write up for PT package handler putting up bulk

brob5111

I been working 2 months as a PT handler. Last night i got "documented" for putting bulk up the belt. This job is hugely important to me. Does this endanger my job status?

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
this post doesn't make sense to me... do you mean you sent +70's through the conveyor system?

If so, don't do that! haha (I know Mr. Obvious!)

Typically you will be given an official verbal warning, then a warning letter, then from there the consequences are no bueno...

Just be more attentive and make it apparent that you are working to prevent yourself making the same mistake again.

Our jobs are about speed+accuracy+safety... Not necessarily in that order. Your management will be more impressed if you can do the job well than if you can do the job fast (usually).

Don't worry so much ;-)

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Safety comes first. You are endangering people and other packages by placing bulk on belts.

These warnings are meant to correct behavior, not punish you.

browntroll

i have done this on mistake a few times it was due to guys we call "sweepers" who take out bulk and smalls bags from trailers
so unloaders dont have to, well my guy left before getting everything off the belt and spa person didnt feel like pulling it off and let it go.
as a pick off guy im not to happy when we get 150lbs packages on belts, but i understand it happens to everyone. i have never seen anyone
written up or warned about this.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I do that everyday and all the time. Are you slow? If you were fast they would most likely have given you impunity. If you are slow at UPS, you want to work by the methods, because if you slip up, don't expect management to show you any mercy. What are you unloading? Package cars or trailers? How do they know that it was you particular put up that particular bulk up that belt? Talk to me!

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
At my facility if you send incomps through the belts you WILL hear about it, because, as a member of the safety committee and your coworker that has to deal with your unsafe work habits, I don't care how fast you are; use your brain. I personally will assure that someone who habitually sends incomps through the belts will be spoken with and the problem WILL be corrected. We've had a huge problem with this as of late because of a large influx of new hires, and as a result the safety committee has been working closely with management to resolve the safety issue.

One day you'll put an +70 on the belt and someone will get hurt, and you'll be flat on your :censored2: before you know what hit you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
i have done this on mistake a few times it was due to guys we call "sweepers" who take out bulk and smalls bags from trailers
so unloaders dont have to, well my guy left before getting everything off the belt and spa person didnt feel like pulling it off and let it go.
as a pick off guy im not to happy when we get 150lbs packages on belts, but i understand it happens to everyone. i have never seen anyone
written up or warned about this.
Neither have I. And they should be warned.....someone could get hurt.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
At my facility if you send incomps through the belts you WILL hear about it, because, as a member of the safety committee and your coworker that has to deal with your unsafe work habits, I don't care how fast you are; use your brain. I personally will assure that someone who habitually sends incomps through the belts will be spoken with and the problem WILL be corrected. We've had a huge problem with this as of late because of a large influx of new hires, and as a result the safety committee has been working closely with management to resolve the safety issue.

One day you'll put an +70 on the belt and someone will get hurt, and you'll be flat on your :censored2: before you know what hit you.
Lack of brains and common sense is the.problem! The other day I got 6 four foot long rolls of paper....wrapped in plastic down my
slide. Granted, they only weighed 60 lbs each....but each one, because my slide was nearly clean...rolled down...hit the lip and slammed into the back of the truck. 60lb projectiles can break bones....not acceptable...they should have been sent as bulk down the bottom belt.

J

jibbs

At our hub , up to 100lbs can be sent through the system. :likeit:

It gets so much heavier in my smaller center, but I hate it so much. A few times I've had wooden boxes or plastic crates come down the belt that weigh 50-60lbs more than me, man. Always fun to deal with like nine of those at a time....

brob, I've never seen an unloader or sorter get a write-up for that. Every day-- I mean EVERY DAY-- there's a splitter across the building from me continuously screaming at the sort aisle to "Call out them damn irregs!" Swear to God, like every 15 minutes you hear her shrill ass voice.

I also regularly see packages-- usually the long, pole-like packages with plastic caps on each end-- with an orange "non conveyable" sticker being sent right down the conveyor belt. When I first started, I pointed that sticker out to my supe and he just looked at me dead ass serious and said he didn't know what that word meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It gets so much heavier in my smaller center, but I hate it so much. A few times I've had wooden boxes or plastic crates come down the belt that weigh 50-60lbs more than me, man. Always fun to deal with like nine of those at a time....

brob, I've never seen an unloader or sorter get a write-up for that. Every day-- I mean EVERY DAY-- there's a splitter across the building from me continuously screaming at the sort aisle to "Call out them damn irregs!" Swear to God, like every 15 minutes you hear her shrill ass voice.

I also regularly see packages-- usually the long, pole-like packages with plastic caps on each end-- with an orange "non conveyable" sticker being sent right down the conveyor belt. When I first started, I pointed that sticker out to my supe and he just looked at me dead ass serious and said he didn't know what that word meant.
Those non conveyable stickers are a lot like the team lift stickers on a 75 lb box....yeah...suuuuure lol

browntroll

heard something like this happen in my hub, had a preload pickoff guy get so pissed he went to the unload with his sup.
they started telling off all the unloaders about sending irregulars through the system, one unloader decided to be a smart ass and sent
a bulk piece in front of them they had 4 pt sups split up the unloader and pick off guy. back then they would always have problems with
bulk ppl not wanting certain irregulars but now they have to take them all.

fres431

Article 44 all overweights are to be marked..as far as I'm concerned unmarked overweights shouldn't be picked up..70kgs is over 150 I refused to touch it let alone unload it. Now intentionally sending them cuz your to lazy to push them off the extendo is negligence if someone gets hurt. I myself suffered a injury cuz someone sending a overweight. Let's say ups paid some nice bills

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Article 44 all overweights are to be marked..as far as I'm concerned unmarked overweights shouldn't be picked up..70kgs is over 150 I refused to touch it let alone unload it. Now intentionally sending them cuz your to lazy to push them off the extendo is negligence if someone gets hurt. I myself suffered a injury cuz someone sending a overweight. Let's say ups paid some nice bills

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yeah if a 150lb gets into our system the shipper or consignee has to come pick it up at the hub. I once had a call tag for a 68KG piece of furniture from Amazon that had been delivered FedEx freight. I refused to pick it up as it was over 150 and looked like it wouldn't fit through the barn doors of the little 700 i had at the time anyway. I told the lady to call Amazon to arrange an alternate return method and they set something else up.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lack of brains and common sense is the.problem! The other day I got 6 four foot long rolls of paper....wrapped in plastic down my
slide. Granted, they only weighed 60 lbs each....but each one, because my slide was nearly clean...rolled down...hit the lip and slammed into the back of the truck. 60lb projectiles can break bones....not acceptable...they should have been sent as bulk down the bottom belt.

Sent using BrownCafe App

In certain centers, the unloaders have to walk them to the load and put them up the stairs. Even with two or more people it's difficult. It's the sorter or I, and I ain't going to be the victim lol, so I send them crap up.