Writing Box Shelf # on Box itself

How important is writing the package shelf number on the package itself when loading and placing on the correct shelf / in numerical order?

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1438700664.448416.jpg

Asking for PC Driver feedback // discussion.

HardknocksUPSer

How important is writing the package shelf number on the package itself when loading and placing on the correct shelf / in numerical order?

View attachment 49196

just guides the driver in the right direction, I've been asked to write all 4 numbers on my packages when my center gets Orion but I will continue to write the first two numbers only to save time. As long as a package is within a few inches of where it's supposed to be, any driver in his right mind should have common sense enough to find it easily. I will however write all 4 numbers on boxes that I place In the floor since it's dark under the shelves making it easier for the driver to spot. At any rate I don't have time to write all 4. Either give me less trucks or be content with 2 numbers, one or the other but not both.

HardknocksUPSer

View attachment 49196

just guides the driver in the right direction, I've been asked to write all 4 numbers on my packages when my center gets Orion but I will continue to write the first two numbers only to save time. As long as a package is within a few inches of where it's supposed to be, any driver in his right mind should have common sense enough to find it easily. I will however write all 4 numbers on boxes that I place In the floor since it's dark under the shelves making it easier for the driver to spot. At any rate I don't have time to write all 4. Either give me less trucks or be content with 2 numbers, one or the other but not both.

Overpaid Union Thug

View attachment 49196

It is irrelevant if we can't read your writing. That is the problem many of us face daily. The most important thing you can do when loading (other than waking in the right truck) is facing labels (PAL or address label) forward, out, or up. It is also part of the methods.

J

jibbs

The most important thing you can do when loading (other than waking in the right truck) is facing labels (PAL or address label) forward, out, or up. It is also part of the methods.

I've always thought if loaders wanted to get faster, all they need to do is learn to peel and re-stick PAL labels as they load packages....

You drivers seem to love that :censored2:. Crayons always seemed useless and time-consuming, tbh.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I've always thought if loaders wanted to get faster, all they need to do is learn to peel and re-stick PAL labels as they load packages....

You drivers seem to love that :censored2:. Crayons always seemed useless and time-consuming, tbh.
Moving pal labels is a write up in my budding

The only guy that blows it off and wins is the guy who is 1/30000 on misload freq.

They don't say much to him about anything

J

jibbs

Moving pal labels is a write up in my budding

The only guy that blows it off and wins is the guy who is 1/30000 on misload freq.

They don't say much to him about anything

Jesus, really?

That's pretty stupid.... I don't have huge hub experience, just work in a relatively small center (about 75-85 routes a day) but it seems like good methods for one would work for the other...

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Jesus, really?

That's pretty stupid.... I don't have huge hub experience, just work in a relatively small center (about 75-85 routes a day) but it seems like good methods for one would work for the other...
He's actively asked to train new loaders and they've told him no because he doesn't use "proper methods."

So the guy that is 1/30,000 isn't doing it right when the next closest freq is 1/8,000

J

jibbs

He's actively asked to train new loaders and they've told him no because he doesn't use "proper methods."

So the guy that is 1/30,000 isn't doing it right when the next closest freq is 1/8,000

It's a brilliant system we got at UPS, I'm tellin' ya.....

I had an observational audit thing done on me a few weeks back. I was told that regardless of how I worked, there was going to be 4 things I did wrong on that sheet of paper. The company EXPECTS a MINIMUM of 4 :censored2:-ups during a preload observation, to the point where if there is no :censored2:-up the supe has to write one in or else they're looked at like they weren't doing their job.

Expectations are high with this company, I guess....

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've never had this done for me. However, I have had lots of guys who just pull the label off and restick it on the side facing out. I also make a point to do this myself when I am loading a truck.

Makes a big difference while on road.

Last edited:

UPS4Life

I had an observational audit thing done on me a few weeks back. I was told that regardless of how I worked, there was going to be 4 things I did wrong on that sheet of paper. The company EXPECTS a MINIMUM of 4 :censored2:-ups during a preload observation, to the point where if there is no :censored2:-up the supe has to write one in or else they're looked at like they weren't doing their job.

Try being a driver. They look for ten or will make ten up. Think it's no big deal? Wait until you're in an accident and they pull your file and say well on your last ride along you did these things wrong that could have easily prevented this even though you may not have done in the past. Be careful what you sign.

J

jibbs

Try being a driver. They look for ten or will make ten up. Think it's no big deal? Wait until you're in an accident and they pull your file and say well on your last ride along you did these things wrong that could have easily prevented this even though you may not have done in the past. Be careful what you sign.

10?! For a driver?! That's ridiculous how they expect us to fail when we're observed, and then demand we be perfect when we're alone on-the-clock.

For the record, I've become pretty vocal about demanding stewards, asking really :censored2:ing irritating questions and just outright refusing to touch a pen when asked to sign anything other than what I feel is an accurate misload report.

Even then, though, I haven't had to sign my name at work in quite a long time now... outside of signing in and out of the building, I mean.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

I have been told there is no way someone can be perfect so I have to ding people on something. I usually find something tiny and stupid if they were really good.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have been told there is no way someone can be perfect so I have to ding people on something. I usually find something tiny and stupid if they were really good.

Yep. When I had an S&V, I'd announce right up front that I wasn't crossing behind the truck and I wasn't sticking half my body out to fold the mirrors.

They were just about all I got dinged with.

J

jibbs

I've just always been the kind of person to give people what they want, ya know?

Think I'm a dick? :censored2: it, I'm not gonna try to change your mind. Think I'm not working hard enough? :censored2: it, I'll stop working hard. Think I'm going to :censored2: up regardless every single time? :censored2: it, I'm going to stop caring. They've already made up their mind so what the :censored2: does it matter?

....I've been told that's a really bad character trait.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Well what is the point cause they havent fixed the computer or relooped or fixed the DOL. On my residential route most of the time the package has the same sequence number instead of 1517 next stop 1518 but you see the packages are too big now and stop for stop on the shelf has been gone for a long time since the computer snakes the load everyday.