WOW!! A Fully-Funded Pension

vantexan

Great post, and your situation is similar to that of thousands of other FedEx employees who hired-on with a company that was a completely different place in years past. Your decision to stay is based on the economy, not the false impression that FedEx is a great place to work. It used to be, but those days are long gone. When the economy improves, many will be leaving and Fred will be stuck with the leftovers.

The one thing we need to keep in mind is that FedEx thinks everything is just fine in terms of our compensation and benefits. They have absolutely no intention of giving us a penny more if they can possibly avoid it. FedEx 2000 gets on here and says that management hasn't been directed to be anti-union, but in the meantime Fred has poured $21 million into his anti-union efforts. That seems like a logical disconnect to me, and it makes local management statements that they haven't been "instructed" suspect at best.

Fred isn't your buddy and neither are the Teamsters, but they are the one chance we have to finally have some bargaining power with FedEx. As of right now, we are totally at their mercy, with absolutely zero say in the actions FedEx takes, and it's been that way for way too long.

All Fred had to do was be fair and equitable. Unfortunately, neither of those words are in his vocabulary when it comes to hourly employees. We have one good option, and that is to vote-in a union and force Smith to change his tune. It's wrong when a 150% courier takes 20 years to top-out, especially at a company that's supposed to be all about merit. Paper Bravo Zulus, pizza parties and donuts aren't legitimate substitutes for a fatter paycheck and they never will be, but that's how FedEx has been recognizing superior effort for far too long. It's a complete joke. It's time to stick the pizzas and donuts straight-up where Fred will feel them most. Perhaps we should cancel all of those executive perks and bonuses and reward them with Costco BBQ's and Domino's too.

I agree with what you say, but to be honest I'd gladly take being topped out, and top-out bumped up a bit. I'm looking at it strictly from how long voting a union in will take and then even more time to negotiate. I'm on limited time, not looking at another 20+ years. I can certainly understand if younger workers want more, but for me if the company wants to keep a union out by offering us a better deal pretty quick I'll take it. If anyone says think of others, not just yourself, I'll just think of all those years in all those locations where I worked really hard and was openly resented by many coworkers for doing so. Alot of people want great pay without really earning it. I've earned it, and want better than I'm getting. I have to take personal responsibility too, I got frustrated and quit, should have hung in there. But I didn't expect the company to do what they've done, now asking them, for what good it'll do, to reconsider before it's too late and give us a better deal. A union may be our only option, but it doesn't have to be. Strictly up to FedEx at this point. I've said all I can say on the subject, from now on just going to do my job and hope for the best. Eventually I'll be gone, either because I reached 55, maybe later, or because the company, who knows who I am, will try to get rid of me for things I've pointed out here. But I have no more interest in fighting with them. Life is short, do what you must, but don't waste it. Vaya con dios, amigos!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Two things, FedEx is very unlikely to offer us "a better deal" (meaning one that's worthwhile) or even if they did, Fred and Co. would just take it all away again eventually. Never expect to get anything in writing that can't be altered by a stroke of the pen from FedEx alone. They can't be trusted.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Two things, FedEx is very unlikely to offer us "a better deal" (meaning one that's worthwhile) or even if they did, Fred and Co. would just take it all away again eventually. Never expect to get anything in writing that can't be altered by a stroke of the pen from FedEx alone. They can't be trusted.

No, they can't. Historically, almost any gains we've made have been countered with take-aways somewhere else. Honesty isn't one of Fred's strong points, is it?

Ricochet1a

I agree with what you say, but to be honest I'd gladly take being topped out, and top-out bumped up a bit. I'm looking at it strictly from how long voting a union in will take and then even more time to negotiate. I'm on limited time, not looking at another 20+ years. I can certainly understand if younger workers want more, but for me if the company wants to keep a union out by offering us a better deal pretty quick I'll take it. If anyone says think of others, not just yourself, I'll just think of all those years in all those locations where I worked really hard and was openly resented by many coworkers for doing so. Alot of people want great pay without really earning it. I've earned it, and want better than I'm getting. I have to take personal responsibility too, I got frustrated and quit, should have hung in there. But I didn't expect the company to do what they've done, now asking them, for what good it'll do, to reconsider before it's too late and give us a better deal. A union may be our only option, but it doesn't have to be. Strictly up to FedEx at this point. I've said all I can say on the subject, from now on just going to do my job and hope for the best. Eventually I'll be gone, either because I reached 55, maybe later, or because the company, who knows who I am, will try to get rid of me for things I've pointed out here. But I have no more interest in fighting with them. Life is short, do what you must, but don't waste it. Vaya con dios, amigos!

You are still thinking that Fred is going to have a "road to Damascus" moment and finally see the light and change his ways. It isn't going to happen. Everyone that is holding out hope for Fred to just "do what is right" is engaged in serious self delusion. Fred is doing what is right, for himself and the stock price of FDX.

It is all very simple.

There are two alternatives.

The first alternative is the status quo - pay stagnation, joke of a pension, disposable wage employees and having hope that you'll still have a job 5 years from now.

The second alternative is to certify a union. There are no guarantees what a union will provide, but it will be a hell of a lot more than what Fred is promising - and his promises aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

The time is fast approaching to make a decision. Those who want to put their trust in Fred, best of wishes to you and please do us the favor of taking your posting activity over to I am FedEx, that is where you belong.

Those of us that want to take a genuine risk in improving the compensation of Express hourly employees, get the word out.

It is going to get ugly, it is going to result in intimidation tactics on the part of Express and there are no guarantees. Nothing in life worth having has a guarantee behind it. It has risk along with the possibility of short term loss. Be prepared to take that short term loss with the hope, the hope that you can better your compensation and have some pay equity with UPS and some form of job security that doesn't reduce you to living in a double wide.

bbsam

Staff member
Why do they belong at Iamfedex.com and you and mrfedex can stay here?:dissapointed: I expected more of you Ricochet.

Ricochet1a

Why do they belong at Iamfedex.com and you and mrfedex can stay here?:dissapointed: I expected more of you Ricochet.

Because this is a fight that has two separate and distinct sides. It is time to make a decision and choose which team one is going to play for. Those that wish to join with Fred, best wishes and farewell.

However, they need to recognize that their choice has consequences for both themselves and I. There is no middle ground. If someone chooses to side with Fred, they are actively attempting to thwart my ability and those who think likewise to make a change. This isn't something where people can "agree to disagree". Disputes like this are never amicable, nor lend themselves to diplomatic discourse. It is time to make a decision and live with the consequences.

bbsam

Staff member
Hello? This is BC. This isn't some kind of staging ground for union geurilla warfare on Fedex. This is an open exchange of ideas, thoughts, fears, and considerations. If they are contrary to your views, so be it. If they thwart your desire for change, so be it. This is not a sanctuary for the discontent. You of all people are both very intelligent and well spoken. And yet instead of coherently, smartly, and convincingly stating, defending, and enhancing your point of view, you would insist that other sides go elsewhere. You really are better than that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hello? This is BC. This isn't some kind of staging ground for union geurilla warfare on Fedex. This is an open exchange of ideas, thoughts, fears, and considerations. If they are contrary to your views, so be it. If they thwart your desire for change, so be it. This is not a sanctuary for the discontent. You of all people are both very intelligent and well spoken. And yet instead of coherently, smartly, and convincingly stating, defending, and enhancing your point of view, you would insist that other sides go elsewhere. You really are better than that.

Is this a staging ground for people like you that advocate for FedEx without really understanding the situation? All you really seem to care about is the potential shift of Express business over to Ground. Fine, we get that, and also understand that you simply don't "get it" when it comes to dealing with an SOB like Fred S. It is "kill or be killed" at this point, and it is a very simple "debate". Either you are for the status quo OR you want real change...NOW. Fred is not going to have a "come to Jesus" moment because it isn't in his playbook. I agree with Ricochet1a that there is only one answer.... a union.

bbsam

Staff member
Look, I don't tell you and Richochet to go play on Fedex Watch, do I? So why would one presume to suggest who belongs here and who does not? I am well aware of your position and that of Ricochet and quite frankly, I don't have a problem with your positions. I don't have a problem posting morning noon and night how horrible Smith and Fedex are. I simply don't understand the desire to silence others. It's a moot point though. Neither the moderators nor cheryl would acquiesce to your silly desires and you don't have the power to censor contrary views. So really it's up to you to make your points relevant, purposeful, and convincing equal and exceeding those of members with whom you take issue.

quadro

Look, I don't tell you and Richochet to go play on Fedex Watch, do I? So why would one presume to suggest who belongs here and who does not? I am well aware of your position and that of Ricochet and quite frankly, I don't have a problem with your positions. I don't have a problem posting morning noon and night how horrible Smith and Fedex are. I simply don't understand the desire to silence others. It's a moot point though. Neither the moderators nor cheryl would acquiesce to your silly desires and you don't have the power to censor contrary views. So really it's up to you to make your points relevant, purposeful, and convincing equal and exceeding those of members with whom you take issue.
But as they've clearly stated, entertaining opposing viewpoints might sway people against their agenda. Can't possibly take a chance for their side to succeed on merit alone. Have to silence those who would dissent. Which is really a shame because when they make valid points, while I might not agree with them, they are good and valid points. They should be strong enough to stand on their own but why take a chance if you don't have to.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But as they've clearly stated, entertaining opposing viewpoints might sway people against their agenda. Can't possibly take a chance for their side to succeed on merit alone. Have to silence those who would dissent. Which is really a shame because when they make valid points, while I might not agree with them, they are good and valid points. They should be strong enough to stand on their own but why take a chance if you don't have to.

A weak argument. You have the same right to post your opinion here as I do. I don't control this site, nor do you. The fact that I usually disagree with you and the other apologists obviously upsets you, probably because you feel I should just see things your way. That isn't going to happen.

bbsam

Staff member
A weak argument. You have the same right to post your opinion here as I do. I don't control this site, nor do you. The fact that I usually disagree with you and the other apologists obviously upsets you, probably because you feel I should just see things your way. That isn't going to happen.
Yeah. That's what I said.:happy2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah. That's what I said.:happy2:

I know, so why do you think Ricochet1a and I somehow "control" this site? We don't. It's a free forum, and it's OK to agree to disagree. I hate Smith and quadro loves him. It doesn't bother me that he adores Fred, so why should it bother him that I do not?

bbsam

Staff member
I know, so why do you think Ricochet1a and I somehow "control" this site? We don't. It's a free forum, and it's OK to agree to disagree. I hate Smith and quadro loves him. It doesn't bother me that he adores Fred, so why should it bother him that I do not?

It is not that you do control it. It is that Richochet suggested that posters supporting Fred should "take their posting elsewhere" namely IamFedex.com. That would suggest that he wants to control it, don't you think?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is not that you do control it. It is that Richochet suggested that posters supporting Fred should "take their posting elsewhere" namely IamFedex.com. That would suggest that he wants to control it, don't you think?

Not really. I think he's saying that if you can't kick the Kool-Aid habit and deal with reality, then you might as well head over to Iamfedex.com and spew butterflys and rainbow ponies for Fred.

bbsam

Staff member
Not really. I think he's saying that if you can't kick the Kool-Aid habit and deal with reality, then you might as well head over to Iamfedex.com and spew butterflys and rainbow ponies for Fred.
Sounds more like he can't handle an opposing view point.

quadro

Calling it a weak argument doesn't make it so. I never said you didn't have the right to post your opinion. I was commenting on what bbsam said. Don't be so full of yourself. You don't upset me and I don't feel that you should just see things my way. I simply provide opposing viewpoints to your viewpoints. If you cannot live with that then that's your issue and nobody else's.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Calling it a weak argument doesn't make it so. I never said you didn't have the right to post your opinion. I was commenting on what bbsam said. Don't be so full of yourself. You don't upset me and I don't feel that you should just see things my way. I simply provide opposing viewpoints to your viewpoints. If you cannot live with that then that's your issue and nobody else's.

You sound kind of upset. Take a Midol and don't call me in the morning.

quadro

You don't upset me

You sound kind of upset. Take a Midol and don't call me in the morning.
I'll tell you what, you tell me how I can make this any clearer to you and I'll do it. I think this is about the third post recently where you think you've upset me. You haven't and you won't. Not sure why you think that you are. As I said, tell me how to make it clearer for you and I'll do it.