Would you pass on a vacant route if the allowance was terrible?

bigblu 2 you

First off, you didn`t force them to time study the "route". Routes are not time studied, areas are. Your route is made up of several areas that also include portions of other routes. From your posting it sounds like they did a 3 day production ride with you and you averaged 80 over. Believe me, you did not gain 80 on your route. I`m glad you showed them that the time allowance is definitely out of "whack" but they will continue to harass you, maybe not as much now. Just work safe and use their methods and you`ll be fine.
.maybe my terminology is off but after prolonged harassment and too much to relive i filed grievencesand told management the time was off.of course they pull the numbers on the previous two drivers{single 22-24 year olds}and compare records.somehow we never found hour long lunch brakes,this was before telematics or we would have seen failed pickup compliance,speeding,delivery during break,etc.i made it clear with my b.a. present i would not be held to those standards or numbers and asked for a 3 day lock,time study or whatever you may call it.the c.m. told me in the 3 centers he has run no one has ever been locked in over scratch. well i must have been his first.and guess what,i kept in in the 5-8 tenths range and harassment came to a stop.i am no longer on that route,it has become a training run and fallen right back to a run and gun show.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a question somewhat along the lines of this thread. There is going to be a major road construction project on my area in 2014. I have been looking at other routes within my loop as I am thinking of bidding off of my area due to this project. I know that I have very little patience and having to deal with delays every day may just put me over the edge so rather than deal with it I am thinking of bidding another route.

Would any of you bid off of your area rather than deal with an extended major road construction project?

Indecisi0n

I have a question somewhat along the lines of this thread. There is going to be a major road construction project on my area in 2014. I have been looking at other routes within my loop as I am thinking of bidding off of my area due to this project. I know that I have very little patience and having to deal with delays every day may just put me over the edge so rather than deal with it I am thinking of bidding another route.

Would any of you bid off of your area rather than deal with an extended major road construction project?

I could careless about the construction. I would run the route like i always did but advice dispatch of the road work. Common sense would say they need to pull some work because of the delays but we all know they lack common sense. I would just prepare myself for getting back to the building later than normal. Enjoy the extra green in your pocket.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could careless about the construction. I would run the route like i always did but advice dispatch of the road work. Common sense would say they need to pull some work because of the delays but we all know they lack common sense. I would just prepare myself for getting back to the building later than normal. Enjoy the extra green in your pocket.

There is more to life than money.

I know myself well enough to know that I would be so frustrated by the delays that I would do or say something that may get me in trouble. Better to be nowhere near the area.

The ironic part is that I live on my area and will have to deal with the construction going to and coming home from work each day.

Indecisi0n

I know myself well enough to know that I would be so frustrated by the delays that I would do or say something that may get me in trouble. Better to be nowhere near the area.

The ironic part is that I live on my area and will have to deal with the construction going to and coming home from work each day.

I totally agree with the more to life than money statement but I wouldn't give a route up over it unless i had small children at home. Other than that I would just deal with it for the time being. That's just me.

CharleyHustle

A few years ago they did a major reconstruction of the main road through my area and it was actually easier. I think mostly because there was less traffic because of people avoiding the area and the construction still had to allow access to businesses and homes. As long as you weren't going strait through, it didn't take much more time to get from stop to stop. Once construction workers realize that you are not going to ram-rod around and endanger their lives they will let you do or go any where you need to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A few years ago they did a major reconstruction of the main road through my area and it was actually easier. I think mostly because there was less traffic because of people avoiding the area and the construction still had to allow access to businesses and homes. As long as you weren't going strait through, it didn't take much more time to get from stop to stop. Once construction workers realize that you are not going to ram-rod around and endanger their lives they will let you do or go any where you need to.

The problem would not be the main road as much as it would be all of the little side streets that I would have to deliver and then wait to get back on to the main road.

over9five

Staff member
The problem would not be the main road as much as it would be all of the little side streets that I would have to deliver and then wait to get back on to the main road.
Sounds like you've already decided!

Just remember:
When the guy doing your old route can't get it done because the construction has him so far behind, it'll be you they send to help him OR you'll just get 25 cut to your new route from your old route every day!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

You must bid yearly. I would probably move to something else. I totally understand the lack of patience. I suffer from it daily.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I wouldn't give up my rte for anything. I will probably retire on my rte, if I make it that long. I would deal with the road construction and get paid by the hour for doing it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Indeed there is but would you be happier on your rte or doing another rte. Sometimes it is worth giving up a little bit of time for the long term effects.

over9five

Staff member
But he doesn't care about the OT. As long as he has some seniority, he can bid back when the construction is done.

I'm thinking he'll talk to his center manager about it, and the center manager will say something like, "You gotta stay on it Upstate. We need you right there! You're the best thing since sliced bread. Take one for the TEAM!!!!".

You gotta ask yourself if you like being a " Utility driver" or not? If you don't mind being on different routes & in different areas cities, etc.- If you hate it then bid on the route...