Wow...can't believe UPS is short handed enough to...

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
have a pter do a heavy business route cold. It was rather brutal...there were some missed. Feel kinda bad about it. Well...at least I know what to do next time they throw me to the wolves...It's ehfff ORION and EDD it is. I even called them at 11 and told them I was roundly ehffed. Oh well...I tried hard...but around pickup time I figured there was no sense in being too stressed out and relaxed. Anywho...rant over. I get paid by the hour right? Anyone have suggestions for doing routes cold?

Pacman

Where do you work, City,hub? I can't believe they sent you out cold.How are you suppose to care about service if the management team doesn't?

barnyard

KTM rider
I learned almost all the routes I know by going out blind. If you can, ask if your NDA can be covered and start in sec 1 and deliver in EDD order. If not, run all the NDA, then go to sec 1 and deliver in order. Take your 1 hour break and call in when you need help.

It used to be you could demand a ride along if you were going out blind, not sure that is still the case.

I learned almost all the routes I know by going out blind. If you can, ask if your NDA can be covered and start in sec 1 and deliver in EDD order. If not, run all the NDA, then go to sec 1 and deliver in order. Take your 1 hour break and call in when you need help.

It used to be you could demand a ride along if you were going out blind, not sure that is still the case.
isnt there something in the contract about three days training? I may be wrong.......but I think it used to be in the contract!.....407 we need your expertise!

barnyard

KTM rider
isnt there something in the contract about three days training? I may be wrong.......but I think it used to be in the contract!.....407 we need your expertise!

That is what I thought. We have a guy out for a while and a supe asked if I wanted to learn his route, I asked why and the supe said that he could ride with for a day or 2 if I wanted.

I do not want.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My favorite is when they say they are going to meet you on the road and then they diss you. Happens all the time with the new guys. I tell them their going to tell you that they will meet you and not show up. They've said that to me before and I tell them I already know that game, your going to diss me see you guys at 9 pm and walk away lol. The look on their face PRICELESS lol.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
There was a misunderstanding between the on car sup and me...I've done a bunch of routes in the past and he thought that particular route was one of them. It wasn't...I know the area really well and could drive to the businesses and the resis no sweat, but it's in an area where two one way streets come together (the main n/s drag) and it get's a little hairy knowing how to get to the businesses in the middle of those two one ways. Plus not knowing any delivery/pickup points was just the cherry on top. The sup asked why there was so many businesses left...I was a little surprised...that route is almost all businesses. About 85 businesses...pickups start at 315. There was over 400 pieces. Either way...they were 1 sup and 7 drivers down so everyone got the sausage yesterday. Got back around 745...and I wasn't even the last one in.

Ouch

Three days training, but hey dont worry about it they knew what they were doing when they sent you out. Do the best you can do and do it safely.

Thebrownstreak

2 summers ago they sent me out 5 times during the summer. So I gave them an honest 14 hour day. I took all my brakes, full hour lunch, called at 3:30 to get my pieces brought in. I then delivered and missed about 10-15 stops and punched out after 11pm. Then the next day I couldn't start till 11am. They also can learn the hard way.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They don't have to send anyone out with you. It is in their best interest to do so, but since when do they act in their best interest? You did fine. Go out, do the best you can, and kindly hand a Kleenex to your supervisor so he can dry his tears.

If they learned their lesson--and they probably didn't--you will probably not be asked to run a route cold again.

Always leave a mark.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
have a pter do a heavy business route cold. It was rather brutal...there were some missed. Feel kinda bad about it. Well...at least I know what to do next time they throw me to the wolves...It's ehfff ORION and EDD it is. I even called them at 11 and told them I was roundly ehffed. Oh well...I tried hard...but around pickup time I figured there was no sense in being too stressed out and relaxed. Anywho...rant over. I get paid by the hour right? Anyone have suggestions for doing routes cold?

Do u work at my center? Lol it's time to hire people. I don't understand though why part timers and air drivers cover their ass for them. Say screw u ill drive when u hire me full time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There was a misunderstanding between the on car sup and me...I've done a bunch of routes in the past and he thought that particular route was one of them. It wasn't...I know the area really well and could drive to the businesses and the resis no sweat, but it's in an area where two one way streets come together (the main n/s drag) and it get's a little hairy knowing how to get to the businesses in the middle of those two one ways. Plus not knowing any delivery/pickup points was just the cherry on top. The sup asked why there was so many businesses left...I was a little surprised...that route is almost all businesses. About 85 businesses...pickups start at 315. There was over 400 pieces. Either way...they were 1 sup and 7 drivers down so everyone got the sausage yesterday. Got back around 745...and I wasn't even the last one in.

​Our last driver made it in around 10:30 last night I think.