likes of him or his company.

Ms Spoken

You know that saying "Don't let the door hit you in the :censored2:". Well when my time comes I will be out so fast that door will not have time to shut and smiling the whole way to my car.
My family comes first and no I do not bleed brown and yes I'm just a number and I really do not care anymore.
Have a good weekend.
Disclaimer: All of this is JMO.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I have two years of driving under my belt, and I love working for UPS. Yes i would miss it. I have days where managment gets to me, but overall I really enjoy working here.
that was most of us 20 yrs ago there rookie wait till the aches and pains kick in at forty and your jaw is sore from talking it on the chin for 15/20 yrs!!! plz don't take this as an insult ,just that your still sold on the ''Brown go gettah pkg......''

Tony31yrs

I walked out of UPS at 50 with a full pension and a smile on my face. I still smile every time I think about how I have all this free time on my hands to do whatever I want and I'm making almost as much as if I were working there.
I smile even more every time I run into one of my fellow drivers who tells me what new ridiculous procedures they have to follow and what they are writing guys up for.
It is a great feeling to run into some former bosses and being able to tell them how guys hated working for them and how I hated some of the stupid rules that they had. It's always great to ask them how long they have to go (I know that they have to go to 55) and tell them how great it is to have my life again.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the money, benefits and pension, but it was hard work with a lot of pressure and you have to pretty much give up your personal life during the week. One minute after midnight on the first of every month, when my pension pay is in my bank account, I appreciate the job I had-I don't miss it, but I appreciate it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I walked out of UPS at 50 with a full pension and a smile on my face. I still smile every time I think about how I have all this free time on my hands to do whatever I want and I'm making almost as much as if I were working there.
I smile even more every time I run into one of my fellow drivers who tells me what new ridiculous procedures they have to follow and what they are writing guys up for.
It is a great feeling to run into some former bosses and being able to tell them how guys hated working for them and how I hated some of the stupid rules that they had. It's always great to ask them how long they have to go (I know that they have to go to 55) and tell them how great it is to have my life again.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the money, benefits and pension, but it was hard work with a lot of pressure and you have to pretty much give up your personal life during the week. One minute after midnight on the first of every month, when my pension pay is in my bank account, I appreciate the job I had-I don't miss it, but I appreciate it.

Great post Tony. I feel exactly the way you do. The other day it was 42 degrees and raining cats & dogs and all I did was smile to myself as I looked out the window (a beer in hand) and watch the UPS truck rattle down my road at 7:00 at night.

Jim Kemp

As I get closer to 30 years(Jan. of next year) I often wonder what it will be like to walk out the door knowing that you are never coming back. It is something I have been looking for since 1978, probably before a lot of you were born.
It will be a very tough day. Maybe some of the retired guys on this blog can tell me what it was like your last day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will have my 30 years in on 4-27-17. I will only be 50. I may or may not retire at that time, based upon my health and other factors.
I will miss the camaraderie and I will miss the sense of accomplishment that comes with completing an honest days work. What I wont miss...is the soulless corporate enviornment, the dishonesty, and the impossible expectations that are imposed upon us by ignorant, desk-bound "geniuses" who dont have a clue about what actually goes on in a delivery truck.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
As long as I got that pension check and insurance coverage coming in......... no way I will miss it. This is not anywhere near the same company I started to work for back in 84. They use to value an employee. Now its "What have you done for me lately." Not that I don't appreciate the pay and benefits that come with my job, but I earn every penny. Plus all the extra duties that have been added to a daily routine almost make it unbearable to show up everyday. Let me get my last 6 years in and I will leave post haste with a smile on my face and never look back.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I would at first, just because it's something I have done for the last 25 years. After the first check comes in the mailbox, and I start to do my traveling, I think I would put it behind me.

Tony31yrs

I will have my 30 years in on 4-27-17. I will only be 50. I may or may not retire at that time, based upon my health and other factors.

Soberups, if you have your health, it is all the more reason to get out when you can. Think about how many fellow workers have ruined their backs, knees, shoulders, etc. Take the money and run. As you get older and arthritis sets in from the normal wear and tear of the job, you'll be glad you got out without something more serious.
I have been healthy my whole life and just as I was retiring, I had a scare with prostate cancer. No symptoms at all, just found by a routine blood test. I had to have a prostatectomy two years ago and I thank God that I came out of it alright. You see guys all the time that drop dead or get sick at any age. Enjoy life-there is more than UPS.

browniehound

I will miss the camaraderie and I will miss the sense of accomplishment that comes with completing an honest days work. What I wont miss...is the soulless corporate enviornment, the dishonesty, and the impossible expectations that are imposed upon us by ignorant, desk-bound "geniuses" who dont have a clue about what actually goes on in a delivery truck.

Sober, I hear ya, but i don't let the "the soulless corporate enviornment, the dishonesty, and the impossible expectations that are imposed upon us by ignorant, desk-bound "geniuses" who dont have a clue about what actually goes on in a delivery truck" bother me.

It has to be this way. You see them in the morning but they become non-existent when you leave the barn. This is what I love about the job!

browniehound

As I get closer to 30 years(Jan. of next year) I often wonder what it will be like to walk out the door knowing that you are never coming back. It is something I have been looking for since 1978, probably before a lot of you were born.
It will be a very tough day. Maybe some of the retired guys on this blog can tell me what it was like your last day.

Worthless, I think you nailed it! That last day you go out on your route. That last day you see your customers. That last day you see the drivers next to you and the preloader.

Even the most P-offed drivers have to say they will miss this. No?