Would you take it

PT Car Washer

I guess you could sit on your send agains until you have several going to the same area. Get lots of phone numbers and alternate delivery points.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I guess you could sit on your send agains until you have several going to the same area. Get lots of phone numbers and alternate delivery points.
This isn't a route for a new driver. You really have to have area knowledge and be able to run your truck without EDD. There have been times when the board has died or the shuttle driver "forgets" to download EDD before leaving. Those send agains have to be delivered the next day without being in the board. Indirects and getting in good with the customers on this route really makes the day go by better.

They pay around $2500 a month to rent out this heated storage bay to store the truck. It has a fax machine but no facilities and that's it. I cannot figure out no matter what math I try to use how that is cheaper than just dispatching from our center.

542thruNthru

Just curious because I live in an area where there are no satellite routes. Can they file 9.5? How do they deal with peak for routes like that? Does he get a helper or do they add another truck?

scooby0048

Just curious because I live in an area where there are no satellite routes. Can they file 9.5? How do they deal with peak for routes like that? Does he get a helper or do they add another truck?

They can file the 9.5 and in theory they send the work to other drivers close to that loop but that driver (satellite) was lazy as balls and never filed and he had a golden cash cow with all the ot. For peak we have another route established that covers the leftover areas he cannot get to. Never gets a helper as the most stops he would ever see is 50-60.

Having the extra burden of driving to and from the truck (45-60 mins each way each day) and not wanting all the OT, you can bet your bottom dollar that if I had that route, I would be on the 9.5 list first day I started the route.

scooby0048

With those type of hours, why not just go into feeders?
Well Wally, you are absolutely right however here there are only 2 feeders and there is no way anyone is getting into feeders unless the sun, moon, and earth fell into perfect alignment and then it rained unicorn poop.

rod

Retired 22 years
There are satellites all over Mn and Wi.

My old center has two of them that I know of. One route starts about 35 miles from the center and one about 45. Both of the guys who run them live close to where their routes start. Other drivers shuttle their loads out to them. One guy starts at 9:50 and the other at 10:15-- I think.

scooby0048

So the Outbound on the Pick Up Pieces are a day behind? What if someone is shipping a NDA? No pickup pieces on this satellite route go out same day?
They will try to send someone to get it but that rarely happens because he is too far out in the booines. So any pickups are tendered to the shuttle driver the next day. Same for Friday, not turned over until Monday. I honestly don't how that arrangement is acceptable but that's how they do it. I'm sure there is so special code they use to cover their butts like when trailers mysteriously disappear.

ManInBrown

They will try to send someone to get it but that rarely happens because he is too far out in the booines. So any pickups are tendered to the shuttle driver the next day. Same for Friday, not turned over until Monday. I honestly don't how that arrangement is acceptable but that's how they do it. I'm sure there is so special code they use to cover their butts like when trailers mysteriously disappear.

Wow. I have always been interested in the "logistics" of satellite routes. How they work. We have none where I am. I can't believe that's acceptable on the customers end. But in a way I guess they must be used to those kind of things being in the "boonies"

But someone else mentioned a satellite route only 35 miles from the center. Is 35 miles from the center really considered the "boonies"? Doesn't seem real far too me. I could see 75 miles being a satellite.

PT Car Washer

Wow. I have always been interested in the "logistics" of satellite routes. How they work. We have none where I am. I can't believe that's acceptable on the customers end. But in a way I guess they must be used to those kind of things being in the "boonies"

But someone else mentioned a satellite route only 35 miles from the center. Is 35 miles from the center really considered the "boonies"? Doesn't seem real far too me. I could see 75 miles being a satellite.
The 35 miles is where you leave from. Does not say how far you drive before your first stop.

upschuck

Here satellite routes have no pick ups, and most all w/c are delayed a day, which I'm sure ticks off a few customers.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They had none in the buildings when I drove. Might depend if I was single or not. Would consider renting a room near there during the week or even moving a travel trailer nearby to avoid the commute, just come home on weekends. How much $$$$ it paid would be a factor as well.

ManInBrown

Is the shuttle driver usually an Air Driver? Or is it the top dog in the center who goes to the airport in the morning and brings back the air and then shuttles the work out to the satellite routes? Does that one driver meet all the satellite routes for that center? I guess it would depend.

In our center the top dog goes to the airport, shuttles back the air to the center. And then does 1 or 2 bulk stops and calls it a day. A post office stop and a bulk customer.

9.5er

Is the shuttle driver usually an Air Driver? Or is it the top dog in the center who goes to the airport in the morning and brings back the air and then shuttles the work out to the satellite routes? Does that one driver meet all the satellite routes for that center? I guess it would depend.

In our center the top dog goes to the airport, shuttles back the air to the center. And then does 1 or 2 bulk stops and calls it a day. A post office stop and a bulk customer.
In our center we have two regular routes that pull the TP60 to the drop off point before starting their day. At the end of the day the same drivers go by and pick up the TP60. At some point during the afternoon the Satellite drivers have dropped their pick ups off and if they finished their route (Most days they have) their boards are brought back also.

scooby0048

Wow. I have always been interested in the "logistics" of satellite routes. How they work. We have none where I am. I can't believe that's acceptable on the customers end. But in a way I guess they must be used to those kind of things being in the "boonies" Just like there is no committed packages on that route
But someone else mentioned a satellite route only 35 miles from the center. Is 35 miles from the center really considered the "boonies"? Doesn't seem real far too me. I could see 75 miles being a satellite. This one is somewhere around 50-60 miles away depending on where in town you live.
The shuttle driver is just a regular driver who stops there on the way to their route and drops off the satellite's stuff. The other satellite we have is an hour away and has the same structure.