Would you pass on a vacant route if the allowance was terrible?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There is a route soon to be vacant and I am very interested in it but the allowance sucks on it...is this a valid reason to skip on it or man up and sign up on it? What would you guys do....maybe I'm making a bigger deal than it is in the larger picture of things??

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Why would you care what the allowances are? You get paid by the hour. Drivers need to get over this production concept, as the company continues to reduce allowances and take bonus away.

Just do the route and get paid by the hour if it runs the kind of hours you are seeking.

Why worry about impressing anyone with numbers?

Peace

TOS

barnyard

KTM rider
Bid on it and do the job by the methods. This is the way you beat UPS' hypocrisy. The allowance is irrelevant.

and either seen your no over 9.5 sheet or if you do not have the sheet (we don't in our building and the shop steward does not know anything about them), tell your supe that you want 9.5 days and you will grieve over 9.5. Be sure to request 8 hr days regularly.

bigblu 2 you

i done that very same thing years ago.bid on a run that had runners and gunners on it.when i didnt run scratch as compared to their underallowed,my effort was questioned.to make a long story short ,after being followed/observed,ridden with and harrased i forced them to time study the route.they tried to intimidate me by saying things like "you will loose in a time study","you have to be method perfect," "whatever you lock in at you will live with",'you dont want this" and many more SCARY threats. after three days i locked it in at 80 over.end of story. if you want the run take the run and make it what you want it to be the right way.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Every route is what you make it. Take all your break work by the methods and file 9.5 grievances. In a year or so u might have a decent route.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
A big fat NO. I would bid a runners rte in a heart beat. There is nothing to it, have sup train you, do everything by the book, no cutting corners with the sup, do all the work yourself and there you have it. Thats all you have to do going forward. Not what the previous driver did.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If it were 90% residential and just a couple of pickups I'dd be on it like a feeder driver on a porkchop! Allowances mean nothing

DorkHead

i done that very same thing years ago.bid on a run that had runners and gunners on it.when i didnt run scratch as compared to their underallowed,my effort was questioned.to make a long story short ,after being followed/observed,ridden with and harrased i forced them to time study the route.they tried to intimidate me by saying things like "you will loose in a time study","you have to be method perfect," "whatever you lock in at you will live with",'you dont want this" and many more SCARY threats. after three days i locked it in at 80 over.end of story. if you want the run take the run and make it what you want it to be the right way.

First off, you didn`t force them to time study the "route". Routes are not time studied, areas are. Your route is made up of several areas that also include portions of other routes. From your posting it sounds like they did a 3 day production ride with you and you averaged 80 over. Believe me, you did not gain 80 on your route. I`m glad you showed them that the time allowance is definitely out of "whack" but they will continue to harass you, maybe not as much now. Just work safe and use their methods and you`ll be fine.

DS

Fenderbender
I locked it in at 80 over.
Just curious,what happens if you go say.... 130 over now?
Being "locked in" means what?
A talking to? another ride along?Termination?
They locked me in at 11.7 sphor and I've been less than that a few times
with nothing said.

UPSGUY72

Everyone know the routes that are good and the routes that really suck. There are a number of things that effect weather a route is good or bad. The area (good DR area or do you need to get a signature everywhere). The number of stop and pick ups and the how easy it is to drive around in the area. With that being said I'll stay a cover driver untill a halfway decent route opens up.

Some might say any route is better that being a cover driver because you don't know what area your going to be in on any given day. Than there are the people like me that take full advantage of the the benefits of being a FT cover driver... I have to thank my SUP's for only training me on routes that drivers with 20 plus yrs of seniority do....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The route is better than the one I have now, just a crap allowance and almost all signatures lots of non dr resi work which is why I think some of the allowance is so jacked. Maybe since I'm so " conditioned" on my current route with a sh load of pickups this is why I'm having a bit of an issue deciding??thanks for the discussion everybody...I'm looking at this in a new light...

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
The route is better than the one I have now, just a crap allowance and almost all signatures lots of non dr resi work which is why I think some of the allowance is so jacked. Maybe since I'm so " conditioned" on my current route with a sh load of pickups this is why I'm having a bit of an issue deciding??thanks for the discussion everybody...I'm looking at this in a new light...

I would worry about the crap allowance its not your problem and I would never let UPS hold me to a certin allowance, since magament have been know to adj numbers to benefit them. I have seen where they will code your am time as safety meeting on a three day ride to lower the paid over.

brownrod

There is a route soon to be vacant and I am very interested in it but the allowance sucks on it...is this a valid reason to skip on it or man up and sign up on it? What would you guys do....maybe I'm making a bigger deal than it is in the larger picture of things??

Life is too good as a full time driver without a bid route. I know a ton of old man rural routes. I wouldn't waste my time taking any route with bad numbers.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Go with the route that has the least mental and physical stress. Do it by the methods and keep your stress to a minimum. Look at long term survival.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Just curious,what happens if you go say.... 130 over now?
Being "locked in" means what?
A talking to? another ride along?Termination?
They locked me in at 11.7 sphor and I've been less than that a few times
with nothing said.

So far, I haven't been 'locked in' on my rte. Wouldn't matter anyway. I can only do what I can do. My SPORH is anywhere from 11's to 15's. It all depends on my miles. It is extremely rare that I am under allowed. Usually anywhere from 050 to 100 over.

Omega man

There is no such thing as a "lock in ride". This is UPS' pathetic and unethical attempt to try to harass drivers for the same performance no matter what they do to you. How can drivers have consistent performance when everything changes from day to day? Don't fall for it. Bad loads, bad dispatch, and different areas or splits each day adds up to variable performance caused by them.