Write up

iowa boy

Hell, the only truck wash we have is when it rains. Our washers don't seem to remember what it's like to wash a car anymore let alone know how to put gas in a truck.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Hell, the only truck wash we have is when it rains. Our washers don't seem to remember what it's like to wash a car anymore let alone know how to put gas in a truck.
I did a UPS sponsored charity event a couple weeks ago where we used a bunch of package cars. I couldn't help but laugh when I walked into the hub and saw how clean they all were.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
So yesterday I was in a big rush to get my airs off, I didn't notice my gas tank when leaving the building (I've never had this issue before). I ran out of gas right in front of my first air. Took 2 hours for a mechanic to bring me gas. I still managed to get in the building on time that night, but my head Sup. still called and talked a bunch of :censored2:. I found out from another driver she's been going around talking to the other drivers about me. Got a call from my steward to be in early today, for a write up. As a driver, I come in, rearrange truck and hurry up to leave. I don't think it's my responsibility to have my truck filled first thing in the morning, or I would have been late anyway for my airs. How should I go about fighting this write up?
sorry buddy, it is your fault. driver responsible to pre-trip vehicle before leaving yard. service failures cost money and business so accept the responsibility. I side with employees over management the majority of time but in your case I can not.

learn from this.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Um, a steward shouldn't be telling you to come in early for anything, especially a discipline meeting. The company needs to give a 1 week notice of change to start time. Yes you should be doing proper pre-trip and if you have too much air communicate it verbally in front of witnesses then message it in after PCM to CYA then it becomes their problem.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
So yesterday I was in a big rush to get my airs off, I didn't notice my gas tank when leaving the building (I've never had this issue before). I ran out of gas right in front of my first air. Took 2 hours for a mechanic to bring me gas. I still managed to get in the building on time that night, but my head Sup. still called and talked a bunch of :censored2:. I found out from another driver she's been going around talking to the other drivers about me. Got a call from my steward to be in early today, for a write up. As a driver, I come in, rearrange truck and hurry up to leave. I don't think it's my responsibility to have my truck filled first thing in the morning, or I would have been late anyway for my airs. How should I go about fighting this write up?

This is what they call a "teachable moment". First, coming in early to "rearrange your truck" is stupid. Now you know why. First of all, it's against the contract. By the letter of the contract, a senior driver, could, and should file a grievance against you working. If your truck needs to be rearranged--it doesn't by you--that is bargaining work if supervisors would have approved it; and they wouldn't have. Second, if you make a mistake--not doing a pre-trip is YOUR mistake--your good intentions don't count for bupkis.

Slow down and do your job the right way. You learned your first lesson: if you make a mistake, they're gonna pin it on you, no matter how good of a job you're doing. Here's the thing about the pre-trip: it's important. And it is required by the DOT.

If you don't have time to do a through pre-trip, then you have too much work. If you're not checking your fuel, then it's safe to say you're not checking your oil everyday. Guess what? If your engine blows because it doesn't have any oil in it, it's gonna be on you, and you're gonna face an uphill battle when they threaten you with a bill for the engine. You need to be checking your windshield washer fluid, making sure your tires are properly inflated, making sure all of you lights are operating, making sure your horn works. And it doesn't happen often, but if you get pulled over for some reason, cops always want to see all of your registration papers and proof of insurance. You've checked that, right? Right?

You sound like you've written off this part of your job, and to be fair, when they train you, they breeze through all of this, but they go over it for a reason. They have to. It's an important part of your job. Look, breakdowns on the road happen. But a lot of breakdowns can be prevented before you hit the road. After you start to grow some whiskers, particularly if you always have the same truck, you'll know when something is off with your ride. If something's wrong, or you need to get oil, fuel, or get a tire replaced, then that is your number one priority.

Never forget that.

If that means you'll need help with air, then that's what it means. If you're not sure, error on the side of caution. It's a supervisor's job to try pressure you to say you don't need help. Guaranteed, that will be their first response. Get used to it, and learn to ignore it. If you're not sure, say you won't be able to get done by 10:30. Because guess what? If they push you, and say they don't have any help, and you cower down and say, "Okay, I'll probably get my airs delivered by 10:30", and you don't, it will be on you, and they will say, "You should've said you couldn't get done." And you'll get a warning letter. That's how these clowns operate.

That's your teachable moment. It's ALWAYS on you. The pre-trip is the easiest part of your day. Get it where you treat it the same as you do when you're figuring out your airs. Never make it easy on the suits. They are lazy at heart, and if they have to do some real work, they'll probably leave you alone.

MrBrown

Throw the letter in the garbage and from here on out take a second to glance down at the fuel gauge before you leave. I don't do a great pre trip but I always check the gauges. And as far as someone else commented about physically checking the tank... I'm not doing that, if the vehicle runs out of fuel due to a faulty fuel gauge so be it; I'll note it on the dvir. There's been a couple times my vehicle came to an abrupt stop. Called my sup and the first question was "is there fuel in it"? Ummm yes.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
This is what they call a "teachable moment". First, coming in early to "rearrange your truck" is stupid. Now you know why. First of all, it's against the contract. By the letter of the contract, a senior driver, could, and should file a grievance against you working. If your truck needs to be rearranged--it doesn't by you--that is bargaining work if supervisors would have approved it; and they wouldn't have. Second, if you make a mistake--not doing a pre-trip is YOUR mistake--your good intentions don't count for bupkis.

Slow down and do your job the right way. You learned your first lesson: if you make a mistake, they're gonna pin it on you, no matter how good of a job you're doing. Here's the thing about the pre-trip: it's important. And it is required by the DOT.

If you don't have time to do a through pre-trip, then you have too much work. If you're not checking your fuel, then it's safe to say you're not checking your oil everyday. Guess what? If your engine blows because it doesn't have any oil in it, it's gonna be on you, and you're gonna face an uphill battle when they threaten you with a bill for the engine. You need to be checking your windshield washer fluid, making sure your tires are properly inflated, making sure all of you lights are operating, making sure your horn works. And it doesn't happen often, but if you get pulled over for some reason, cops always want to see all of your registration papers and proof of insurance. You've checked that, right? Right?

You sound like you've written off this part of your job, and to be fair, when they train you, they breeze through all of this, but they go over it for a reason. They have to. It's an important part of your job. Look, breakdowns on the road happen. But a lot of breakdowns can be prevented before you hit the road. After you start to grow some whiskers, particularly if you always have the same truck, you'll know when something is off with your ride. If something's wrong, or you need to get oil, fuel, or get a tire replaced, then that is your number one priority.

Never forget that.

If that means you'll need help with air, then that's what it means. If you're not sure, error on the side of caution. It's a supervisor's job to try pressure you to say you don't need help. Guaranteed, that will be their first response. Get used to it, and learn to ignore it. If you're not sure, say you won't be able to get done by 10:30. Because guess what? If they push you, and say they don't have any help, and you cower down and say, "Okay, I'll probably get my airs delivered by 10:30", and you don't, it will be on you, and they will say, "You should've said you couldn't get done." And you'll get a warning letter. That's how these clowns operate.

That's your teachable moment. It's ALWAYS on you. The pre-trip is the easiest part of your day. Get it where you treat it the same as you do when you're figuring out your airs. Never make it easy on the suits. They are lazy at heart, and if they have to do some real work, they'll probably leave you alone.

It's funny too how the drivers that find plenty of time to come in early and sort their load off the clock, usually can't spare a minute to do a decent pre trip.