WOW!! A Fully-Funded Pension

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Toprate in Canada is $24 an hr .(after 30 mths of driving).
But remember $24 in Canada is only about $16 in american buying power !
Pension as good as non existing ($50 per year service, after 20 years of service = 22 years gives you $1000 mth).
Heathcare none (paid by government).

They do have company insurance and it pays 80% of perscription drugs, and some dental .

Not much better. Fedex pays roughly the same here, somewhat lower, but not by much.
Plus fedex pays bennies after 3 months here, not after 1 year , like UPS does.

Ground pays roughly $12-13 hr USD or a flat weekly salary with no OT. Gee, $24 CDN seems like a bit more, doesn't it? Guess you should attend some remedial math classes. Please continue with those personal attacks when you've run out of IQ, OK? Your "lousy" pension is better than the FedEx PPA by far and Ground doesn't even have a pension, so I'm not sure if you're even on the same planet for the purposes of this discussion.

klein

Für Meno :)
Ground pays roughly $12-13 hr USD or a flat weekly salary with no OT. Gee, $24 CDN seems like a bit more, doesn't it? Guess you should attend some remedial math classes. Please continue with those personal attacks when you've run out of IQ, OK? Your "lousy" pension is better than the FedEx PPA by far and Ground doesn't even have a pension, so I'm not sure if you're even on the same planet for the purposes of this discussion.

You need to visit the planet first !
Average house price here is $400K, average condo is $250K.
UPS is not, I repeat NOT a top paying job here. It's average. That's about it.

Mac D's pays $11.00 /hr here, minimum starting wage, compared to $12 UPS starting wage as driver (by contract).

vantexan

Pension plans are not meant to be your sole source of income in retirement, so acting like you are banking your entire future on it would be stupid in the first place. It's not 1950 anymore, no company is going to pay you as much or more with a pension than you actually made in a year anymore....ala GM....with the exception of some government pensions. That's what 401k (with a company match), IRA's, and the $5/month we'll be lucky to get from Social Security (Assuming the gov. doesn't spent it on the proposed $165B Union pension bailout plan) is for. I'm sure I'll get some argument about how FedEx doesn't pay enough to allow you to participate in any of these things, that's complete BS. The fake scenario that MrFedEx proposed in the original post to this thread is identical to my situation. If you feel that you can't participate in these plans, then maybe one should look at their priorities and reallocate money to the necessary channels to provide for a comfortable retirement for themselves. If you choose to live above your means, that is not FedEx's fault. I worked FT hours as a PTer, by my choice, while i put myself through college with reimbursement from FedEx. I own a house, a car, and more than enough material crap to enjoy myself. Good for me right? My point is that one can easily make enough money at FedEx to have a more than comfortable life. Get over the pension already, yeah the new one sucks compared to the old one, but MrFedex----this is probably the 100th thread you have started on this exact same topic.

There is no rule/law that FedEx has to pay the same as UPS. We may do the same job, but not as much work. Many UPS drivers do almost double the stops of an Express courier....so 1/2-2/3 of the pay is about right.

Do UPS drivers load their own trucks? How many UPS rts are in the same area as 1 FedEx driver? 2/3rds of UPS pay is about right? OK, give me 2/3rds of UPS pay after 3 years of employment. Give me a pension equal to 2/3rds of what a UPS driver gets. SOLD!! Problem solved! Next!

So given the economic climate you are certain your 401k will give you a comfortable retirement? All I ask from the company per the traditional pension is they honor the promises they made that if I put in the time I would get a pension equal to 50% of my highest average annual pay at age 60. They were already putting newhires under the PPP. They came in knowing they were getting the PPP. And if it was truly about accounting rules changes why not have a more generous PPP? You know why. It's about more profit for bigger dividends. It's about more money for management bonuses.

Want me to get over the pension? Stop paying dividends, stop paying bonuses, make executive pay of this company and other American corporations much closer to corporations of other Western nations. It's disingenuous to tell us to get over money we will truly need in our retirement when those in power have money up the wazzoo. By the way, that traditional pension was a fixed benefit pension. It's value will erode with inflation. So would've been nice to start retirement with a larger pension. Sounds like you are against Social Security too. Bet you wouldn't be if business didn't have to match SS taxes. That takes away from dividends, bonuses, and raises from those of you who "deserve" more. It's time they started taxing all income to make SS solvent.

vantexan

Mac D's pays $11.00 /hr here, minimum starting wage, compared to $12 UPS starting wage as driver (by contract).

Why would anyone work for UPS at $12hr when MickeyD's pays $11hr? Isn't it also safe to say that UPS pays the same nationwide and there are many places in Canada where the cost of living is very reasonable? At any rate, I believe we are talking about what FedEx pays in the States. I don't think FedEx can pay what UPS pays, but they can certainly do better.

vantexan

Wanna know the starting wage as a driver for UPS Canada ? Yup $12 an hr !!!
And remember, our $12 is like $8.00 to yours, in purchasing power !

(1 pack of cigs $12.00, 1 box of coors light or Molson -12 pack is $28.00, milk is $5.00 a gallon and to rent a 1 bedroom apartment is an average of $1000 per month).

And yes, UPS doesn't need to provide healthinsurance, or pension plan, either.

Yet, they still do the job !

Expensive beer and cigarettes? I think we've discovered the source of your cashflow problem!

klein

Für Meno :)
Who said I had a cash flow problem ?
If you discovered anything, it's why I keep leaving the country !

Basically paid vacation, if I do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Average house price where I live is about the same, and UPS is probably an everage job here too. That makes both FedEx Ground and Express way below average. You seem to be forgetting that there is no wage progression for a Ground driver unless the contractor sees fit to pay more. Your guy eventually makes $24 CDN, and the Ground guy stays at $12-13 per hour, with absolutely no benefits. We don't have Canada-style medical coverage here either. Please tell me how the UPS job isn't going to be the better deal long-term?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe said Ground driver could become a contractor?

Again, how does someone making $12 per hour save enough money to become a contractor? You already described a scenario where a driver had to partner with someone else. Fine. Very few, if any, could do it on that low a wage unless they lived in Mom's basement or in their car.

bbsam

Staff member
Again, how does someone making $12 per hour save enough money to become a contractor? You already described a scenario where a driver had to partner with someone else. Fine. Very few, if any, could do it on that low a wage unless they lived in Mom's basement or in their car.
And not everybody can buy 400,000 shares of Microsoft. Not my problem.

vantexan

And not everybody can buy 400,000 shares of Microsoft. Not my problem.

It really isn't your problem. You are just taking advantage of what's available to you. But don't kid yourself. Most aren't in the position to do likewise and have to spend their working lives scrambling to make ends meet. You can't say they should all work harder, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, etc when the future of your "crap load of money" depends very much on most not being able to find anything better than what you are offering. The single biggest problem I have with FedEx is they put a lot of demands on their employees without rewarding them. Used to be that if you worked hard, jumped through all the hoops, you got rewarded. What's the point of working so hard then? Might as well find a regular job that doesn't push you. But FedEx now wants us to be as productive as ever, but settle for much less. Apparently we are supposed to just exist for their benefit.

FedEx2000

BS. How does one "get over" having their pension taken away? Perhaps I (and others) would have liked that extra money in order to have a good retirement or make some additional investments. Instead, I've subsidized the gargantuan retirement plans of our pilots and execs. And as long as sorry apologists like you get on here and try to rationalize it all away, I'll have to post another 100 times in order to refute your garbage.

Be content with your pittance. I would much prefer to have more AND a better retirement.

I'm not trying to rationalize anything, I've just accepted the reality of it and moved on. You can piss and moan all you want if it makes you feel better, but it that going to change anything? You can want all day, it's not going to change your pension. You have been with FDX for over 20 yrs if I remember correctly, so you probably have an almost maxed pension under the old plan anyway, since it was capped at 25 yrs. The PPP will actually give you money you wouldn't have otherwise gotten if you stayed beyond 25 yrs. Obviously it wouldn't work out this way for everyone.....just those who were at or near 25 at the time of the switchover. Pittance? You can't possibly know what mine is.....pure speculation on your part. Just because you refute it, doesn't make it false.....your word (opinion) carries no more weight than anyone else's on here. At some point you have to realize that just b/c someone has a different viewpoint than you do, doesn't make them wrong and guilty of posting misinformation....just their opinion like everyone else.

If you want a pilot/exec. pension, maybe you should have pursued those careers. You want $70+k a year for a job that doesn't even require a high school diploma? Get a grip. Fact is, couriers/handlers/CSA's are replaceable. I've seen pizza delivery persons run a more efficient route.

And in regards to your original post: Either your managers are getting different information or it's just an outright lie that managers are being instructed to portray our pension as rock-solid. Maybe YOUR manager said this to you, that doesn't mean the company is instructing managers to do so.....b/c their not, at least around here.

Also, when exactly do you work? Either you sit at a desk all day, or you go home 6 times a day to post on here b/c your post times are all day long.....when could you possibly be delivering pkgs? Just wondering......

FedEx2000

Do UPS drivers load their own trucks? How many UPS rts are in the same area as 1 FedEx driver? 2/3rds of UPS pay is about right? OK, give me 2/3rds of UPS pay after 3 years of employment. Give me a pension equal to 2/3rds of what a UPS driver gets. SOLD!! Problem solved! Next!

So given the economic climate you are certain your 401k will give you a comfortable retirement? All I ask from the company per the traditional pension is they honor the promises they made that if I put in the time I would get a pension equal to 50% of my highest average annual pay at age 60. They were already putting newhires under the PPP. They came in knowing they were getting the PPP. And if it was truly about accounting rules changes why not have a more generous PPP? You know why. It's about more profit for bigger dividends. It's about more money for management bonuses.

Want me to get over the pension? Stop paying dividends, stop paying bonuses, make executive pay of this company and other American corporations much closer to corporations of other Western nations. It's disingenuous to tell us to get over money we will truly need in our retirement when those in power have money up the wazzoo. By the way, that traditional pension was a fixed benefit pension. It's value will erode with inflation. So would've been nice to start retirement with a larger pension. Sounds like you are against Social Security too. Bet you wouldn't be if business didn't have to match SS taxes. That takes away from dividends, bonuses, and raises from those of you who "deserve" more. It's time they started taxing all income to make SS solvent.

UPS drivers don't load their trucks b/c the company realized they could pay a handler (preloader) a third of what the drivers make to do it. Have you ever actually stopped and looked around during a FDX AM sort? Half the drivers are just talking with their hands on their hips or drinking coffee. Unless you are the first truck online or have a bulky route, it's not that difficult. I guarantee the loaders on a UPS sort are busting @ss nonstop the whole time. So you think you should get equal pay as UPS? Ok, their loaders make what, $8-10/hr....I'm sure FedEx would go for that. Again, please show me where in any part of any law that it says FDX has to do what UPS does? That is the worst argument there is......if we did everything exactly the way they do, what would be the point......we might as well merge and become a monopoly instead of a duopoly. UPS tops out after 3 yrs, great, why should we other then b/c you think we should? Why don't their PTers get benefits after 3 months like we do? Why don't their PTers have the same payscale as the FTers like we do? They do it, so we should too isn't even an argument....it's just ridiculous.

Stop paying dividends and bonuses? Come on, I know you aren't that dumb. Where do you think the capital comes from that allows us to build infrastructure, buy planes, equipment, and stay in operation? Investors! Where do they go when you stop paying dividends? Away. Bonuses? UPS does it, so why can't we? (Too use so many other's logic) Without bonuses what "talent" we have goes elsewhere as well. The executive pay of FedEx is nowhere near as outrageous as many other companies....especially banks, oil companies, etc. Are they still crazy high by normal people's standards? Of course. Do you know any director's or VP's? They hardly ever take vacation and are stressed out of their minds. And they all did your job at one point, with the exception of very few of them, so yes, they know what it takes. We don't just hire J. Smith from GM and pay him $2M/yr, they have all been promoted from within and have a much broader view of the company than you or I. They worry about much more than the 100 or so pkgs on your truck. Also, there were no mgt bonuses in 2009, and the 2008 and 2010 bonuses were/are only funded at 50%.

I'm in no way, shape, or form against SS.....I just understand that in it's current state it is in shambles and I am not counting on it for retirement. Any SS that I get will be just about enough to buy lunch for the day unless there is a major overhaul. UPS paid $6 Billion dollars to get out of the Central States Pension fund a few years ago. I bet the hourly employees would have rather that been paid out in a company bonus to them instead of to get out of a corrupt union run pension. I believe the story on the homepage of Browncafe said that the fund only had .47 on the 1.00 owed. Just b/c you are promised a pension at a certain amount, doesn't mean the money will be there when you retire. i honestly don't know the state of the current UPS pension, but I'm sure it's better of now. But, since I don't for UPS I don't get my panties in a bunch over it. If I wanted their pension, I would get a job there.

vantexan

UPS drivers don't load their trucks b/c the company realized they could pay a handler (preloader) a third of what the drivers make to do it. Have you ever actually stopped and looked around during a FDX AM sort? Half the drivers are just talking with their hands on their hips or drinking coffee. Unless you are the first truck online or have a bulky route, it's not that difficult. I guarantee the loaders on a UPS sort are busting @ss nonstop the whole time. So you think you should get equal pay as UPS? Ok, their loaders make what, $8-10/hr....I'm sure FedEx would go for that. Again, please show me where in any part of any law that it says FDX has to do what UPS does? That is the worst argument there is......if we did everything exactly the way they do, what would be the point......we might as well merge and become a monopoly instead of a duopoly. UPS tops out after 3 yrs, great, why should we other then b/c you think we should? Why don't their PTers get benefits after 3 months like we do? Why don't their PTers have the same payscale as the FTers like we do? They do it, so we should too isn't even an argument....it's just ridiculous.

Stop paying dividends and bonuses? Come on, I know you aren't that dumb. Where do you think the capital comes from that allows us to build infrastructure, buy planes, equipment, and stay in operation? Investors! Where do they go when you stop paying dividends? Away. Bonuses? UPS does it, so why can't we? (Too use so many other's logic) Without bonuses what "talent" we have goes elsewhere as well. The executive pay of FedEx is nowhere near as outrageous as many other companies....especially banks, oil companies, etc. Are they still crazy high by normal people's standards? Of course. Do you know any director's or VP's? They hardly ever take vacation and are stressed out of their minds. And they all did your job at one point, with the exception of very few of them, so yes, they know what it takes. We don't just hire J. Smith from GM and pay him $2M/yr, they have all been promoted from within and have a much broader view of the company than you or I. They worry about much more than the 100 or so pkgs on your truck. Also, there were no mgt bonuses in 2009, and the 2008 and 2010 bonuses were/are only funded at 50%.

I'm in no way, shape, or form against SS.....I just understand that in it's current state it is in shambles and I am not counting on it for retirement. Any SS that I get will be just about enough to buy lunch for the day unless there is a major overhaul. UPS paid $6 Billion dollars to get out of the Central States Pension fund a few years ago. I bet the hourly employees would have rather that been paid out in a company bonus to them instead of to get out of a corrupt union run pension. I believe the story on the homepage of Browncafe said that the fund only had .47 on the 1.00 owed. Just b/c you are promised a pension at a certain amount, doesn't mean the money will be there when you retire. i honestly don't know the state of the current UPS pension, but I'm sure it's better of now. But, since I don't for UPS I don't get my panties in a bunch over it. If I wanted their pension, I would get a job there.

You are right, we shouldn't do like UPS and top out in 3 years...20+ is fine for us. What sort are you working on where couriers are standing around drinking coffee? I unload containers every morning, rehired 11,5 years ago, about 23 years total. Let me work at your station!

Now you can't be that ignorant! Investors providing us with capital? You do know that the stock traded on the NYSE doesn't provide us with capital? It's about keeping the stock price high so those who own alot of stock can pull out as much cash as possible when they sell their personal shares. How do they do that? They give big institutional buyers i.e. mutual funds an incentive to buy our stock by providing a dividend from our profits. And a nice bonus for those individuals who own alot of shares is they get those dividends too. Everything we do is about keeping that stock price high. That's why our benefits have been stripped and our pay progression slowed to a trickle..to keep that stock price high. If you don't know that I would suggest you read up on investing before you start calling people dumb. If I bought a million shares of FedEx stock tomorrow the company wouldn't see a dime of it. Companies only get investment capital from the sale of stock when they offer an I.P.O....Initial Public Offering. Something new companies do. Where does the money come from for capital investments like planes, etc? At the start from the I.P.O., but ongoing it comes out of profits, not from the stock market. And if you've read my posts at all you know I've pointed out that FedEx can't pay UPS pay and benefits, but unlike you I believe they can certainly do better by us. We initially topped out in 2 years, but over the years the company, in pursuit of that high stock price, has stripped our benefits and held our pay down. And either you are a mgr or a newer employee who doesn't know the company's history.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not trying to rationalize anything, I've just accepted the reality of it and moved on. You can piss and moan all you want if it makes you feel better, but it that going to change anything? You can want all day, it's not going to change your pension. You have been with FDX for over 20 yrs if I remember correctly, so you probably have an almost maxed pension under the old plan anyway, since it was capped at 25 yrs. The PPP will actually give you money you wouldn't have otherwise gotten if you stayed beyond 25 yrs. Obviously it wouldn't work out this way for everyone.....just those who were at or near 25 at the time of the switchover. Pittance? You can't possibly know what mine is.....pure speculation on your part. Just because you refute it, doesn't make it false.....your word (opinion) carries no more weight than anyone else's on here. At some point you have to realize that just b/c someone has a different viewpoint than you do, doesn't make them wrong and guilty of posting misinformation....just their opinion like everyone else.

If you want a pilot/exec. pension, maybe you should have pursued those careers. You want $70+k a year for a job that doesn't even require a high school diploma? Get a grip. Fact is, couriers/handlers/CSA's are replaceable. I've seen pizza delivery persons run a more efficient route.

And in regards to your original post: Either your managers are getting different information or it's just an outright lie that managers are being instructed to portray our pension as rock-solid. Maybe YOUR manager said this to you, that doesn't mean the company is instructing managers to do so.....b/c their not, at least around here.

Also, when exactly do you work? Either you sit at a desk all day, or you go home 6 times a day to post on here b/c your post times are all day long.....when could you possibly be delivering pkgs? Just wondering......

I can post whenever and wherever I'm near a location that allows me to do so, and I'll leave it at that. Technology is wonderful, and mobile. And I don't need to "accept" the loss of our pension. I can do something to possibly get it back, and that's where a union comes-in. Don't you think our non-pension will be a major topic of discussion and negotiation if we get a contract? I think Smith is much more afraid of having to bring-back a real retirement plan than he is of paying a couple of additional bucks an hour or changing top-out times.

And as far as your "pittance" goes, I probably know more than you think I do. For example, a very good manager friend of mine has shared his retirement statement with me. With 20 years in at FedEx, the vast majority of those as a manager, and 16 years under the old plan, guess how much he'll receive at normal retirement age? The huge sum of just less than $3,000 per month. Wow!! And that's for a manager making over $100,000 per year. So you can brag about how "much" you're going to get as much as you'd like...I know differently. I won't divulge exact figures because it's very possible FedEx could figure-out who this individual is. I'm guessing you're an ops manager, so whatever you are making isn't far removed from this person unless you are much higher on the totem pole. Chances are, you make less, because he was in a major market.

Historically, managers have been much more replacable at FedEx, with turnover rates that were sky high until the recent recession, so get your facts right before you start spewing lies here. Many hourlies avoided management due to the low starting pay, high turnover, and soul-selling requirements of the job. Ethically, I could never bring myself to the point of a) being a professional shill and liar for the corporation or b) selling my soul to a company that would gladly use me like a trash can liner and then throw me away when I was used-up. When they dump you, send us a picture from beneath the bus so we know what it looks like, OK?

bbsam

Staff member
MrFedex your manager friend is doing as expected. Pension 1/3, savings 1/3, Social security 1/3. If your numbers are correct, he should have just over 100,000 a year. Remember, pension plans were never meant to fund anyone's retirement completely.

FedEx2000

MrFedex your manager friend is doing as expected. Pension 1/3, savings 1/3, Social security 1/3. If your numbers are correct, he should have just over 100,000 a year. Remember, pension plans were never meant to fund anyone's retirement completely.

Exactly the point that I was trying to make. One can't rely on pension alone....maybe i should have left it at that.

MrFedEx--I never claimed that my pension was some ungodly number, just that it is hardly a pittance, and yes I am in a larger market. No one at FedEx has ever asked nor forced me to be a "shill" or "liar" for the company. I do my job as I see fit, within policy, and have never had an SFA score lower than a 94. So as far as the claims about the fake SFA numbers, I don't believe it. Unless a workgroup is just out to get their manager for whatever reason, which is not even close to the intent of the SFA, what reason would it be lower for? We avoided lay-offs while most other companies didn't. Sure we had a pay freeze, but at least we still get a check each week...and it wasn't a pay cut unless you want to extrapolate into all the "what-ifs" of having gotten a raise. You say you get a lot of information from a good friend of yours that is a manager, but yet you dog management most every chance you get.....although i think in the past you specified that it is more directed at upper management.

FedEx does not have a "hit-list" for pro-union employees as has been claimed on here many times either. It just doesn't exist....maybe at your station they use it as a fear tactic, but it is definitely not practiced company wide.

Managers are replaceable, b/c we promote (usually) good employees from within, so there are many to choose from. Unfortunately, many couriers who think they could do 10 times better than their current manager fail b/c they don't realize what it really takes. Others do very well. Being a great courier does not mean you will be even a marginally good manager.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly the point that I was trying to make. One can't rely on pension alone....maybe i should have left it at that.

MrFedEx--I never claimed that my pension was some ungodly number, just that it is hardly a pittance, and yes I am in a larger market. No one at FedEx has ever asked nor forced me to be a "shill" or "liar" for the company. I do my job as I see fit, within policy, and have never had an SFA score lower than a 94. So as far as the claims about the fake SFA numbers, I don't believe it. Unless a workgroup is just out to get their manager for whatever reason, which is not even close to the intent of the SFA, what reason would it be lower for? We avoided lay-offs while most other companies didn't. Sure we had a pay freeze, but at least we still get a check each week...and it wasn't a pay cut unless you want to extrapolate into all the "what-ifs" of having gotten a raise. You say you get a lot of information from a good friend of yours that is a manager, but yet you dog management most every chance you get.....although i think in the past you specified that it is more directed at upper management.

FedEx does not have a "hit-list" for pro-union employees as has been claimed on here many times either. It just doesn't exist....maybe at your station they use it as a fear tactic, but it is definitely not practiced company wide.

Managers are replaceable, b/c we promote (usually) good employees from within, so there are many to choose from. Unfortunately, many couriers who think they could do 10 times better than their current manager fail b/c they don't realize what it really takes. Others do very well. Being a great courier does not mean you will be even a marginally good manager.

First off, there IS a list. It's been shown to me and exists. If it's a "creation", then shame on them for using another intimidation tactic. I seriously doubt that my district is the only one that has such a thing. Second, judging by your username, you started with FedEx in 2000. That would give you a maximum of 8 years under the Traditional Plan and 2 under the PPA. One would think that doesn't represent a great amount of money. If you are an Ops Manager, you're also under the PPA, and there are plenty of them that don't care for it either.

I really love the way you and the other "Free Market" types get on here and rationalize the loss of our pension. Just "get rid of it" to maximize profit and make the employee almost totally responsible for their own retirement. Horatio Alger and his tea-bag descendants are both very proud of you. Fred didn't have to eliminate it, but he did because he could. The passenger airline crisis was a boon for Fred because he could claim his "airline" was suffering too, even though profits were at record levels. It was just a convenient excuse that came along at exactly the right time for him to make his case.

Your post basically reads like a list of FedEx talking points. which isn't surprising. Spinning-it so it sounds like you are doing us a favor by allowing us to keep our jobs is the company line all the way, which would make you one of their shills, wouldn't it? Please don't insult my intelligence with the usual excuses. I've heard them all before, and none of them hold pass the smell test. Keep trying, OK?

vantexan

Well at least you admitted you are a mgr. You might go back and review the posts on this thread. The way you described couriers and what we are worth certainly won't convince many that the company truly cares about them. Just remember, when you are enjoying all the nice things that your pay and bonuses provide, like a decent retirement, college for your kids, etc, keep in mind that many employees are doing without while doing the work that makes that happen for you. Judging from your posts I doubt that it matters, but maybe you'll see it someday.

FedEx2000

First off, there IS a list. It's been shown to me and exists. If it's a "creation", then shame on them for using another intimidation tactic. I seriously doubt that my district is the only one that has such a thing. Second, judging by your username, you started with FedEx in 2000. That would give you a maximum of 8 years under the Traditional Plan and 2 under the PPA. One would think that doesn't represent a great amount of money. If you are an Ops Manager, you're also under the PPA, and there are plenty of them that don't care for it either.

I really love the way you and the other "Free Market" types get on here and rationalize the loss of our pension. Just "get rid of it" to maximize profit and make the employee almost totally responsible for their own retirement. Horatio Alger and his tea-bag descendants are both very proud of you. Fred didn't have to eliminate it, but he did because he could. The passenger airline crisis was a boon for Fred because he could claim his "airline" was suffering too, even though profits were at record levels. It was just a convenient excuse that came along at exactly the right time for him to make his case.

Your post basically reads like a list of FedEx talking points. which isn't surprising. Spinning-it so it sounds like you are doing us a favor by allowing us to keep our jobs is the company line all the way, which would make you one of their shills, wouldn't it? Please don't insult my intelligence with the usual excuses. I've heard them all before, and none of them hold pass the smell test. Keep trying, OK?

I've worked in 4 different districts....never seen nor heard of the "list".

I never said get rid of it to maximize profits....at least quote me accurately. I'm not going to say that the "pension" plan is all that, but as I stated before, I've accepted the fact that it is what it is and I'll use other options to take care of the rest as best I can. Do you really want your entire retirement handled by a company that you distrust all the way to the top? Or managed by a Union that is also looking out for itself, not you? I prefer to have it in multiple arenas....diversify and all....but maybe that's just me.

Not spinning anything either, just stating my opinion just like everyone else.....doesn't matter if you like it. No one is forcing me to say it. I enjoy my job and I try to make it enjoyable for the people around me.......why be miserable and bash the company that has provided everything that you do have in life? Where does it get you besides alone at a computer arguing with anyone whose opinions differs? Oh, and I really love the way you enjoy stereotyping people and placing them in to specific groups b/c of one thing or another. Read a few more books and drop some more historical references...it doesn't make you sound pretentious at all.