Would you take a cut in pay if it meant keeping your job?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by MonavieLeaker, Dec 15, 2008.

?

Would you take a paycut to keep your job?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2009.
  1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. MonavieLeaker

MonavieLeaker Bringin Teh_Lulz

With the recent news about The Big 3 and the UAW........Was just wondering how many of you would take a paycut if it meant keeping your job.

2. New Englander

New Englander New Member

Nope....I would have most if not all of the 22.3 jobs eliminated first. Most of them are pure criminal in what they pay vs the work they get from them.

3. NaiveRapture

NaiveRapture Learning the system

Depends, is the pay cut permanent? How big of a pay cut? These are important aspects to your question.

4. upssalesguy

upssalesguy UPS Defender

i'd take stock over a pay raise this year.

5. MonavieLeaker

Very good questions.....I'd say it would be until the economy gets back on its feet so to speak.....As far as how big it'd depend on ft/pt jobs

6. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Stock in what company?

7. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Cut the lesser jobs first.

8. rod

rod retired and happy

I don't think it would be right to ask someone making $8.50 an hour to take a cut but for the most part I would vote for a pay cut if it meant having a job or not having one. That is if EVERYONE making over a certain amount would also give the same percentage up. Determining where the cut off would be would be the hard part. As long as the company is making a good profit paycuts shouldn't even be brought up.:peaceful:

9. MonavieLeaker

Agreed with all of that

10. outamyway

outamyway New Member

Management would have to be included. They also could not get end of the year bonuses either(I actually find it sickening that we have laid off drivers and they still get a bonus). If that was the case then yes I would.

11. HEFFERNAN

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

We already took one !!!!

It's called our last contract !!!!!

:thumbsup:

12. MonavieLeaker

Paycut would be for everyone....Except the new hires..who only make $8.50 anyways

13. New Englander

New Englander New Member

Dude we have laid off drivers EVERY year at some point.

14. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

You take a pay cut when the competition starts spanking you, not when you continue to spank the competition.

15. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

If ups was hurting yes i would take a pay cut/freeze. But at the same time being a steward i see ups wasting a lot of money on grievances for sups working at double time, violating 9.5s at triple time, pay shortages at 4 hours per week penalty. This is a lot of money that could go towards the companies profit.

Ups could save a ton of money by adhering to the contract first before i would take this pay cut/freeze so i voted no, not at this time.

16. leastbest

leastbest LeastBest

No, bad enough I had to put up with production harassment and no power steering for years. If it paid less I wouldn't have put up with the job.

17. DownsizedUPS'er

DownsizedUPS'er missing my UPS family

seeing as my job, my department was outsourced, i would say yes, totally. i spent 18 years with ups. i loved my job, my coworkers and my customers. i would love to have my job back.

18. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

If mgt was included (all the way up the ladder) and the pt's were excluded and it was necessary to save the company then I'd have to say yes. But, knowing UPS, the above criteria would never be met.

I agree with Red, UPS wastes so much money it's insane.

19. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

How very true

20. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

If applied equally through all levels of our company, yes.